adding silica sand to top coat

mccleery

Recruit
Hi,

I bought a boat recently and fibre glassed down a new deck. With the kit I got white top coat I plan to paint the deck with it but I have some concerns about slipping I have read that you can use silica sand in the paint to help with grip.
Has anyone any experience with this? About how much to add etc?

any info greatly revieved

thanks chris

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: adding silica sand to top coat

What kind of "Paint" top coat are you using?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, the "Top Coat" is Gelcoat. You can add sand to the Gelcoat to get a non skid surface and the amount you use is totally up to you. The Coarseness of the sand as well will determine the end results.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sand makes a very good nonskid and like Woody said, different grits give you options in how aggressive it will be.

One bad thing about sand is that if you ever need to repair it or sand it down it will be like sanding down a grinding wheel with sand paper, it takes a long time and great deal of sand paper.

You can use softer products that won't be so hard to work with in the future if you want to, a hardware store should have a few options on nonskid for paints.

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

use shark grip instead. its plastic particles that you mix into paint.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I used silica sand once. Very good non-skid as said already. But,,,,not nice to bare feet or falling down and ripping up your arm. Use shark grip or just about anything they sell at the local paint store for texturing paint instead. You might mix up a tiny bit with a drop of cat to see how YOU like it before doing your whole deck. As also said above its a pain to re-do if it isn't right for your purpose.