A permanent fix for a old problem (transom suggestion)

89nissanbassboat

Seaman Apprentice
As some of you know I am looking at other alternatives while restoring my bass boat...after the rotted wood is removed I had a thought about just building up my transom with some heavy weight fiberglass cloth to add strength, maybe some 5oz cloth, about 3-4 layers and then use a good 3/16" piece of aluminum over everything to support the washers that hold my OB...does this sound like it would work?...after removing all the water pickups, all the wood was rotted out or soaking wet...I'm just trying to find a solution to a problem that many others seem to have...by the way, my transom is kinda funny shaped almost like a arrow head so it is not very wide or tall...I'm just not feeling good about replacing my transom with another piece of wood knowing that it will eventually seep in water again and then I'll be back to square one.

Any thoughts on the subject would be helpful as I would like to here from some experienced boat restorers out there on what you think about my permanent fix for a old problem.

Thanks

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A permanent fix for a old problem (transom suggestion)

look into seacast or one of the other pourable type products, there are at least 2 restores going on currently that have used them the arkansas traveller by micks110 and the nescher ski boat by archbuilder both have used the product for transom and stringers and to be honest if my rebuild budget allowed i would too, they will neverhave to touch below their decks again for rot. its expensive but sounds well worth it. D

89nissanbassboat

Seaman Apprentice

osborn159, I have seen those posts and like what seacast does but it seems to be a PITA to work with and a lot of prep work involved...what I am considering in my opinion is way simpler and pretty straight forward fiberglass layup...I do appreciate your advise and will further look into seacast but at this time I'm looking at other alternatives that others can do and AFFORD...repairing a boat to last longer then the OEM builder in my opinion will increase the value enough to make those extra steps worth while.

backlashed

Seaman

If the original transom lasted 20 years, there's no reason to believe that a well built replacement made of the same material won't last just as long. Chances are a new wooden one will out last the rest of the boat. IMO

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

i cannot say what you propose is feasible or practicle and cant say it isnt either, and i appreciate your desire to find another alternative. good luck