Add telltale pee hole to 1965 Johnson 75 HP

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The exhaust relief on a V-4 75 HP in 1965 is a better item than a tell tale on many modern motors !------At full throttle water pours out of there.----Then when you slow down the hot water / water vapor pours out until thermostat controls temperature and water just spits out.--Tell you all is well in the ooling system---On many modern motors the tell tale indicates that the water pump is working and nothing more.----Tell tale water does NOT circulate through the engine block on many motors !-----Learning how things work is easy !

Bo’sun

Cadet
You might paint the trailer, as it is pretty rotted.
I hadn't noticed. 🙄
The hull looks real nice.
Thanks...I guess.
Hopefully it is loud enough to hear, when stuffed under the Dash, with the Engine screaming and the Wind Noise.
I would have used an actual Horn, wired to a Relay, which would be wired to the Hot Light Feed
I would have used a 12V marine warning buzzer. In fact, I did.
not much to add, but your comment about not knowing if the hot light works before it overheats is not true. simply ground out the switch at the motor with the key to ON and see if it works. ditto for testing your fancy new buzzer:)
No lectures about control logic, please; I'm an electrical engineer. If there's a fault in the incandescent light, i.e. an open circuit, there's nothing to detect it in the quiescent state. "Testing" it is not only impractical as a routine procedure in a recreational craft, but is also not a solution, because the very next time the filament heats up it could burn out and fail. Shade thrown at my "fancy new buzzer" duly noted and notwithstanding, the buzzer is a redundant system, not a primary. Redundancy does not guarantee fail-safe but it does increase probability of detecting the hot condition because simultaneous device faults are unlikely in the extreme. The hot warning system itself is not a robust design, since it is already subject to single-point-faults at the temperature switch and in the wiring to the dashboard.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, I'll bite. What changes would you make to the overheat circuit to make it robust? Remember it needs to be cheap.

Bo’sun

Cadet
It's not going to happen on the cheap. Achieving a failsafe design with no single point faults puts the application into the realm of personnel safety circuits with monitoring, diversity, and pre-emptive fault detection. To get something at least plausibly unlikely to fail simultaneously that wouldn't cost too much, you need dual diverse systems, that is, not identical and operating differently with different components, that have no common-mode failures such as a dead battery, bad ground, or a single blown fuse.

My primary concern with the incandescent hot light is that the light is simultaneously the only warning and also the most likely component to fail. Maybe there's a chance OMC at least tried to extend its life by making it, say, an 18V filament that only sees the typical 12.6 V(no charging) or up to 14.7V (during charging). At the suggestion of some here, I addressed the potential failure of the lamp by adding a sound-generating device as a backup, which apparently is still unsatisfactory to some compared to "what ya shoulda done".

I've got to say, fellas, your collective habit of crapping on people's efforts in a non-constructive manner, making off-topic / irrelevant / distracting editorial critiques, and saying something discouraging instead of something helpful...makes this not a fun place to spend time or share things. I'll likely not be checking back in here too often, if ever. Life's too short to deal with the aggravation.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, you said you would improve it, I asked how. I am an engineer. Engineering is the process of solving a problem. I have not seen anything from you that solves the problem.

I also managed lots of engineers. Practical answers to problems are welcome. Impractical answers are advertising or worse, lies.

Last edited:

flashback

Captain
Yeah some folks have a thin skin and a little controversial talk chewing on them provokes a paranoid mindset. I hope Bos'sn sticks with the forum.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hadn't noticed. 🙄

Thanks...I guess.

I would have used a 12V marine warning buzzer. In fact, I did.

No lectures about control logic, please; I'm an electrical engineer. If there's a fault in the incandescent light, i.e. an open circuit, there's nothing to detect it in the quiescent state. "Testing" it is not only impractical as a routine procedure in a recreational craft, but is also not a solution, because the very next time the filament heats up it could burn out and fail. Shade thrown at my "fancy new buzzer" duly noted and notwithstanding, the buzzer is a redundant system, not a primary. Redundancy does not guarantee fail-safe but it does increase probability of detecting the hot condition because simultaneous device faults are unlikely in the extreme. The hot warning system itself is not a robust design, since it is already subject to single-point-faults at the temperature switch and in the wiring to the dashboard.
I was simply going by the general test procedure in the manual, no shade was intended jeeze. if you want to break each system down on a motor until it seems impossibly unreliable, you are welcome to do that.