A telling new poll

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Well our fighting soldiers have weighed in. By a margin of 69% to 29%, Bush is preferred as who they would like to be their Commander in Chief.<br /><br />(*Edited to prevent derailing discussion by labeling this a troll.)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A telling new poll

Huh??<br /><br />I read about the poll. Annenberg Foundation. It says a lot.<br /><br />What is the rest about? Is it a troll?

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't think it's a troll, just a statement of the situation as a whole lot of folks see it. But hey, I might not be the best person to judge, what with all my "obvious trolls" and such. ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It was a sarcastic comment on the rhetoric that is flying around from both sides. If the commentary makes it a troll, I will remove it.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

While right now most polls in the US show a dead heat so no matter what side your on the other side is wrong ,just like every other election ,and besides if vote with a majority just because its the majority IMO you shouldn't be allowed to vote due to mental incompetence

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pointer, I saw it earlier today, when it was longer. I don't remember what the rest of it said, but I remember I didn't have a problem with it.<br /><br />It does mean something to me that the men and women who have been sent into battle, and who have gone to serve in that capacity, overwhelmingly trust and support the one who sent them. If they trust him, and have found the missions that they have been sent on to be of value to the nation and the world, then I myself am more inclined to trust him.

JB

I think that quote marks in strategic places would have made your sarcasm clear, Pointer.<br /><br />As it was it appeared to be a statement of opinion.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

(God, why do I get myself into these?), as a veteran, I can tell you that a soldier must support his commander in cheif, and odds are if polled, he will support him. I can assure you from experience that the true belief of those polled is quite different. If I was still in, and over there, I would support my commander in chief as well because I was a professional non-commisioned officer and I lead by example, but that does not mean I would actually support the action itself (although that lack of support would be kept private). It has been my experience that officers love war for the glory, non-commisioned officers just make it happen because they are professional, and enlisted soldiers will openly complain about the mission. If you knew what ranks were actually polled, you would have a better idea of what is going on.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If it wasn't for the VOA,BBC,Aljazeera,Radio Netherlands, and others, the ratio would 90% fer Bush.<br /><br />Oy...Another thread about trolls? Umm......No comment this time LOL.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

JasonJ,<br /><br />Not being a veteran I will defer to your experience. But I do vaguely remember a similar poll that showed less than 50% of soldiers wanted Clinton re-elected. And the subsequent spin being something along the lines of it didn't matter they still have to obey the orders of the CIC.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JasonJ,<br /> For some reason I find myself in agreement with you more and more. I don't know if it is a somewhat common background or just common sense. I spent 22 years in the military and can verify the above statements you made. <br /> <br /> As indicated in the (...) portion of your post, I many times don't even bother to post a response.<br /><br /> Keep on keeping on and maybe by repetition there will be some penetration of a portion of the idea in an almost impenetrable medium.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I sure wish all this election stuff was over.<br /><br />RetNav, you stole my saying. :p <br /><br />Everyone around here know's that I say "just keep on keeping on"<br /><br />Glad to see it's caught on. :D

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

SBN, I heard somewhere that there was only a finite number of words and if you talked enough you could eventually be accused of plaguerism with 100% accuracy. I guess all you high number posters need to be on your guard for some slimey lawyer filing a suite on all of you... :eek:

LubeDude

Admiral

Its too bad most of the solders votes wont be counted, They will mostly recieve there ballots too late to return them on time. Thanks to out Dem friends messing with the ballots at the last minute. Dont suppose there was a reason for this? No, They wouldnt be underhanded like that!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Its too bad most of the solders votes wont be counted, They will mostly recieve there ballots too late to return them on time. Thanks to out Dem friends messing with the ballots at the last minute. Dont suppose there was a reason for this? No, They wouldnt be underhanded like that!!!
Heh, you haven't even reached the tip of the iceberg yet..There have ALREADY been law suits filed and it isn't even Nov yet. The DemonCrates will sink to a new low this year! Just watch.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Regardless of where and when, polls will only tell who is popular. But we all know electorial votes is what determines who wins.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Pointer, I hated the time when Clinton was in from a military standpoint (can't argue the economy though, it rocked). The military recieved negligable money, the cutbacks were massive. Because of the cutbacks, it was difficult to get promoted, it was difficult to get parts and equipment. The annual pay increase was less than 2 percent on occasion. Early retirements reigned supreme. Not enough money for training, so our training excercises were not what they should have been. Some units I was in suffered more than others. The rapid deployment units like 3rd Infantry Division (I was in that one a long time) did get more funding.<br /><br />In 2000, I was no longer in the military, but I supported Bush because I felt the military would now recieve what it needed in funding (lets face it, republicans spend more money on the troops). I was afraid Gore would cut the military even farther back in an eco-nazi craze of tree hugging glory. We won't discuss my current beliefs, but it is a safe bet that regardless of who is in office, the troops will get better funding.<br /><br />I too will be glad when Nov 2nd comes and goes. I have seen too many people get so worked up over this, alienating friendships, just being irrational that it almost isn't worth it to have the process. People have been arguing their point so brutally, that I almost feel embarrassed for them. It is fine to have a belief, but most poor reactions I have seen have been excessive. In the end, most people act this way because they do not want to feel that what they believe in may be wrong, so they over react. Its okay, soon we can get back to just playing with our boats, thats what is really important... :)

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Hey JasonJ, "Rock of the Marne" and a big Rocky howdy. Sounds like you may have been there during my tour. I vividly remember the drawdown during Clinton's first term. And I also remember that few people in my unit voted for him, but as you said they supported him after he was elected.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I was in HHC and Bco 3/7 IN from mid 94 to beginning of 98. Korea from 93 to 94, Ft Carson from 91 to 93, Ft Benning from 89 to 91, and Germany from 87 to 89.