About to buy a new shift cable

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Volvo 5.0GL powered 2004 Stingray 200LX has had a stiff/sticky shifter cable since I bought the boat 3 yrs ago. Last year, it froze up on me and ruined a day of boating. I'm in the process of removing it and lubing up the control box at the same time.

Anyway, I see the Teleflex brand of cables for sale here on iboats as well as from another company. Is this a good brand of cable to buy? They're not made in china, are they? Is there a better brand of cable? Thanks.

Danny

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: About to buy a new shift cable

I have only replaced Mercruiser cables, but I find that the factory Mercruiser cables are better made than the aftermarket stuff. I bet the same is true for VP.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just removed the old, OEM cable. It was a Teleflex brand with a part # of CC17215. I went to the actual Teleflex website and I did some research and found that Teleflex offers some better cables, i.e. their TF Xtreme line (part # CCX63315.)

I'm going to buy that instead of the standard cable that came in the boat.

Keepi time

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought the TFT Extreme cable. Best thing on my boat. Effortless control. Can't go wrong!

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

The TF Xtreme is a very fine cable. Got it installed earlier this week and the control box now works smooth as silk. I should have done this over 3 yrs ago when I first bought the boat :D !