A Little Drawin'

southkogs

Staff member
I was playing with some Apps last night on the iPad and thought I'd (in the Spirit of DonS's Illustrator posts) share a late night drawing:

I've been playing with sketching/drawing apps right on the iPad. Adobe put a new one out yesterday called Sketch, so I gave it a whirl. Subject was an old Chris Craft I dug up online.

MikDee

Banned
It sends me back to the Day, cherry mahogany inboard speedboats with chrome trim, flags waving, gently rocking, and cutting through the waves, with a pleasant rumble from the exhaust

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nice, Kogs, hope you dont mine I forwarded a link to a friend of mine who works at Chris Craft.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
looks very nice. I love seeing those boats out on the water.

southkogs

Staff member
Nice, Kogs, hope you dont mine I forwarded a link to a friend of mine who works at Chris Craft.
Thanks. Sending it is no problem, but I have no clue who's photo I hijacked.

looks very nice. I love seeing those boats out on the water.
They are pretty to watch on the water. I've always been taken with Lymans, the larger ones are pretty cool lookin'.

I'll be doodling a few more in the next week or so as I play with apps on the iPad. I'll post 'em as I get them done.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Don would have liked that!! Nice job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yep, very much in the spirit of Don. Nice one, Kogs.

MikDee

Banned
The lines of 60's lapstrake Thompson's were a really sharp boat, especially with their Clipper ship, "S" shaped bow.

MikDee

Banned
No Title

Here's a good example of a Thompson:

Attachments

• photo201909.jpg
    photo201909.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Don would have liked that!! Nice job.
‹
Yep, very much in the spirit of Don. Nice one, Kogs.
Kinda' where he and I connected was goofin' around in Illustrator. Usually way late at night too. I'd been trying to do a few pieces and put 'em up in his honor. This thread'll probably be a little bit 'o Don still with us.

Just not quite as grumpy :D

Here's a good example of a Thompson:
Had neighbors with a Thommy next door. Mighta' the model in your photo Mike. That was a pretty boat too.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
One more for y'all from today: Still drawn on the iPad but in a different program. It's not a all like drawing with a pencil (kinda' tricky actually - I can't get a feel for it yet), but a HECK of a lot easier cleaning up after you're done!

1963 Silverline 250. One of the members' boats over at the Silverline Owners Website.

Silverline Bellaire.jpg

Guess I got wood and glass done, guess I gotta' do a tinny next. ;)

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned
The Silverlines were a slick designed boat as well. I remember some were like a burgundy colored fiberglass, with a spotlight on the bow. That's a good sketch of one you drew!

sam60

Captain
Great work, Kogs! How about a repost of that car you did back a bit ago? You have talent.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What's so hard about drawing on an Apple Etch-A-Sketch? Here's a crewman for one of your boat, Kogs. Feel free to use my original artwork before it goes on sale, no licencing fees for a fellow iboater. ;)

OO
-- | --
/// \ :facepalm: I can't even draw stick people with help!

That really came out great. Looks like a stick guy DIY kit.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm fortunate that the day job is something I like to do. I don't get to do much illustration for work, but every now and again I get to do some ... the rest is just for fun. Hopefully someday I'll have time to actually paint.

Sam60 - here's a re-post of the "DonS Special":