ADHD behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother chris

Commander
Just wondering if anyone knows about people with ADHD behaviour. <br />I have a friend who is ADHD and she seems to curse alot. I mean AlOT! <br />Everytime something goes wrong, even something as simple as opening the front door. If the door lock is tricky and she can't open it on the first try, she freaks out and starts swearing. <br />Not just that, when she put toast in the toaster and it is hard to push the button down, she freaks out. She starts swearing and justs gets really angry. And if she hits the wrong key on the keyboard she starts cursing. She is very short tempered.<br />Her spurts only last about 2-10 seconds, but wow, I have never seen anyone get that angry over little petty things. <br />She does not take any medication, as she HATES doctors. I have convinced her to go to the doctor. I told her that I would go with her. <br />Anyone here know of anyone like this, and if so, what kind of meds are they on. Do they see a special doctor? A psych maybe? <br />She knows she needs meds to control her ADHD. Sometimes she buys meds off people she knows, but never from a doctor. <br />I have convinced her to stop doing that and since she has, she has been worse. <br />I know I am right about getting her to stop taking meds that are not prescribed to her, but she seems to be worse now that she is off them. <br />I need help to help my friend. :( <br />Help please.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: ADHD behaviour

hmmm... I've seen it in a few folks.. make damn sure you're keeping an eye on the behavior .. <br /><br />there are soooo many pills out there right now AND PILL COCTAILS they use .. its no wonder why the majority of America is considered messed up .. (pardon that sarcasm)<br /><br />I could say things/opinions .. but I gotta take my pills and go to sleep :) <br /><br />seriously bro chris ... keep an eye on her.. what they're doing is trying to BALANCE her out .. not knock her out or put her in emotional tremors .. you'll know/see what different meds do .. its god awful sometimes but, if the doctor is involved and she/you comunicate about it and how its going, how shes reacting to and administering .. they could help her .. <br /><br />just remember medication is a chemical thing ..... not a mental thing.<br /><br />on the other hand sounds like a bit of Turrets Syndrome ... pardon again .. <br /><br /><br />
16rwb7
I'm going to bed now...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Brother Chris, get her to a doctor.<br />The one's I know of do not like the meds they are on.<br /><br />It really is like going from one extreme to the other.<br /><br />They go from being like the way you describe to being like a sombie.<br /><br />It's damn if you do and damn if you don't situation. Don't seem to be an in between in the one's I have talked to, either adults or parents with kids that way.<br /><br />It's sure a bad way and I feel sorry for you and your friend.

aspeck

Staff member

Agree with Barlow, could be that Turrets Syndrome is involved. Do you ever see any involutary ticks (twitches of the eyes, eyebrows, mouth, or extremities)? That would also point to Turrets, but just because they are not there, doesn't mean Turrets is not.<br /><br />Best thing is:<br /><br />1)Prayer for her, and keep an eye on her<br />2) Get her to see a Doctor. Let them diagnos what you are dealing with.<br /><br />These simple things could ultimately save her life.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Amen, get her to a doctor. Has she been clinically diagnosed with ADHD? Many times, it's not that at all, just a perception.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Barlow said, she could be suffering from Tourette's Syndrome, which as I understand it can be made worse, not helped, by taking the wrong kind of medication. One thing that can't be emphasised enough is that your friend should ONLY be taking meds if they have been prescribed by a doctor, and the doctor should only be prescribing them after doing a thorough evaluation. The last thing she should be doing is taking illegally-obtained drugs as a result of self-diagnosis or because of the opinions of well-meaning but ill-informed friends and family. <br /><br />My friends teenaged son was diagnosed when he was around 10-11 with ADHD. A few of his symptoms included having short attention spans, some degree of hyperactivity, and sometimes inappropriate and impulsive behavior. One of the more obvious ways that manifested itself was to spontaneously answering "Noooooooo!!!" or something similar when told to do something he didn't want to do by an authority figure. He wasn't violent nor did he use profane or similarly inappropriate language. <br /><br />It took a while and some effort with his parents working with the doctors for the doctors to conclude that he did suffer from ADHD and then put together a treatment program for him which included medication (Ritalin). They've done a great job with him and he does well enough to be a nearly straight-A student in high school, the only real difficulty he has besides those you see with a normal, healthy teenager is that he really has to work hard with time management skills when taking tests. I also understand that is also a fairly common problem with ADHD sufferers. <br /><br />He notices the effect that the medication has on him and although he's mature enough to understand the need to take it and appreciate the positive things from its effects it he will occasionally complain that he feels he's being slowed down. It's a sensation he doesn't like. <br /><br />His parents allow him to skip the medication on weekends and during vacations if he doesn't want to take it. If he hasn't taken them for a couple of days he's a real chatterbox. <br /><br />For him AND for his parents the treatment has been a Godsend, but it was a long road with a lot of hard work and effort on their part along with the ongoing hard work from doctors who knew what they were doing that made it a success. <br /><br />It just seems to me that the best thing you can do for your friend is to, well, be a friend. Beyond that, you can help her find a good doctor so she can be properly evaluated, because that's the only way she can get the proper help she may need. <br /><br />Good luck to you, and especially to her.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If that's as bad as she acts, and there's not a life threatening disease, or something that can escalate to life threatening, channel her energy, don't stifle it with drugs...and that's a rant...What kind of society have we turned into, a pill for this and a pill for that. There's alot better cures than pills...rant again sorry but that's how I feel.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I will post from my own personal experience. I have been diagnosed with ADHD. There are two sides to it. One side is hyperactivity and the other is hypOactivity. One is short attention span, can't keep on one track, mind always moving the other is lack of attention, kind of like everything is in slow motion. Hyperactivity is the most common I think. I can say from my personal experience that anger outbursts are common with mine, hyperactivity, but not like you are describing. It is very very frusterating at times, you want things to be just as you think they should be. It is more obvious in small things. Like when my wife and I read a paper. She has the ability to scan the headlines, I have to read every word sometimes twice. I can't just look at a short sentence and know what it says, I have the need to read every single word. Sometimes if I read a book I get to the end of a page and absolutely can not determine what was said. I know I read every word, but they are just words with no meaning, so I have to start again. If I am typing and I see a small error, I need to delete the whole sentence and start over, or else it just eats at me. I have overcome this with disciplin within myself. When I was in grade school I was constantly in trouble because I didn't try hard enough, or did not work up to my ability so the teachers said. It wasn't until late in my high school that ADHD was invented. Now it is an overdiagnosed condition. Parents want to calm their kids so they don't have to take responsibility, so they get a diagnosis and put them on meds. Only in recent years has someone stepped in and slowed this process of diagnosis. The laws on these things for schools have tightened up. In the past few years if a child, male children in particular, got into trouble more than 3 times in a year they would be diagnosed. <br />I can say from my own life that I did do stupid things that got me into trouble, more than the average child, but nothing more serious than writing on the bathroom walls. Until I got older, but those times were my own fault. If a person needs meds for ADHD, you as an outside observer should not notice a marked difference in every day activity like anger control, energy level etc. If the meds are used correctly then there won't be a huge difference. Now I know also that if someone does not need the meds and takes them, there will be an obvious difference. Thaat is why riddelin can be, and is often in this area, sold on the street for $25 a pill. <br />ADHD has also become a crutch for everything from addiction to criminal activity to anger management. It is frusterating living with this condition, but knowing it just takes a little longer to figure somethings out helps. Until the person finds something that interests them. For me it was automotive technology, and later in my life law enforcement. I accelled in both of these areas. <br />It was not until recent years that I have opened up and will tell anyone of my struggles with it. I decided one young teenage boy was in trouble and blaming the condition. I talked with him about my life, and it helped. Now I talk to young people often just to show them that it won't slow them down, and they can overcome the problems with a little disciplin and time.<br />The problem you are describing does not sound at all related to ADHD. It sounds more like a bi-polar or some kind of easy anger problem. I think it would be a better road to get to a psycologist. If she will, go as a team with you sponsering. If you can talk to the doctor yourself and describe what you see in her. <br />Another thing to think of, and I don 't know this person. But it sounds like possibly a chemical addiction problem. Does she use any other drugs other than those she buys from others? An addiction to certain prescriptions could cause these outbursts. Just a thought. <br />If she is taking certain meds prescribed for ADHD, they are depressants and will diminish certain symptons of a lot of problems. <br />It does however sound a lot like a phychological problem, or possibly just a learned behavior. Definately convince her to get some help. <br />To make an answer short, no it does not sound totally linked to ADHD. Maybe something that can be attributed to it, and use it as a crutch, but not totally.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Well said DD. That is exactly what I would have said if had the patience to do so...thanks

NathanY

Commander

I was diagnosed with ADHD and being Bi-Polar when I was about 14. I have learned to live with it. Hell, I think I'm pretty normal. My wife and I fight sometimes, and I lose my temper very quickly. I used to fight alot when I was younger, I would lose my temper at the drop of a hat, and then it was on. I still have an extremely short temper, but I am not as quick to start throwing knuckles as I once was. I still figit alot, whether it be with a pencil or a pen, I have to have something in my hand, or I am constantly tapping my foot, and so on. Fortunately, I have alot of support from my wife and family.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> If that's as bad as she acts, and there's not a life threatening disease, or something that can escalate to life threatening, channel her energy, don't stifle it with drugs...and that's a rant...What kind of society have we turned into, a pill for this and a pill for that. There's alot better cures than pills...rant again sorry but that's how I feel.
I feel the exact same way. People have been dealing with various illnesses since the dawn of man. I don't take any pill/medication unless it is to fight a foreign host inside my body. For example, I would take penicillin for strep throat, but would not take allegra for allergies, etc. I believe people have the ability to help themselves. You may never get rid of your problem, but you'll learn to deal with it. Kinda like the guy in the movie "A Beautiful Mind".

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brilliant summaries of HDAD there, plus Bi Polar disorder.<br />The initial discription given suggests something akin to an extremely short temper. A doctor or even a psychologist would be my first approach if she were willing.<br />Tourettes syndrome fits but there's much more to it than whats described here.<br />Brother Chris you don't say what age your friend is, and if shes facing any specific life crisis at present. There could be a number of logical reactions to lifes stressful experiences going on as well. The right support and attention is important. Keep us informed<br />Ross

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As DD said, there are different manifestations of ADD. I've got the non hyperactive kind, often feels like you're in a daze without medication.<br /><br />Definitely encourage her to get professional help, preferably with a psychiatrist who is experienced with ADD. As others have stated, hyperactivity is too often treated as ADHD, which has symptomologies beyond just the hyperactivity part. The disease has something to do with chemical malfunctions in passing electrical impulses in the brain. In addition to the more familiar symptoms (hyperactivity, inability to focus or concentrate) many ADHDers are also very impulsive and often risk takers. <br /><br />DD, a bit of a correction as far as ADHD meds. Most (ritalin, dexedrine, adderal, etc.) are stimulants. Thats why they're restricted Class II controlled substances and prone to abuse. The interesting thing is that in most ADD patients they have the opposite effect, acting similar to depressants. <br /><br />You stated that "When I was in grade school I was constantly in trouble because I didn't try hard enough, or did not work up to my ability so the teachers said. It wasn't until late in my high school that ADHD was invented."<br /><br />That's a shame, and one of the problems with undiagnosed ADD; people think you're not trying hard enough and don't realize that because of the disease you have to try twice or three times as hard to achieve the same results as someone without ADD. I'd also change "ADHD was invented" to "ADHD was discovered, or diagnosed". Although there are too many cases where ADD is overdiagnosed, there are some people that don't even believe it is a legitimate disease. I firmly believe that this can be as much a problem for the true ADD sufferer as being misdiagnosed and treated is for someone without ADD.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I don't want to rule out ADHD though, impulsive behavior is very common but not always predominant with ADHD. It is more in young children and teenagers, and is evident in things such as not waiting to take turns in games, taking toys from others, that kind of things. <br />I know I do have a short temper at times like if my computer makes me mad I have an urge to throw the mouse as hard as I can. But this is easy to control. I have never had the urge to do this to a degree that I cannot control. <br />Here are a few links that might help you understand ADHD a little. I wish I could somehow put someone else in my mind to get the true feeling. That would truely be the only way to understand this. Just as I am sure Nate feels on some days. <br />I never had many fights, but often wanted to. Only fear of my parents kept me from acting and fighting a lot. In recent years too many people excuse any and all behavior to those with ADHD blaming the condition. I was also lucky enough that I went to school long enough ago they were just starting to find the lable for the condition. Now I find a lot of people in trouble using it as a crutch instead of taking personal responsibility as they get older. In young children and teens it is a symptom and hard to control, but as we get older by taking responsibility for what we do helps us.<br /><br /> adhd stuff <br /><br /> web page <br /><br /> kids health <br /><br /> adult adhd screen <br /><br /> adult ADHD site <br /><br />The last site is one of the best I have found. It describes the persons feelings as all her life she felt as if there was a joke everyone else got but her. That is a good way to describe it sometimes. Everyone else is understanding while I have been on the outside wondering what I missed.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

OK,I have to double post here. I saw Lake's post after I submitted my last one.<br />Yes, my bad, these drugs are stimulants. This is one reason I and most with ADHD do not get wired on caffein. I drink two 2 litre bottles of Dew each day. <br />Seriously though my wife is now a special ed teacher, but has been working with ADHD and fetal alcohol kids for 14 years now. She has a very good understanding of me. I am so lucky to have her!<br />They are doing studies on caffein and nicotein to treat ADHD. Nicotein helps, but so far is too addictive to use as treatment. In the recent years studies have been done and some doctors are starting with life changes instead of medications such as sleep patterns and diet changes. <br />I am hyperactive. I just can not sit still. Always bouncing my feet, chewing my nails, chewing pencils, something. <br />In school I did very well if I could do. Like in shop class, learning to weld, I learned fast because I put my hands on something and did it. In science class I did good with experiments where I watched the teacher do something, but lecture classes I always failed. I could not take notes, it was too distracting. By the time I wrote 1 note, the subject had changed and I had missed too much. I could never look out of a window because I might see something. If I saw a bird flying by, where most poeple might look for a second and say what a pretty bird, then get back to work I would stare at it for a while watching it fly. I would then start thinking about air currents, how birds fly, then it would go to comparing that to an airplane or the clouds and how these things flowed through the air. Next thing I knew I would be called on to answer a question and have no clue what was asked. <br />My mother still refuses to believe that her little boy might have ADHD, and gets angry saying that I was just a class clown and did not pay attention. But that makes her life easier.<br />Hope all of this helps understand the illness a little. <br />In my humble opinion I would still suggest that the problems described are not entirely ADHD related. <br />Take the test on one of the sites I posted if she will. Remember though no matter what the problem be supportive and reasure her that there is nothing wrong with a little help. Even if it is behavioral not medical, be supportive as much as you can.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

This may not make sense to you, but it does to me.<br />I didn't read what all was written in this thread, in case nobody else pointed out, these human conditions that have been labeled and called diseases, are not in reality, diseases at all. These are human conditions, this is what we humans are. If we need to call this a disease, then all humans are diseased, in one way or another. We don't all have to conform to what is considered normal, tho sometimes we have to learn how to get along, and make contributions to society on out own ways. <br />Chief

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree completely with DD, Chief and Mrbscott. According to what I've read on the "disease", I've been pretty much positive that I would be considered ADHD. You have to take into account that different people actually have different personalities. What's normal for Joe Schmo might not be normal for John doe. Too many people refuse to at least try to control their emotions and immediately go to popping pills. Got extra energy?..channel it to something constructive. Don't have enough?...quit being lazy. Kind of a mind over matter thing. Especially with kids these days, it seems people don't realize that KIDS ARE HYPER AT TIMES or the parents just don't want to deal with them so they start drugging them.<br /><br />All in all, it's just a fact of life that everyone is different and we all have to deal with our individual emotions, our individual highs and lows. That's my couple pennies worth..

oddjob

Commander

The last two posts I would like to comment on. DD and Chief101.<br /><br />DD I did the same thing...I was never bad though...I was a dreamer....hated to read and would daydream while I did read. I am 180 degrees from how I behaved back then and I am a much better student. And I agree that I think it is way over diagnosed.<br /><br />Chief I also agree with your assessment...my problem was my human condition.....divorce...isolated on a small farm....not alot of adult interest. My boys are dreamers too especially the young one... But they make straight A's. They remind me of myself as a child except that nearly every question they have ever asked has been answered or explained to them as if they were adults in a mannor in which they could understand. I remember being told "your too young to understand that right now son, I'll tell you when your old enough". if I asked a complex question to my father or someone. It made it hard to develop a foundation of trust and worldly understanding. Kids are always trying to understand the big picture..let them. :)

brother chris

Commander

I'm at work now and my boss is near, so I'll keep this brief for now.<br />Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll keep you all posted on this, as I may need some more info from you all once she gets her meds. <br />She said she will go to the doctor with me on Monday. <br />I'll post a bit more once the boss is gone.<br />Thanks again, and any more info from people who have this would be greatly appreciated. She is a close friend of mine and just want to help.

spratt

Lieutenant

All these "syndromes"...seems to me that it points to the "syndrome" of no discipline while growing up, and perhaps even some devil possession in some (I worked at a Mental Health org for a couple years and I believe I did see a lot of devil possession...remember the story of the guy who lived in the tombs who Jesus cast the devils out of? He was put in his right mind) I am not stupid enough to believe that all folks who suffer from chemical imbalances are possessed, but I would almost wager that many are!!! And, I have worked a ministry in some prisons and jails, and I have seen a LOT of guys who never had discipline, and who never even owned a Bible...and many of them were diagnosed as being a person with some syndrome or other...talk about someone swearing and talking that way all the time...they need to be delivered through lots of prayer, and Jesus said SOME come not out but by FASTING AND PRAYER...

Status
Not open for further replies.