Adding Fuel tank

Hi AGAIN! My boat has a small fuel tank. I believe it is about 10 gallons but not completely sure. With the larger engine we are going to use WAY more fuel. I would like to add another one to the compartment on the oppisite side of the stern (battery there now but can easily be relocated). I have never done a boat tank before & want to make sure i get the right type. I'd like to fill the space with as much tank as it will hold so I am guessing probably a 12 gallon. The compartment is 29" wide, 15" deep and about 14 1/2" tall.

Questions are, are there any gas tank experts here that would know exactly what tank I should get that will fit in the hole & strap to the deck? Will it still fill from a filler neck on the outside of the compartment? (the port side does)... Is there a really slick way to switch between tanks or do I just use the 'ol faithful manual selector valve?

Thanks again everyone!!!

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Adding Fuel tank

A picture would help us out better, but on our 2007 Bentley the dealer hooked up a 12 gal. aux. tank w/ a small electric fuel pump. We had a toggle switch on the dash that would transfer fuel from the aux. tank into the main tank. The setup worked great and gave us a 36 gallon capacity. Good luck !!!

A picture would help us out better, but on our 2007 Bentley the dealer hooked up a 12 gal. aux. tank w/ a small electric fuel pump. We had a toggle switch on the dash that would transfer fuel from the aux. tank into the main tank. The setup worked great and gave us a 36 gallon capacity. Good luck !!!

I will snap a picture of the compartment tonight. I like the electric transfer pump idea.... hmmmmm

This is the spot where I want to put it...

IMG_1611.jpg

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Check that big marine online store (starting with an O) in Fayetteville, NC for descriptions of many fuel tank sizes. Moeller makes 12 gallon portable tanks that are red in color. The creme colored plastic tanks are for building in, including putting fuel fillers and vents thru the hull/fencing. They make A/B valves to switch between tanks. I just used the factory fuel lines to switch between my 12 gallon tanks and a 6 gallon factory metal tank for a reserve.

All fuel tanks have increased greatly in cost in the last couple of years--due to ridiculous governmental regulations.