Add telltale pee hole to 1965 Johnson 75 HP

Bo’sun

Cadet
Don't toss the Oil out, if sealed in the Tubes/Bottles it will be fine, Give it a Good Shake, in case the Additives have settled.
I'm sorry that you feel I was gruff, but to me, you think you have a Solution to a Problem that doesn't exist.
These engines have a Stat that is fully open by 145, and a Overheat Warning that lights up around 160, not like 235+ in a Car/Truck. They spew copious amounts of water out the Idle Relief.
They do tend to burn gas like they are gonna quit making the stuff.
Easy to tune: Points 0.020" Plugs 0.030" used J4J, but Chumpion has redone the numbering system...more pages to come
Oh, that's great news about the NOS lower unit oil! It's fully sealed in the plastic tubes that you cut off and squirt up into the lower fill hole. Thanks!

It's OK, I'm a veteran of many varieties of enthusiast forums since the days of internet bulletin boards. Every forum has a culture; some are congenial, some are humorous, some are standoffish, some are acrimonious, and some are just gloves off, no holds barred combat. As a newcomer, it's hard to get the lay of the land at first, so I was taken a little off guard at the replies.

You guys have me convinced that I don't need a telltale, so we don't need to further debate the pros / cons of it, lol. To be honest, I'm afraid to apply sufficient torque to get the plug unstuck. If it ain't broke, don't break it as they say!

You're right, this engine is a cantankerous old beast that likes to burn gas for sure, but it looks and sounds so cool. I was really active in running the boat with my young family after my dad passed it to me in the '90s. Even back then, it was always the talk of the launch ramp whenever we put her in the water. I think I last tuned up the engine around 2010, then life happens and the old gal stayed under her cover in the garage from maybe 2012 until I brought her back out of mothballs this month.

I'd like to go through the motor and boat and get everything shipshape during the off season and be ready to boat next summer. I lost my wife of 35 years this past May at age 60, so next summer I want to get out of the house and spend more time on the water.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My uncle had a 1965 Golden Meteor. I ended up owning it for 2 months in 1998 as I flipped it.
In the Mid 70s, my Dad had the Evinrude Version of the Motor. 1965 90hp Starflight.
Here it is is on a 1965 Evinrude Boat

Attachments

• img520s.jpg
    img520s.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4

Bo’sun

Cadet
Flipping a boat sounds like a very bad day!

Great styling on the Johnsons and Evinrudes of those years! I remember thinking as a kid that the Evinrudes were the futuristic Space Age and the Johnsons were the "white hats" compared to the Mercury "black hats".

I ran across an NOS front emblem for the Golden Meteor one time 20 years ago and purchased it, so that's at least one part on the road to restoring it!

This is me in 1966 standing on the bow of the '65 Glasspar Marathon, with my sister and my dad. Second pic is my sister and my dad in our driveway in 1966.
0g3bNTS.jpg

NK1sUkp.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was selling it.
However I did flip/roll one my dads boats back in 1976. Mildly rough with white caps, and while running in the Troughs, one caught the boat and rolled over. I was only a couple of hundred feet from shore, and it was quite Shallow. I picked my self out of the water, and saw a lower unit pointed at the sky, with a prop that was still turning for a few more seconds.
I rolled the boat back over, and put things like Tank, Anchor, Paddles back in, pulled it to shore, took the cowl off and got as much of it out as I could. Took about 20 pulls and the motor fired. let it run as I bailed more water out of the boat. Went home, left motor running in shallow water. Filled a Barrel up with water, moved motor to it and ran it for over an hour to dry it out.
It wasn't till about 10 yrs later that I told the Old Man about it. I don't recall if I ever told him about hitting a Log with the Blue Boat, that same year.

Bo’sun

Cadet
Oh, sorry 'flipped" as in sold it quickly!

The old runabouts are a little scary sometimes when the water gets rough. My dad took us out into the Chesapeake Bay one time to the New Point Comfort lighthouse. It was fine on the way out but on the way back we had two-foot seas and it was pretty sketchy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I put the Bow of that Evinrude underwater in 77 with a Following Sea, came over the Crest of a White Cap, chopped the Throttle a bit too much and a Wall of Water came over the Windshield. Took on close to 40 gallons of water.

Bo’sun

Cadet
Following up. Rather than adding a telltale, as suggested I'm adding an audible alarm. I found a nice 12V stainless steel marine buzzer with an 18mm round body. Rather than drill a hole through the boat's vintage dash, I bought an stainless steel 18mm industrial proximity sensor bracket. I'll mount the buzzer under the dash pointed downward, so the sound comes out from below the dash. Now I'll have the HOT engine light, and if the lamp is burned out on it or I fail to notice it coming on, the buzzer will be the backup.
GOIPVL5.jpg

wi2uPdh.jpg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
nice device ... to nice to hide... :) but a small piezzo buzzer will do the same for just a few $$

check out amazon

Bo’sun

Cadet
Yeah, I'm a EE so I'm well aware of the cheap piezo peepers, but I wanted to find something high-quality and plausibly OEM. This device enclosure is rated IP50, which still isn't water resistant (another reason to put it under the dash), but at least it is a dedicated-purpose piece of marine hardware.

Here's a link if anyone is interested. Ignore the title "12V Warning Buzzer and Red Warning Light" - I called tech support and this device has no red light.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might paint the trailer, as it is pretty rotted.......The hull looks real nice.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully it is loud enough to hear, when stuffed under the Dash, with the Engine screaming and the Wind Noise.
I would have used an actual Horn, wired to a Relay, which would be wired to the Hot Light Feed

airshot

Rear Admiral
As an old boater, I enjoyed the pics of your motor, brought back fond memories, willing to bet some boat pics would do the same if you would care to post some.
Afterall who doesn't appreaciate looking a cool old boats, especially when they look to be in good condition as yours appears to be in.

flashback

Captain
Hopefully it is loud enough to hear, when stuffed under the Dash, with the Engine screaming and the Wind Noise.
I would have used an actual Horn, wired to a Relay, which would be wired to the Hot Light Feed
Yeah, me too, but that said it's more stuff to break down...

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
not much to add, but your comment about not knowing if the hot light works before it overheats is not true. simply ground out the switch at the motor with the key to ON and see if it works. ditto for testing your fancy new buzzer:) looks like you boat in fresh water. overheats are EXTREMELY rare if the cooling system (t stats, water deflectors in head, water pump, head gaskets) are in good shape. im up in Rhode Island and our shallow salt ponds are a nightmare for overheats. every year we go to the finger lakes and never had an overheat. it's like the fountain of youth for engines in a deep glacial lake:)

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
As an old boater, I enjoyed the pics of your motor, brought back fond memories, willing to bet some boat pics would do the same if you would care to post some.
Afterall who doesn't appreaciate looking a cool old boats, especially when they look to be in good condition as yours appears to be in.
you should visit fiberglassics site :)