a project found its way back home

hobbystock98

Cadet
about a year and half ago I was in a bad way with money and decided to sell my 87 renken 2050 limited. i sold it to a buddy of mine who we agreed would pay me over time. since then he lost his job a few of them been in the hospital ect ect and managed to give me about 50 bucks towards the boat. last week we were talking he told me that since he just lost his job again that he was going to either sell the boat or give it back for me to rebuild. Being in the middle of a frame off resto/hot roding of pick up i hesitated at first but then said ok, so its home.

When i sold him the boat the floor was soft now it is really soft so sunday i cut the floor out hoping to get away with just a quick fix but its really bad. when i pulled the fuel cell up the bulkhead behind the fuel cell was just rotten along with all the wood under the drivers side of the engine. I have decided that i will rebuild the boat and keep it for my use.

I have spent the last 2 days watching friscos videos on youtube, and planning this but i have some questions
first i want to add some bait wells/ fish wells. if i box off the area to be the wells and glass them good then gell coat does it need to have a plastic liner or will the gel coat work?
next question i want to build the boxes next to the engine bilge, if i box that area off and run the stringers from that box forward instead of from the transom is that going to compromise the boats stregnth.
ill get some pics tomorrow after work if i can get home before work

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: a project found its way back home

I have some questions:
first i want to add some bait wells/ fish wells. if i box off the area to be the wells and glass them good then gell coat does it need to have a plastic liner or will the gel coat work?
next question i want to build the boxes next to the engine bilge, if i box that area off and run the stringers from that box forward instead of from the transom is that going to compromise the boats strength.
ill get some pics tomorrow after work if i can get home before work

Check out Sleeper6's thread for info on live wells & prepping them for water. W/out photos of your hull & stringers now w/out floor deck plus the transom & proposed box layout, it will be difficult to say yes or no for sure to the strength question. Maybe someone @iBoats w/ a 87 Renken 2050 that has had the floor deck out can better assess the strength or lack there of w/ out stringer!transom union.

My short answer is yes, all it takes is planning, money & time. But it all depends on how your boat is built now, & how you want to change it. There are weight in general, the change in center of floatation & bouyancy, total volume of floatation foam changes to consider amongst other concerns.

Welcome to the iBoats dry dock! Guys w/ significantly more knowledge & experience will be swinging through & lending their help & advice regularly.

Good luck w/ the project!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gellcoat will work.

ans as far as structural , if you glass every thing good, structural is no problem.

but we will need pics to confirm

welcome to iboats !

jbcurt00

Staff member

gellcoat will work.

ans as far as structural , if you glass every thing good, structural is no problem.

but we will need pics to confirm

welcome to iboats !

^^ Yep ^^ he's one of the 'guys' I was referring too....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Bump for pics and subscription :) .

Yd.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

S'cuse me Yacht Doc, but just read Sleepers6 thread mentioned above by jbcurt00, and suggest all should look thru it. Awesome work.

Now, bump again for pics.

hobbystock98

Cadet

here are a few pictures of the boat as of now i removed most of the floor i need to get the engine out this weekend
2012-02-07_18-08-54_774.jpg
2012-02-07_18-09-23_720.jpg
2012-02-07_18-09-30_617.jpg
2012-02-07_18-10-26_201.jpgthis is the space i was thinking of making fish wells this is beside the engine i have not removed this floor yet i wanted to wait until the engine was out to remove it
2012-02-07_18-10-52_635.jpg

hobbystock98

Cadet

2012-02-07_18-12-12_378.jpg here is a picture of the boat i could not get them all to upload in one post and here is the future tow vehicle 2012-01-15_13-47-11_578.jpg(my other project)

hobbystock98

Cadet

i removed the outdrive today, i was shoaked at how easy it came off the u joints look almost bran new. i will get the engine out tomorrow and try to get the rest of the floor and stringers out. maybe by next weekend ill be cutting and fitting up stringers.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congrats and getting it back and tearing into it, its a really good feeling once it all starts going back together

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice boat, it's got some good looking lines on it...it'll be nice to see it come back to life...

I like the 'ol F-150, too...gonna be a nice combination...both look to be about the same vintage...

Maybe you can paint them to match...:cool:

Best Regards,
GT1M

hobbystock98

Cadet

the boat is an 87 truck is an 80
the engine came out today super easy i was shocked. got the boat back home and got the floor up around the engine

deck demo1.jpgthis is the area i want to turn in to a live well. the live well would come up to about where the saw is laying there was a bulkhead there i was going to box the foamed area off and gel coat that area. if i remove that foam how big of an effect is it going to have on the boats buoyancy
deck demo2.jpg
deck demo3.jpg
deck demo4.jpg
deck demo5.jpg
also tapped on the transom more it sounds like its ok i will drill some holes to be sure
tomorrow i will get the stringers out and get ready to lay out for new ones

Trooper82

Commander

Looking good HS98,

Looking through your pictures, looks very similar to what mine looked like when I started. Will be keeping an eye on your progress. Welcome to iBoats. You will get the right kind of help here for sure.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Man that sure looks like a lot of mulch, definitely check the transom real good...you don't want to do all this work and find out later that you have to go back and do the transom, plus if there is any rot left in there, it will find its way into your nice new woodwork much faster...

As far as the foam, it doesn't provide bouyancy to the boat when everything is OK..., the hull design does that by displacing water...the foam is there just in case you get a catastrophic breach in the hull, it should provide enough bouyancy to hopefully get you back to the dock or to the shore...

taking a couple of cubic feet out, prolly won't make too much of a difference, but that is something else you should definitely inspect by core sampling with a piece of PVC tubing [sharpen one end and drill it into the foam and pull out a core sample]...it could be water logged also, and that stuff hardly ever dries out and adds a lot of weight to your boat when wet which will affect the performance and load carrying capacity...

Best Regards,
GT1M

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow nice boat as far as the live wells that seams to be a good place for them but i would put some sound deadening material on them if the fish are to keep but thats .02 ya never know, and ya is that 150 a manual cuz if so i would swear ur my cuzin same truck paint and everything, but hes a lil jealous i got a boat b4 him (even thou ill be putting the floor in it some time this month) lol good luck
Ryan

hobbystock98

Cadet

wow nice boat as far as the live wells that seams to be a good place for them but i would put some sound deadening material on them if the fish are to keep but thats .02 ya never know, and ya is that 150 a manual cuz if so i would swear ur my cuzin same truck paint and everything, but hes a lil jealous i got a boat b4 him (even thou ill be putting the floor in it some time this month) lol good luck
Ryan
it originally had a c-6 but i just bought a t5 to go in it here is a clip of the engine i built running its not tuned 100% but i put it in the truck so i can move the thing around a little bit

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet ride ( the boat, and the truck), your looks like mine as well. I thought about a live well, not sure if I would want to go that far at this point.

hobbystock98

Cadet

today i made a little progress. finished cutting out the stringers that were rotten. and drilled some test holes in the transom. i drilled 4 holes 3 were ok, one the wood is wet and black:mad: here are some pictures
boat tent1.jpg this is the tent i built to contain the dust since my neighbors are kinda close and i like them
boat tent 2.jpg
deck demo7.jpg
deck demo8.jpg
oh and took a chunk out of my finger tip with the grinder

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

today i made a little progress. finished cutting out the stringers that were rotten. and drilled some test holes in the transom. i drilled 4 holes 3 were ok, one the wood is wet and black:mad: here are some pictures
View attachment 132648 this is the tent i built to contain the dust since my neighbors are kinda close and i like them
View attachment 132649
View attachment 132651
View attachment 132652
oh and took a chunk out of my finger tip with the grinder

Yeah, I kinda figured that the transom was already being affected, bummer, but hey, now you know that when you do it up, it will be 100% like new, and last for decades...

Good thinking ahead on the tent...I had to do the same thing after a visit from 5-O.
Just be careful with the heat, drinks lots of water and stay hydrated...don't ask how I know...

And Please, be careful...use some gloves...you are going to make us glassers look bad to the tinny guys...we are only supposed to itch, not get cut...LOL:)

Keep up the great work,
GT1M

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Some of the pics are to small to make out but I like the blue glowing effect.
Sometimes I can't believe how rotten the wood gets.