99 Larson 186 deck rebuild

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: 99 Larson 186 deck rebuild

Guys, Thanks for the input. It sure is appreciated. Would not even try this without this resource!

Peeled back the decking from the port side tonight and found it to be just the same as the starboard side.

Notice in the picture that I circled and marked a hole that was used to fill foam in the area close to the motor mount. this hole was drill through the decking into to the stringer??? There is the same kind of hole in just about the same spot on the other side. On both sides close to this hole is where the outside of the stringer is actually bulging. You can also see where I have marked a square hole that appears to be cut from the bottom of the stringer. Any chance that this was some kind of poor manufacturing from the factory? Could the holes that were cut in the bottom of the stringers been put there so that when foam holes were filled in the decking that the liquid foam would run into these stringer holes to fill both the stringers and the cavity under the deck? They might have figured that more needed to be added to the area around the bilge and motor mounts. I also show a picture of a bulk head that does not touch the hull except on the very end.
Wish I knew why this is like this. Any thoughts?
Tom

My stringers also had holes - about an inch in diameter - that looked to be places to inject the foam. Mine did not have any cutouts in the sides of the stringers. I saw nothing like tht in any part of my boat.

I can't tell what part of the hull is contacting the bulkhead in your picture... I'll look at my photos, but I think my stringers and bulkheads were tabbed along the length of the stringers to the bottom of the hull. I don't think the tops of the bulkheads were tabbed to the hull, but let me check to make sure.

Jim

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LO, pics are to small for me to see what you are referring to. Get em into Photobucket and repost.

Good Morning WOG. I opened my new photobucket account last night. Tonight after work I'll start from scratch and take some better shots that show a more complete picture. Looking forward to your input.
Tom