Adult Supervision???

Samvq1

Seaman
today we got to the river early and were able to do some tubing and skiing before the river got too busy. Since we were near the ramp we took the tube back to the truck since it takes up a lot of space and the in laws were with us. when we got to the ramp there was a large group with a lot of kids having a party at one of the pavilions with a couple of pontoon boats a jet ski and a nice little bowrider. Went back out and was teaching my daughter to kneeboard when the jetski from this group was coming up from behind very fast to jump our wake and almost hit my daughter. the grandparents were yelling at the ski. We were getting ready to go in anyway so that just sealed the deal.

On the way back in we saw about 10 kids from the same group in the middle of the river swimming. The boat they rode out there in was no where in sight and the river was getting very crowded at this point. I was looking for traffic as I began to head into the dock area and look back and see a pontoon boat going in circles around the swimmers at a pretty good rate of speed and very close.

I know there was no adult supervison on the jetski and I'm not sure there was on the pontoon boat either. I should have called the marine police but what would I have told them. Being stupid isn't against the law.

Samvq1

Seaman
Re: Adult Supervision???

This was happening at Redstone Arsenal

Samvq1

Seaman

I drove through ditto this afternoon and that place is nuts on the weekends.

gnathv

Cadet

I keep my boat at Ditto. I try to go out during the week. It can be a zoo without a doubt. With places like Red Neck Beach it is hard to expect sanity.

Samvq1

Seaman

We put in on the arsenal and we may be the only trailor in the parking lot during the week after work. The water is much better for skiing then too.

southkogs

Staff member

Actually, I would have called the local sheriff to let them know. Sounds like the JetSki was too close - I don't know about AL, but up here at anything over no wake you're supposed to be at 100 yard intervals.

Unfortunately, parents are more and more letting their kids run wild and teaching them no respect. So when they stop parenting, and you step in to encourage the kid not to kill himself by being dumb - you get an earful of "tween" cussin'. All you can do is try not to kill 'em, and help a little here and there so that they don't kill themselves.

Sounds like y'all had fun anyway.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Isn't that where "Natural Selection" is suppose to take over a rid us of the stupid ones so they don't breed????

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You mention "kids", but there was no mention of approximate ages. Were they 10 year olds or 16-18 year olds? Perhaps adult supervision would have helped, perhaps not. Some parents are worse than the kids, especially when there's too much alcohol involved.

If they were of the older set, it could have been as simple to fix as telling them that they were in the wrong area and the possibilities of getting hurt. But you should have called the law. That information would have meant a lot more coming from then than from you.

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the reason I go way out of my way to put my boat in.the closer ramps are full of idiots. But I always call the authorities if some one is doing something that could endanger others. Used to say something,or try to stop it my self. Just end up getting my self in trouble. Let the guy with the badge explain the problem,and hopefully solve it with a nice big fine.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with fireman. Perhaps the reason these kids act this way is because the parents allow it. Maybe not. Who knows in this situation. Either way very unsafe. Glad our lake is big enough to stay away from that mess. The jet skis usually don't venture out as far as we do.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

you get an earful of "tween" cussin'.

thats pretty much all you hear from 12-18 year olds when there parents are not around. they think they aren't hurting anything but what they dont realize stuff happens and when it does they will have to take up the consequenses. calling the cops/sheriff likely wouldnt do anything if they havnt hurt any one then the lazy gov. employees are just that, LAZY thers not much they can do with out proof and even then probably just hand them a warning and the kid will be doing it 30 minuites later.

Samvq1

Seaman

By the time we got all loaded everyone was under the pavillion having lunch.