ADHD behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: ADHD behaviour

Originally posted by tomatolord:<br /> Ok - for a child now - show me the study that shows a physical cause for add or adhd....<br />
here it is...<br /> Meta-Analysis of the Association Between the 7-Repeat Allele of the Dopamine D4 Receptor Gene and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder <br /><br />conclusion:<br />"Our meta-analysis showed a small but statistically significant association between ADHD and the 7-repeat allele of DRD4." (emphasis supplied)

brother chris

Commander

jtexas and lakelivin,<br />No worries about this thread going another direction. <br />This has helped me more than you could imagine. <br />My friend self-diagnosed herself as ADHD because of the symptoms she read on the internet and from friends who helped in the wrong way by saying "Maybe you are ADHD, you have all the symtoms". <br />Alot of people try to help and sometimes that help actually hurts a person more than what is going on in their life. <br />As I have been reading here, I have learned some symtoms that I have been writing down, so the doctor can have a better idea of how my friend reacts to certain things and how she feels. <br />I noticed that she will, as jtexas mentioned, stay on the computer for hours and hours, and yes, even days. And same thing goes for how she says certain things. If she would wait a second or 2, maybe what she would say would be different, and not hurtful.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I am the father of a 32 year old daughter with a chemical imbalance who has been dealing with these issues most of her life in one degree or another. I have read the above with interest and offer the following:<br /><br />1. iboats is a great place for caring and sharing and a lot of what is in these posts is good info. Some of the info is not in my opinion. In any case this is a forum and folks who are dealing with these issues should seek professional advice. If you are not comfortable with what one professional advises you seek alternative opinions and educate yourself.<br /><br />2. A big BEWARE - Many who deal with these issues tend to self medicate with alcohol, drugs (especially pot) and other stimulants/depressants. The individual may think that this stuff helps for the moment and it may - - - - for the moment.<br /><br />3. The suicide rate for folks with chemical imbalances is much higher than for the general population.<br /><br />4. If you take meds and they help - don't stop because you "feel better". The next "trip/episode" may be just around the corner and it may be worse than the last.<br /><br />5. The condition, no matter how it manifests itself or what label is put on it, can be managed and folks can lead happy and successful lives.<br /><br />6. Caring, love, support and prayer from family and friends cannot be underestimated.

matthew hardman

Seaman Apprentice

I do beleave that some people might have adhd but not as many as the doctors say. I think it is an excuse for parents to not disapline there kids. when I got out of line my parents would bust my hind end can I say hind end I hope so cause I did. I think that kids should be spanked when they need it now I am not talking about beating just a good swat on the butttttttt. that never killed anyone. I also think that takes self disapline of the parent and you will only find that in a good parent cause bad parents just don't have what it takes.take her to the doctor just to make sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.