A telling new poll

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: A telling new poll

Missed you in Germany by a couple of years (90-93). Surprised time served in the 3ID didn't sour you on the Army.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: A telling new poll

To be honest, it wasn't what I did or where I was that soured me, it was what I couldn't do. I wanted to go full term, do my 20, and rock on. I had a divorce and a bankruptcy under my belt, and I started to realize that I had no functioning life. It is hard to do the things civilians take for granted when you are re-deployed, moved all over the place, all of that. I knew the odds of meeting a good woman were poor, I couldn't buy a house because I could not predict where I would be in two years. I was basically told that I would be rotating between Ft Stewart and Korea until I retired, and I just couldn't bring myself to finish. I was a physical wreck, 6 mile runs and all that other good infantry stuff takes its toll. I would have gladly changed MOS to a mechanical field, but because I was over 10 years in, I was considered "career". Career soldiers get nothing, no bonuses (maybe now, but not then), they are supposed to suck it up for the pension at the end of that 20 years. I decided to get out while I was still young enough and marketable enough. I am not doing anything glorious now, but I make more money, I live on the water, I do the things I want, I found a good woman, and can live where I want. I miss the military, but I am happier now. Soon I'll be in law enforcment, which has always been my end goal, so I have little to complain about. Did like blowin' stuff up though.. :)