Advice Needed on Boat Repair.

I have a 1985 Imperial fiberglass boat, with 3.0 Mercruiser.
The boat is in poor condition, and not worth a lot of money.
I would like to make some changes to the boat to make it more functional for my use, and thought i would ask some experts out there about things i should do or dont do.

I would like to make a swim deck just above the prop. As long as i clear the prop, is there anything else i have to watch out for?
I also want to make a flat "step" on top of the transom to step from the boat to the swim deck. My children are going back and forth all the time.
My plan is to remove the pipe handle, and buttons, put some foam in the notch, and cover with fiberglass to match the contour, and then put some paint with sand in it, to reduce slipping.
All of this is purely functional. The boat is 38 years old, and i paid $500 for it, so keep that in mind when replying.(i put another engine in, And it purrs like a kitten)
Any suggestions on the best way to get my fiberglass to bond to the old stuff?
Also some recommendations on paint and sand?

Attachments

• 20230706_152327.jpg
    20230706_152327.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230707_095225.jpg
    20230707_095225.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230707_095232.jpg
    20230707_095232.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

alldodge

Staff member
You can put a swim deck on the back, just keep it above the drive and let it extend far enough so when folks jump in they are clear of the drive/prop.

Don't think you will need a step to go from rear deck to platform because I don't think it's that far of a step

briangcc

Commander
Umm....If the boat's in that bad of condition, I'm not so sure a swim platform would survive. I'd be reviewing the transom, floor, and stringers before trying to hang a swim platform off it as you may not be anchoring into anything substantial.

IF you're heck bent on it, throwing caution to the wind, then might I suggest some faux teax on the transom to aid footing? SeaDek, although mighty expensive, is one of the brand names out there. Amazon has cheapo peal & stick versions for not a lot of $$.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Do a very close check up on the transom and stringers, unless they have been replaced, they are gonna be rotten !! Very unsafe for your family if not fixed !! That rotten wood has no structure to hold anything. Core samples are required to test, just thumping around won't do it !!

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1985 Imperial fiberglass boat, with 3.0 Mercruiser.
The boat is in poor condition, and not worth a lot of money.
I would like to make some changes to the boat to make it more functional for my use, and thought i would ask some experts out there about things i should do or dont do.

I would like to make a swim deck just above the prop. As long as i clear the prop, is there anything else i have to watch out for?
I also want to make a flat "step" on top of the transom to step from the boat to the swim deck. My children are going back and forth all the time.
My plan is to remove the pipe handle, and buttons, put some foam in the notch, and cover with fiberglass to match the contour, and then put some paint with sand in it, to reduce slipping.
All of this is purely functional. The boat is 38 years old, and i paid $500 for it, so keep that in mind when replying.(i put another engine in, And it purrs like a kitten)
Any suggestions on the best way to get my fiberglass to bond to the old stuff?
Also some recommendations on paint and sand?
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... Trim the drive all the way up, before you decide where you want the swim platform, so you'll know how high it has to be,.....

Then drill the holes in the transom where the brackets will mount,.....
If real wood comes out with the drill, you might be Ok,.....

If nothing but black/ brown rotten compost comes out,..... you have much bigger problems to deal with, none of which will be cheap,....

Could someone help me find the correct sparkplug wire set?
I have the 3.0 Mercruiser with electronic ignition.
The engine was a donor, so i cant look it up that way.
I think the donor boat was 1991?
I did purchase the Quicksilver 816761Q14 Spark Plug Wire Kit.
Some of the wires were not long enough.

Attachments

• 20240611_165019.jpg
    20240611_165019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

alldodge

Staff member
Wow and congratulations, you have the only work DDIS ignition that I know of still working. Most have died by now or were thrown out do to issues

I have looked but without a serial number of donor boat I'm guessing. That said most likely all the different years were combined to use same wire set.

The issue may be easier fixed by moving the ignition coil closer so it will work. Either that or get a set which you can cut-to-fit

Wow and congratulations, you have the only work DDIS ignition that I know of still working. Most have died by now or were thrown out do to issues

I have looked but without a serial number of donor boat I'm guessing. That said most likely all the different years were combined to use same wire set.

The issue may be easier fixed by moving the ignition coil closer so it will work. Either that or get a set which you can cut-to-fit
Do you know of a set that i can cut to fit?
The engine does not run as nice at low idle as i would like, so i am thinking replacing these might help. Do you know what the timing should be?
The engine seems to have lots of power WOT for a little 4 banger.

alldodge

Staff member
Direct fit off hand I don't because I don't know what type fits the coil. If you can find a auto parts store with an old guy behind the counter you could have a good chance of getting some help. Take the coil with and see if they can match up, otherwise search cut to fit and several come up

Scott06

Admiral
The engine does not run as nice at low idle as i would like, so i am thinking replacing these might help. Do you know what the timing should be?
The engine seems to have lots of power WOT for a little 4 banger.
If you look at part number 7 in attached link is merc and sierra parts for the DDIS wire set

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...559-thru-0f603999/digital-ignition-components

I had the same DDIS on my 1991 Sea Ray. was still working when I sold it back in 2016, never had an issue with it in 20 years of owning the boat, still had original wires on it.

As AD pointed out the system didn't last long and parts are NLA leaving you SOL... If it dies most drop in a delco EST

If you look at part number 7 in attached link is merc and sierra parts for the DDIS wire set

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...559-thru-0f603999/digital-ignition-components

I had the same DDIS on my 1991 Sea Ray. was still working when I sold it back in 2016, never had an issue with it in 20 years of owning the boat, still had original wires on it.

As AD pointed out the system didn't last long and parts are NLA leaving you SOL... If it dies most drop in a delco EST
Thank You!!!
That part # worked, and i found a set on ebay.