Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, PLEASE ASSIST if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, PLEASE ASSIST if you can

Hi Tom,

A picture is worth a thousand words and would help greatly in identifying your new boat. Since Grumman no longer has an archival record of their earlier boats ( through no fault of the current management ), I am doing my best to help owners without having factory assistance. So far, together with pictorial and brochure assistance, it's been a fairly successful effort. Please attach pix if possible.

Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

tman52804

Recruit

Here's the serial plate off of the 1956 Grumman boat my buddy wants to sell. The boat is in good shape, no mods except for a fin that was added to get it on plane/step quicker. Good solid boat, needs some cleaning up and a nice new paint job would be beneficial.
serial plate.JPG

norwegn

Recruit

Gumman Historian,
I found out this weekend that we have one of the old Grumman canoes that can be used as a Sailboat as well. We just picked it up from a guy that had it along his garage and knew nothing about it. I will try and get the serial number tag and pics of it. It's in great shape body wise, but could use some paint.

norwegn

Recruit

Gumman Historian,
I found out this weekend that we have one of the old Grumman canoes that can be used as a Sailboat as well. We just picked it up from a guy that had it along his garage and knew nothing about it. I will try and get the serial number tag and pics of it. It's in great shape body wise, but could use some paint.

HPIM0361.jpg

HPIM0360.jpg

HPIM0359.jpg

HPIM0358.jpg

HPIM0357.jpg

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice
Response to cowcharge

Response to cowcharge

I've been out in similar conditions and arrived at a wonderful and safe solution.There was a line of outboards built between 1946 and 1954 by a gent named George Martin. He built " Martin" outboards. They had the unique ability to swing up, then into the boat, allowing the shear pin to be changed, or the prop to be unfouled, all without leaning out over the transom, or removing the motor from the transom and placing it into the boat. I know this sounds like a fairy tale, but I own 26 Martins, and they all have this, and more, features not found in any of today's engines. They were the only outboard built with poppet valve instead of the reed valve and cage. They also have a fine threaded screw and knob adjustment for tilting the motor. No pins and holes. Just a turn of a knob 'til you achieve perfection. They were made from 2.3 h.p. through and up to a 20 h.p. model. Many are still out there and available from members of the A.O.M.C.I.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

I have all the info that you require to assist you in rigging you Gunter rigged sailing sport boat. You should not consider using stainless hardware in direct contact with the aluminum since it will eventually blow holes through the metal due to electrolosis. This is a subject that you can do the research on and decide for yourself, but I know from personal experience that the 2 metals do not mix. Better to use steel fittings , polished and clear coated rather that stainless.Galvanized, although not as good looking, also is preferable.
I'll be glad to copy the rigging info for you.
Grumman Historian

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

You obviously have the transom rudder bracket attachment mounted on the stern. This is part of the rudder assembly. You don't show the rudder or the rudder steering bar that would have rope attached. I have all the parts that can be copied and measured if you ever wish to re-make the parts needed to original specs, or want to search for them and need aid in recognizing them when seen. Please, do NOT use stainless steel when replacing any screws or washers. It will corrode the aluminum.
Sincerely.
Grumman Historian

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Norwegn,
Yes, you have some sailing accessories with your double ender. The mast thwart and step are in place. Both being very hard to find aftermarket, you're rather lucky. Also, the rudder mounting bracket is mounted, minus the rudder, steering thwart, and steering arm . These are easily duplicatable if wanted. You are missing the leeboard mounting thwart, leeboards, and the accompanying leeboard tighteners and hardware. Also, the 2 piece mast, lines, blocks, tackle, boom, and sail might be needed if you plan on testing the wind.
I have all these parts, but I can only take pix and give you the specs. since I don't have any extras for sale.
Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Zibing,
To the best of my limited knowledge, the B actually stands for Bethpage. Within a very short period of manufacturing, they moved upstate to Marathon, N.Y. and then used the letter "M" to designate the location of production. No rocket science involved. That comes many years later with the merger w. Northrop. Can't say exactly what the "3" designates, no one at the factory level has been able to fill me in on serial # identification. There just aren't any old timers left, and the newer employees just weren't given the info . It's a matter of intelligent guesswork. The 108 may very well be the hull production # which places it possibly as in thefirst year of the 17' production model year. That would be, I think 1947 or '48 (I could be wrong). Pretty near the 1946 beginning of their aluminum boat division.
Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Tman,

Once again, a picture is worth a thousand words. The I.D. plate helps, but seeing pix of the boat might help us all in the Grumman boat world. There may be another enthusiast who would recognize your friends boat by seeing a picture. If possible, identifying and valuing an old Grumman is aided by good pix.
Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

norwegn

Recruit

Hi Norwegn,
Yes, you have some sailing accessories with your double ender. The mast thwart and step are in place. Both being very hard to find aftermarket, you're rather lucky. Also, the rudder mounting bracket is mounted, minus the rudder, steering thwart, and steering arm . These are easily duplicatable if wanted. You are missing the leeboard mounting thwart, leeboards, and the accompanying leeboard tighteners and hardware. Also, the 2 piece mast, lines, blocks, tackle, boom, and sail might be needed if you plan on testing the wind.
I have all these parts, but I can only take pix and give you the specs. since I don't have any extras for sale.
Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

How much is something like this worth? Not anxious about selling it, but if someone wanted it to restore back and put the sailing stuff on, we would just replace it with another canoe, or kayak's.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi norwegn,
It's difficult to put a price on what you have. The canoe has value as a whole and complete canoe. It's worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and a seller is willing to take. Value is what the market will bear. It does have the distinction of being a " Lifetime Aluminum Canoe". The sailing accessories only have value to someone who needs parts to complete their own sailing accessory kit. They are quite rare. It doesn't seem like too many folks currently are looking though. You might try E-bay to sell your parts. It seems to reach the greatest audience. I hope this helps. I might be interested in the parts if you can put a number on them and add a complete parts list.

Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

rayar3

Recruit

I have a 1952 Sportboat I'm trying to rig for sailing. Does anyone have any info/pictures? My boat has the lower mast mount and the upper support is pre-drilled but missing. There also appears to be a rudder support on the transom at the bottom and there's another hole in the top of the transom too. I bought a 16' canoe with a sail kit (to be picked up this week after the Hurricane passes through NE) but I don't know if anything can be used. I was hoping to use as many parts from the 16' canoe on my sportboat and then sell the canoe in the spring. I saved the 16' canoe from being turned into a planter btw!

Beardedskipper

Recruit

Hi Mitch, I have a small collection of Grumman canoes, Just picked up a nice 18 today. Straight and never been in salt water. I am also interested in finding out the years. The boats with long hin tags on the side ends appear easy as the year appears to be in the # I have a 17 from the 80s. The one I got today is a 63 from the owners son rememberance the tag reads 3403-G-5-18 from this form I see that the 5 is the thickness. I also have a squar stern 17, I don't have that # with me right now. The boat I'm really interested in dating is missing its tag It is a 15' sailor with floorboards but the big differenciating item is that it has air sealed ends. Definately a grumman and the end decks have the pretty shape seen on the boat posted on this form. I know its early but havn't run into anyone who could tell me when Grumman switched from sealed air ends to open foam ends. Any Ideas? By the way I sail this boat all the time and it sails great. Thanks Beardedskipper

Catbird81

Recruit

I was checking out this thread because I was trying to find out some information on my grumman canoe and seen that this thread has a lot of information. What I was trying to find out was what year my canoe was from and some historical information on it and I'm now hoping I'll be able to be helpful towards the information your trying to gather. I have an 18ft Grumman canoe with an Abercrombie and Fitch plate on it and a Grumman aircraft engine corporation Bethpage New York plate with 271A-5-18 on it. From what I have gathered the 271 was the # produced, and the 18 is the length. What does the A mean, does it mean that the canoe was #271 in the original production when Grumman began to produce canoes? I'll send pictures. It is interesting to be involved in this type of discussion, it's not something I do but I hope I have something exciting on my hands that can be apprieciated and helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20130218_111117.jpg
    IMG_20130218_111117.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20130218_111206.jpg
    IMG_20130218_111206.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

zibing

Recruit

Hi Catbird81 & Grumman Historian

The A&F tag is very nice on this boat.
It is reported that "One of the first production models was exhibited
in the Abercrombie & Fitch window in New York.
http://www.grummanretireeclub.org/pdf/july08_newsletter.pdf

Attached below is the tag from the old canoe
I posted on 4-DEC-2011, 108B-3-17.

The Historian replied on 10-OCT-2012 that the B on
my canoe might refer to Bethpage.
Yet your canoe carries a Bethpage tag with an A.
In another thread on this site, 'Help ID Grumman canoe?'
112-C-5-17 from bethpage where the letter is suggested
to refer to a series designation.
To me, the letter designations remain my biggest question.

There seems to be agreement by all that the last number is the length.

The next to last number is often said to refer to the hull thickness
with 5 indicating an 0.050 thickness (50 mil).
That would indicate that mine is 0.030" which is very thin.
Somewhere I read that the very early canoes were very thin, and very light.
These were said to rip easily (and mine has a rip repaired with rivets)
and so production was said to move to 50 mil.
When the weather is better, I will check the weight on mine to see if it
is consistent with 30 mil.

GrummanCanoe_108B-3-17_qtr.jpg

majikail

Recruit

The Year is the biggest question on this conoe.

186B-5-15

IMAG0020.jpgIMAG0021.jpg

Copper15

Recruit

Please help. I have a 1991 17' jon boat made by Grumman. Was told it is a Model UB1849? It measures 17' long. Made for a triller style motor. It has 2 bench seats and a front platform area with a seat. I am looking for some capacity rateings for it. The factory installed sticker has faded to the poing that the ratings are unreadable. Any ideas of who I could go to to get it replaced? I have a title for it that gives a hull number.

This seems to be the thread find info on a grumman boat. I purchased a 12' aluminium rowboat with new oars, ancor, pole holders, and 2 swivel seats for $150. It seemed like a no brainer for a first boat. Now with a trolling motor in hand I need to register it as it will be mechanically popelled. This is an issue since I don't have any paperwork on the boat. I figured out where the hin tag is by research. The hin makes no sense since it doesn't read the way all the sites say it should. The hin reads 806-G-CT. Can anyone make any sense of this? Any info is greatly appreciated. TIArsz_2012-06-05_18-28-51_991.jpgrsz_2013-03-25_18-38-23_888.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.