Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, PLEASE ASSIST if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
My name is Mitche Lewis. I have been compiling a compendium of info starting w. the first 1946 canoe built by Grumman. I own a 1950? Sportboat ( equipped to sail ), an 8' Rhodes designed Rowing Dinghy, and an 8' Rhodes designed Sailing Dinghy. I also have a small but extensive ( and growing ) collection of some of the canoe and boat brochures from the earlier days of production into the 90's, when the name changed to Marathon Boat Group. I am hoping to be able to fill in all the missing model brochures to enable me to identify the ENTIRE MODEL LINE FROM THE VERY BEGINNING to date, since Both Grumman & Marathon have NO archival records dating that far back. Unfortunately, they have been somehow made to disappear from existence some time in the past.
Northrop Grummans Historic Division hes been as helpful as they are capable of. They too have very little archived info, and have generously shared with me what they do have. My Cell is EDIT. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mitche Lewis

Last edited by a moderator:

sizmike

Recruit
Re: Accumulating ALL Grumman Boat Info, PLEASE ASSIST if you can

Hi MR. Lewis, I've been searching for such a list as the one you are attempting to compile, specifically to identify my Grumman G17-S square-stern canoe, Serial No: 4971.
I bought it from an old timer in Alberta, Canada, he thought it was made in the mid 70's. He said "it was the third generation" imported into Canada. I don't really know what that means.

The only information on the plate is as stated above. Sorry I can't be much help. If by chance you have an idea of the year of my canoe please let me know.

Good Luck,

Mike,

Saskatchewan, Canada.

sizmike

Recruit

Forgot to mention, the plate also says 860lb capacity, 4 persons, 5 hp max.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi MR. Lewis, I've been searching for such a list as the one you are attempting to compile, specifically to identify my Grumman G17-S square-stern canoe, Serial No: 4971.
I bought it from an old timer in Alberta, Canada, he thought it was made in the mid 70's. He said "it was the third generation" imported into Canada. I don't really know what that means.

The only information on the plate is as stated above. Sorry I can't be much help. If by chance you have an idea of the year of my canoe please let me know.

Good Luck,

Mike,

Saskatchewan, Canada.

Hi Mike,

I have several brochures in the 70's. They all show the 17 footer as having less capacity. However, a 1968 brochure does show a 17 foot square-stern rated @ 860 lbs. total weight including 4 persons ( 150 lb. ea. ) plus motor and gear.
The add'l. specs. are as follows : WEIGHT 85lbs. , LENGTH 203 1/2 in. , BEAM 36 1/2 in. , CENTER DEPTH 13 1/2 in. , 8 RIBS , 5 hp. max. , RECOMMENDED SAILING RIG ( 65 sq. ft. ) " GUNTER ".
The original cost in natural aluminum at the factory was $ 269.00 on the Sept. 1, 1968 price list. Freigh and packing were extra.
This does suggest that your canoe is a bit earlier in production than you were told by the seller. Unfortunately, I don't have a serial # list at this present time. However, I'h hoping to have more info in the near future. I hope that this helps.

Sincerely,
Mitche Lewis

sizmike

Recruit

1968 would seem correct, I found a G17-S with an 860lb capacity for sale on-line in the States, it was described as a " late sixties" vintage and it looked exactly like mine. Thanks very much for your help.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to have been able to assist you. It also might be a '69. However, I've seen the specs for a '67 and they have a lower weight rating. The Grumman factory in Marathon N.Y. may be able to pin it down specifically.

majikail

Recruit

Hi Mitche, we just got an old conoe hand me down and trying to date it. 186B-5-15
now I know 5 is aluminum thickness and 15 is length. What is the rest?

majikail

Recruit

My lady says she remembers going out in it with her da when she was 5. That would make it older than 1958.

zibing

Recruit

I have a 17 ft canoe with this sn tag: View attachment 124151
Grumman Aircraft Eng. Corp.
Bethpage, New York
108B-3-17
Clearly one of the very early canoes with thinner
aluminum. I'd like to find out what the B stands for.
From the other serial numbers I've seen, I think 108
must be from the very early production.
It would be nice to know what year?
The canoe is banged up with three tears that
were repaired with riveted patches before I bought
it about 30 years ago. But it is lightweight and paddles
very nicely. We continue to use it occasionally.

Cowcharge

Cadet

Hey all! I'm trying to get more info on my little Grumman 12-footer, that my grandfather bought new. My dad swears Gramp bought it in 1940, but as far as I can tell, they didn't even start making these until '53... Great boat, it has a '67 Johnson 5hp that runs like new. The serial # is 386-M-6T.
Badges.jpgGrumman1.jpg

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hey all! I'm trying to get more info on my little Grumman 12-footer, that my grandfather bought new. My dad swears Gramp bought it in 1940, but as far as I can tell, they didn't even start making these until '53... Great boat, it has a '67 Johnson 5hp that runs like new. The serial # is 386-M-6T.
Hi Cowcharge,

You're right about the first year of manufacture being 1953. However, then they were only rated at 5 h.p. They were also advertised as being 12'4" long, and weighed either 87 lbs. in 1953, or 88 lbs. in 1954. I can't explain the discrepancy. They were called the "cartopper". Unfortunately, there is no-one within the company any longer that can explain to me the system used for their serial numbering.
No matter what, your boat can't be any earlier than a '55. I'm not quite sure when they rated them for the 5.5 hp. motor. I hope this help somewhat.
Sincerely,
Grumman Historian

Cowcharge

Cadet

Thanks for the quick answer, it didn't look like anyone was active here any more, lol. It'll fit in a van too, but the rear doors won't quite close. Sure doesn't feel like 88 lbs, I can pick it up and carry it around on my shoulders. It's great for island camping, but you don't wanna stand up in it if you can help it...

tman52804

Recruit

My buddy has a 1956 Grumman, 218-m-19s

Says Fleetline 1042. I bet that is the serial number.

What is it worth? He wants to sell it.

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

I find that your question raises more questions. What is the condition? Any accessories available with it? Trailer? Boat cover? Any obvious repaired areas? Any modifications since new? Does it need any repairs? Titled? Has it been registered in any state? What state is it currently in? Is it pick-up only or can it be delivered within a certain range? Can you post a set of clear and bright pictures of the boat? Will you sell privately, on E-Bay auctions, Craigslist, Boating forums, local newspapers, E-Bay classifieds, etc, etc.
If you truly wish to determine it's worth, then pix and answers will help. Then, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time of sale. How quickly your friend wants to sell also will affect the price.
Grumman Historian

Grumman Historian

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Cowcharge,

I've only been in a Cartopper once, and Yes, they're a bit tipsy. It's definitely not as stable as a jonboat, but they ride a bit better in the water . You must be stronger than you think. The weight is accurate. Your boat was the 386th in production, and I believe it to be made in 1956. This is an educated guess based upon comparisons of known years and serial # plates of others.
You have a lifetime piece of Grumman history, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Grumman boats.
Stay well,
Grumman Historian

Cowcharge

Cadet

Thanks for narrowing it down for me. I have another connection with Grumman, since Dad flew Hellcats. Yes, they ride the waves quite well, I was out in the bay with it once and happened to choke my prop with seaweed right when a very large wind squall came up. Blowing 30 straight from Ireland for a good 20 minutes, with me hanging over the transom trying to reach the prop and hoping the wind didn't catch under the bow and flip me over backwards. But under power, it zips up and down the waves like a cork. I'm in the middle of cleaning it up and replacing the transom wood right now, I'll post another pic when it's shiny again.

tman52804

Recruit

I find that your question raises more questions. What is the condition? Any accessories available with it? Trailer? Boat cover? Any obvious repaired areas? Any modifications since new? Does it need any repairs? Titled? Has it been registered in any state? What state is it currently in? Is it pick-up only or can it be delivered within a certain range? Can you post a set of clear and bright pictures of the boat? Will you sell privately, on E-Bay auctions, Craigslist, Boating forums, local newspapers, E-Bay classifieds, etc, etc.
If you truly wish to determine it's worth, then pix and answers will help. Then, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time of sale. How quickly your friend wants to sell also will affect the price.
Grumman Historian

Boat is in good condition, no dents, dings, or repairs done or required. It is titled in IL. It can be pickup in East Moline, IL. It has one modification, a "whale tale" for planing off and stability. We will take some pictures and post them on Craigslist sometime this week. No hurry to sell said canoe, just wanting to get rid of some boats he inherited from his uncle. Canoe just needs cleaned up. Been sitting upside down on saw horses for years.

I may be in the wrong forum, but I hope not. I am looking for information for my new "old" Grumman Sport Boat. Actually what I'm looking to acquire... by any method!! is a guide on how to rig and use the Gunter sailing outfit I went to Wisconsin last week and bought. The former owner was not much help, as he thought it was complete... I'm not sure? It was listed along with a sport boat. Today I bought some new brass and stainless hardware and fit components onto my boat. Do you in your manuals have a copy of the manual for either the double end sailing canoe or better yet have an owners set-up and use manual for the discontinued sport boat sail kit. They are Quite rare and seems there is zero information available on the grumman sailing canoe. If can help, many thanks!!!!

in RI

Recruit

Hello all,

I don't have answers but a Grumman canoe just landed in my yard and I would like to know when it was built. Its old skool from the days of Grummans aircraft plant on Long Island.

The build plate indicates s/n 1666-B-5-17. It was factory painted red and has the remains of a sailing rig still attached.

Cheers,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.