Adding oil to fuel as safety measure

dwalt

Recruit
I just bought a 1988 Yamaha 40 hp engine from a man who has a boat repair business. He said if the motor was his, he would mix oil into the fuel at half the standard amount as a safeguard in case the automatic oiler on this motor were to experience a failure. I am concerned that running the engine with too rich an oil mix over time could cause carbon build up or other engine problems. Any thoughts about whether this additional oil is a good idea or not?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Adding oil to fuel as safety measure

You have good instincts, dwalt. Using, say, 100:1 mix along with your automatic oiler would add to your smoke, pollution, plug fouling and carbon buildup, but would probably not save your engine if the oiler should fail unless you noticed it very quickly.<br /><br />I'm suspicious. Does that guy know something that he didn't tell you? Check out the oil system very carefully and use the engine exactly as Yamaha recommends.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB' right..Iwould give this guy an 'evil eye'......what's he doin selling you a motor HE wont trust?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I would run from his shop.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

JonBoater

Cadet

Is it possible the engine is newly rebuilt? Breaking in a engine usually requires a richer mixture.<br /><br />Isn't likely but I thought I would mention it.