Add telltale pee hole to 1965 Johnson 75 HP

Bo’sun

Cadet
Hello everyone! New here, first thread post. Here is the motor in question, 1965 Johnson 75 HP Super Sea Horse, model V4AL-17S:
tqIdpob.jpg

I'd like to add a telltale or "pee hole", just for peace of mind that the impeller is pumping water. I've been doing some research and have found that people sometimes drill and tap into the water jacket on the head. I'm perfectly fine with doing that in terms of skill set, but I haven't been able to determine an appropriate hole location on port and starboard heads after studying pictures of the heads on eBay. Also, my engine is in pretty nice condition and was well-cared for by my dad until he passed it to me in the 1990s. I have cared for it the way he taught me as well, and at this point it's pretty cool to have such an unmolested old engine still running. So, if I can avoid drilling and tapping into such an original engine, I'm good with that approach as well, and would actually prefer it.

I found a "mystery plug" on the forward side of the upper starboard cylinder bank, #1. It's a large slotted screw with either a washer or gasket under it. This plug is not mentioned in the 1965 parts catalog as a part # that could be ordered, but you can see the hole on the cylinder block in the exploded parts diagram.

I ran across an old thread on this forum from 2007 where someone wanted to add a telltale to a 1975 85 HP. Apparently by that year there was no plug, but there was still a vestigial remnant of the port location on the casting. Someone mentioned that it may have been used for a water line to an automatic choke in bygone years, however none of the links or pictures are still working, so I could not see what they were talking about. In my model, the automatic choke used a tube carry hot air from the exhaust manifold instead of hot water from the block. But, 1965 is pretty close to the early years of the V4, so maybe it is the old hot water choke port?

The reason I haven't just removed it to find out, is that it is really stuck. My Milwaukee M12 FUEL impact driver could not budge it on the highest setting. If I'm going to remove it, stronger measures will need to be taken, so before I do that I just want to confirm I'm going down the right road. Here are some photos of the port in question.
Uvei5Bj.jpg

N8hgjWM.jpg

yWC0l5c.jpg

My plan for the telltale outlet is to use one of these threaded holes in the lower cover that just have white plastic plugs in them from the factory. Again, the minimal / no modification approach. I wonder what they are for? Nothing attached in the parts manual, so perhaps another vestige of past model years.
1HnR5Oa.jpg

XM8SHEF.jpg

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Why? It blasts a ton of water out the idle Relief, and it should have a HOT Light on the Dash, to which a Horn can be swapped

Bo’sun

Cadet
That line of reasoning begs the question of why OMC added them to later models of the same basic engine.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When OMC added them to the V4s in the late 70s, the Cooling System was a much different Design
Just so you know, the Tel Tale, when added by OMC, only showed water was getting pumped to the Exhaust Cover Passage, it didn't prove that water was actually going into the Block

Bo’sun

Cadet
Yes, I saw that mentioned in the old post as OMC's original approach...not optimal, since that location was before the head or block and being down low, where air could be introduced. I'm thinking that the vestigial hot water choke port would make more sense being that it's in the block and at the top.

To answer your earlier post, how trustworthy would you rate the high temp sensor on the starboard bank at its age? It's still the original unit from 1965. Is it a bi-metal strip that heats up and grounds the lamp?

In terms of the dash light, I'm not a huge fan of the control logic where an incandescent bulb must illuminate to indicate the hot condition. Three fault points: 1) sensor 2) wiring to the lamp 3) broken filament in the lamp. There's nothing to detect the existence of any of these faults before the hot condition, and then the hot condition goes undetected if it happens. I think the design made some sense with brand new equipment in 1965, but makes less sense from a reliability standpoint 58 years later. Believe it or not, this engine still has the original impeller. It's never been apart...I feel like it's operating on borrowed time. I have the parts to replace it and am getting ready to do so.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That HOT Lamp is Plenty Bright, as I remember our 63 40hp lighting it up. The switch closes at about 160F, so it is far from Instant Death. A Horn replacing the Light would be better as you will hear it, when your not watching the Dash. Even a Tel Tale isn't going to be of much use at once you are in gear, as you can't be twisting around every 10 seconds to look at it, especially since you plan on using the Carrying Handle Bolt Holes as the Discharge.
Your motor has a Recirculating Cooling System, and the return Pipe Terminates in the Water Pickup passage, located behind the Cover Plate, above the Anti-ventilation Plate

Bo’sun

Cadet
btw... is that beauty of a transom sitting off the rollers all the time .. :-( ??
It was delivered from the Glasspar factory in Petersburg, Virginia like that, so I’d say yes.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.

Bo’sun

Cadet
@Crosbyman Appreciate your observation! I moved the winch strap pylon 1-1/2” sternward from its original location to get the whole transom on the rollers. The starboard side has a little more aft overhang than the port side. Boat is centered and the rollers aren’t adjustable fore-aft, so perhaps the trailer’s not fully square. Honestly the trailer isn’t in the best shape. It’s nostalgic but it’s also kinda rickety & pretty tall for launching on shallow ramps.
8tX9t6i.jpg
4YN0WFg.jpg
lRGfNbV.jpg
wrUZoAq.jpg
VMNVNTy.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I recall doing service work on many of these motors when they were essentially new.-----I do not recall anyone asking for a tell tale to be installed.----Water / mist at idle and a near full stream at full throttle came out the exhaust relief.---I think folks had a better understanding of maintenance back then.-----And labour rates for service did not scare anyone from going to an authorized shop.

Bo’sun

Cadet
I recall doing service work on many of these motors when they were essentially new.-----I do not recall anyone asking for a tell tale to be installed.----Water / mist at idle and a near full stream at full throttle came out the exhaust relief.---I think folks had a better understanding of maintenance back then.-----And labour rates for service did not scare anyone from going to an authorized shop.
Your veiled insult to my mechanical knowledge notwithstanding, most people never heard of a telltale back before they were installed on new motors, so your point is a non-point.

Someone made the comment that a telltale out the back is useless because you can’t see it from the helm (although I never said I was going to point it out the back or straight down). Anyway, by the same logic, having water spitting out the exhaust relief in the back is also essentially useless, unless you abandon the helm and lean over the transom at full speed to check it. So, another non-point.

Today, there’s no authorized shop for a ‘65 OMC because there’s not even an OMC to authorize them, so that’s yet another non-point.

The choices with an engine this old are: 1) work on it yourself 2) find a guy who works on them 3) sell it for something newer 4) give up & junk it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nobody asked for a tell tale back in 1968 !!-----Good luck with your motor.----You are quite capable of looking after it.

Bo’sun

Cadet
Nobody asked for an iPhone or broadband internet back in 1968 either, but now it’s 2023! 😃

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You want to add something really does nothing, yet you boast about it supposedly still having the original Impeller from 58 yrs ago... A new Impeller would be better insurance against Overheat. Temp Switches are still available.

Being an Electric Shift, make sure you use the correct Gear Oil. It was specced for Type C. BRP, sells it as Precision Blend. While there are some 3rd Party Oils, claiming to be Type C, beware, not all are compatible with the Electric Shift
Good luck.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Nobody asked for an iPhone or broadband internet back in 1968 either, but now it’s 2023! 😃
well maybe.... looking at all the zombies walking around with iPhone and iPhods plugged up on the Net while crossing streets with disregard to basic personnal safety , couples both texting out at restaurant tables, kids ignoring questions while they exit their altered state, unable to cut the grass... one must wonder if things have realy improved .

just put a 3$ piezo buzzer on your overheat light and consider 9 posts with 34,899 of experience.
jmho

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Go ahead with your plans to add a tell tale if it makes you feel good. Yes, the choke port is a good place to tap into it. Just be sure to restrict the flow somewhat s you aren't bleeding off too much coolant water.

Bo’sun

Cadet
You want to add something really does nothing, yet you boast about it supposedly still having the original Impeller from 58 yrs ago... A new Impeller would be better insurance against Overheat. Temp Switches are still available.

Being an Electric Shift, make sure you use the correct Gear Oil. It was specced for Type C. BRP, sells it as Precision Blend. While there are some 3rd Party Oils, claiming to be Type C, beware, not all are compatible with the Electric Shift
Good luck.
Not boasting about it really, just stating what is. I said it’s been living on borrowed time & I’m preparing to address it. Thank you for the info about the availability of new temp switches & correct electric shift gear oil. I bought a case of the correct type 25 years ago when it looked like it would become obsolete, but if there’s new manufacturer available I’ll go with that and discard the old stuff.
consider 9 posts with 34,899 of experience.
People might be more receptive to that experience if it was delivered with a bit of helpful humility & a warm welcome to the forum newcomer, instead of ridicule straight off the bat.

After the tenor of first few replies, I feared I’d stumbled not into a community of helpful enthusiasts, but one of these Lord of the Flies internet backwaters, where new arrivals to the island are hazed & insulted to establish territorial dominance while granting permission for the minions to pile on.

But it seems like you’re just a bunch of blunt, grudgingly helpful yet grumpy curmudgeons…I can deal with that. 😄

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Don't toss the Oil out, if sealed in the Tubes/Bottles it will be fine, Give it a Good Shake, in case the Additives have settled.
I'm sorry that you feel I was gruff, but to me, you think you have a Solution to a Problem that doesn't exist.
These engines have a Stat that is fully open by 145, and a Overheat Warning that lights up around 160, not like 235+ in a Car/Truck. They spew copious amounts of water out the Idle Relief.
They do tend to burn gas like they are gonna quit making the stuff.
Easy to tune: Points 0.020" Plugs 0.030" used J4J, but Chumpion has redone the numbering system

img139.jpgimg140.jpgimg141.jpgimg142.jpgimg143.jpgimg143.jpgimg144.jpgimg145.jpgimg146.jpg
more pages to come

Last edited: