Adding Shade to Pontoon

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a bimini top for my boat, but at times feel as though I could use some extra shade options. I'm not really wanting to add another top, but I would like to add a couple shade areas, would be nice if I could leave it on while under way. I have an 18ft Voyager and the bimini is towards the back. I was either thinking of adding something to the front to add shade or maybe something like this picture I found online while searching. Feel free to add comments or show your setup. Thanks.

http://www.redzilla.net/20040730apachelake/pict2928.jpg

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you looking to buy something ready made, or make something?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's not too hard to buy some aluminum tubing (round or rectangular) and attach it to your existing fences to make a framework for an extended top. If you know how to sew a hem and you have a sewing machine, you can buy Sunbrella type material, sew it to shape, add some snaps and have a top. If you don't sew, an upholstery shop or even a seamstress/tailoring/alterations shop might do it. ... I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, but I'm the only one on my boat with an operators license. So I have to sit at the wheel regardless of where the sun is at. To get some relief on late afternoons, I sewed up a 3' x 4' piece of Sunbrella and added matching pieces of Velcro to it and the fabric top. I just stick it in place when I need it and stow it away other times.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had thought about just adding another bimini, but due to placement of the gates on the side and the length since it's only 18ft I don't know what I could do that. I really like the side curtains that the guy did in the first link I think something like that would help a ton. Also if I had a way of adding a rear to almost enclose my current bimini, would help out a lot.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
We have two tops. My main bimini if a bit forward of the helm and the rear one covers the back. I do have a third for the front but find it blocks too much sun. You can work the support tubing around the fence. Mine is an 18 footer also. I'll post pics if you need to see it.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have two tops. My main bimini if a bit forward of the helm and the rear one covers the back. I do have a third for the front but find it blocks too much sun. You can work the support tubing around the fence. Mine is an 18 footer also. I'll post pics if you need to see it.

Yeah I'd be interested in pics.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could buy sun screen material rom the Home Depot, install grommets then hang them like hose shade screens in your links.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
you could always take it to one of those shops that make truck bed covers, or a place that re covers furniture, and have what you want custom made for your pontoon

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could buy sun screen material rom the Home Depot, install grommets then hang them like hose shade screens in your links.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I need to do some measuring to see what I need. I was also thinking a canvas tarp may work, cause it would actually look similar to my bimini top. Those tarps are around $20 a piece so cheap enough to get a couple and then move around where needed.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Keep in mind that some fabrics last longer in the sun than others. If you only put it up while you are onboard, it shouldn't matter much. But if you leave it out all the time, canvas might not last too long.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
Keep in mind that some fabrics last longer in the sun than others. If you only put it up while you are onboard, it shouldn't matter much. But if you leave it out all the time, canvas might not last too long.

Very true. I think the ones I was looking at have some UV protection, but won't really matter because it will never be left out more than a couple of days. My boat has a cover and goes in storage so everything is kept out of the sun when not being used.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i like the one that looks like they used rod holders to stick in some pipe then stretch tarp over that. Dual use.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
BTW, I just noticed the background and the registration on the boat in the first picture. That is a lake in Arizona, likely near Phoenix. I guarantee you they need protection from the sun.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
BTW, I just noticed the background and the registration on the boat in the first picture. That is a lake in Arizona, likely near Phoenix. I guarantee you they need protection from the sun.

Yeah extra shade can be useful anywhere though honestly. We have some pretty brutal summers out here as well.