A true story of two teenagers who believe their own fantasy

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
My daugher, L, (age 15) (actually neice/foster child) sometimes forgets to shut off her aim instant message windows after she's done with the computer. I wouldn't eavesdrop without a good reason, but last night the words "I'm losing my virginity" just jumped off the screen. The conversation I read between L and her boyfriend, M, (age 17) left no doubt that they've decided to become intimate, and it gets worse.<br /><br />These two youngsters believe that it would be a good idea to have a child. Mrs. jtexas, J, had a chat with L last night & convinced her that we knew what happened, so L admitted to the act, and that it was unprotected. J asked "what are your plans?" "We can live with M's parents. He says his Mom'll be mad for about a week then she'll get over it & be okay with it." We know M's folks, they're just a normal family so we know there's no way they'd agree.<br /><br />I'm sure it's a normal teenage fantasy, playing house, being married with a child, very romantic, while everybody else in the world is telling you it won't work, you're too young, etc...but how many teens actually believe it & act on it?<br /><br />This wasn't an impulse decision. I checked the browser history - she's been researching teen reproductive rights, whether parents can compel a minor to have an abortion or give a child up for adoption.<br /><br />J & I met with M's mom & dad this morning; they were as shocked & disturbed as we were. We'll be proceeding with a united front.<br /><br />M and L have been dating for about 8 months and it's clear that they believe believe they're "in love," in other words this young man isn't a "sexual predator;" if there was even the slightest chance of that I would not hesitate to call the police right away, which was my first impulse.<br /><br />Preliminary plan of action:<br />We'll do what we can to limit their time together while trying not to push them into a "Romeo & Juliet" scenario. We can't cuff 'em & put bars on the windows. His parents will try to get him to see how serious a criminal complaint would be. Even though I didn't threaten it, it's still not out of the question and I know it's on their minds. M's mom is going to have a one-on-one chat with L this afternoon, to clear up any misconceptions about what would happen should they succeed. J is trying to determine whether a "morning after" medication is available & if we can compel L to take it. We're scheduling an appt with L's doctor for a check-up & STD screening. And researching the feasibility of long-term birth control injections (effective for a month or longer).<br /><br />You can counsel teens about pre-marital relations, take 'em to church, do your best to equip 'em and hope they make good choices, and you hear sad stories about accidental teen pregnancies, but who could have predicted they would try to get pregnant?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: A true story of two teenagers who believe their own fantasy

Sounds like you are taking the right approach. Hopefully it will all work out.<br /><br />Just another reason I dont like long term relationships at that age. My 16 yr old neice already has a promise ring from her 15 yr old boyfriend. That will not happen in my house.<br /><br />Kids need to see the world before they settle down, and I already drop hints to the 8 yr old son now. Those hints will become stronger as he ages.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Until they are of legal age (I think it should be 21) they are under your control. <br /><br />My sons were not allowed to date (alone) until they were eighteen. All of their dating was/is done in small groups-no "alone" time. They still prefer not to date alone. They know the temptations. They have expectations of what their future is to be.<br /><br />You need to get them active in other things besides themselves.<br /><br />Unfortuneately, what do we expect, as a society? We have successfully removed any stigma of unwed mother/fatherhood.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Good luck jtexas, hope you can get your point accross

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You should consider installing software like Guardian Monitor. It traps all messages, chat room conversations (both sides), e-mails, key strokes, takes a video shapshot every x minutes, logs all websites accessed and is undetectable when in stealth mode by the average teen hacker. <br /><br />Yes, you are snooping, and that is exactly what it is for. It's your house, your PC and its legal.

SoulWinner

Commander

Jtexas,<br /><br />Dang dude. That is a real tough situation. I would have freaked right out!

ndemge

Commander

I'm 15 with a 5yo step son, 3 month old daugter.<br /><br />If I were in your shoes, and you really believe she is not going to listen to everyone's reason and TRY to have a baby, I'd talk to your doc, and put her on birth control, take her in and watch the doc give her the shot every 3 months.<br /><br />If she "hates" you for it now, she'll get over it and when she turns legal she can make her own decisions and will eventually thank you.<br /><br />If she has a kid, would you love it? Yes, but SHOULD that be happening now? ..No.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sad tale, JTex.<br /><br />It might help for her to talk/counsel with others who bore children in their teens and out of wedlock.<br /><br />I know of no woman who did that who doesn't regret it terribly.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have been through this with the first step daughter, and now the second.<br /><br />We learned after much exhausting trouble, that there is nothing you can do.<br /><br />You have no rights to their medical information when it comes to their sexual activity. That you will find out as soon as you start going to the doc with her.<br /><br />There is counceling intervention through the juvinile court if you like. However, if the kid doen't want it it will not work.<br /><br />You can limit their activity and ground them. Then they will just disappear after school, and you get to drive around looking for them.<br /><br />When she turns 17, you might as well forget it. That is what the court told us. They will bring her home to you if they find her out after her curfew. But that is all.<br /><br />My boys I have in the habbit of buying condoms. Some times I make sure there are fresh supplies for all the kids under the bath room sink. They do actually use them by the way.<br /><br />I don't know what else to tell you here. It is very frustrating and time consuming.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Of all the fighting I have had with my son (which some of you know) he does use protection. I'm glad that is one thing that he understands.<br /><br />Maybe L should visit some teen mothers and talk to them. Maybe then she would realize once your pregnant and have the baby, your friends that are single will forget about you. That happened to my youngest daughter. <br /><br />Tough situation you are in, I feel that you are doing what you can do. Good Luck JT

SoulWinner

Commander

Well JB, You do know of one woman who got pregnant as a teen and had a baby out of wedlock that doesn't regret it. That would be Mrs SoulWinner. <br /><br />But I admit, we are the minority, most of time things don't work out for others as well they have for us.

D

DJ

It's sad as to how many just give in and let the children do what they want.<br /><br />I would NEVER support such behavior by enabling them.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Make her take the shots, or use the new patch and check to make sure she has it on every day.<br /><br />Make her carry a 10 lb bag of sugar everywhere, and wake her up every two hours. Buy some diapers, put the dog mess in it, put it on a doll, and make her change it every few hours. Make her cook all the meals. Show her how to pay the bills.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

DJ, the girl is beyond that stage, its a different game now.<br /><br />Teaching abstinence starts when they are really young, too late now.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Ken,<br /><br />It's NEVER too late. She is in his house, eating his food, under his roof. He is the boss. If she doesn't like it, there are alternatives.<br /><br />Don't mean to sound like a hard a$$, but that seems to be just what this society has lost. The ability to make rules and make them stick.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You can make the rules, but you cant make them follow them. All it takes is five minutes alone.<br /><br />I wont say anymore, dont want to hyjack the thread.<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

We're still in "prevent" defense (fingers crossed).<br /><br />I know what you're saying, DJ, but this one requires a light touch on the controls. Her early childhood was such a total disaster; in her world, until she was five or six, grown-ups were just really big kids who could hit really really hard, and didn't have to come home every night if they didn't feel like it. And if they told you to do something, it didn't mean you had to do it unless they got mad enough to break something. We don't seem able to convince her that there's actually people in this world who have her best interest at heart.<br /><br />
Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Well JB, You do know of one woman who got pregnant as a teen and had a baby out of wedlock that doesn't regret it. That would be Mrs SoulWinner.
there was also one mentioned in the Bible, name Mary or something like that :) :) :) <br /><br /><br />All you parents of boys, when you give 'em "the talk," don't forget the chapter on "jail bait." This young man probably doesn't deserve to be labelled a ped0phile, and go though life as a registered sex offender, but that's the risk he took.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Cudos to Mrs. SoulWinner. The ex Ms.Wright lost her virginity on her 18th birthday and got pregnant, all in the same night. Oops! :eek: Her daughter is 19 now and was a fairly trouble-free kid. I have plenty of gripes against my ex, but I'll always admire her courage to have had the kid rather than abort. Her daughter wants little to do with her anymore, but that's another story. The daughter has a real good relationship with her ex-stepdad, though. :)

D

DJ

there was also one mentioned in the Bible, name Mary or something like that
That one doesn't deserve a comment.<br /><br />IMHO, you need to make it PERFECTLY clear that you have her best interests at heart. Or, she will end up just like the adults that she was living with earlier. These situations tend to breed (pun intended) the types of situations that she spent part of her life in.

FSHKPR

Ensign

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Well JB, You do know of one woman who got pregnant as a teen and had a baby out of wedlock that doesn't regret it. That would be Mrs SoulWinner. <br /><br />But I admit, we are the minority, most of time things don't work out for others as well they have for us.
make that two. mrs fshkpr was 15 when the baby was born i was 17. got married two months after the baby was born and dont regret it at all. my daughter was also pretty much a trouble free kid.and grew into a very responsible adult. now my son who was planned is a whole nother story