98 Johnson leaking hydraulic fluid.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I know this is a 2001 40hp but this is where the swivel one is on mine.

Maybe it will help maybe not.

Attachments

• 20230108_171729.jpg
    20230108_171729.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your transom bracket looks a bit different than my '98 Johnny 60* 150HPV6. Maybe you have the 90* motor?

I have a cradle between the swivel bracket and the transom bracket that swings down to lock the motor partially up. It can be swung into place from either side. Perhaps it is a trailering bracket? I also have the tilt lock that you posted a picture of.

I would expect you to have a grease fitting near the top of the swivel bracket on the port side.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I did not think they made crossflow motors in 1998. I thought only 60* and 90* loopers were made then.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
sorry----Last year for the 90 / 115 HP V-4 crossflow was 1998.----Have a 115 myself.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After all of that work too and putting a new gasket for the reservoir the motor will not rise.
The pump runs, there is plenty of fluid. I've bled the system, is there a specific way to get the air out? Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, Those PTT units can trap air, and look to be full of fluid.

Run the PTT motor up and lift tilt the motor by hand. Get some help, if you can as they can be heavy. Block it up with the manual lock and let her sit with the boat level. Now refill the reservoir, replace the cap and run her down and help it up again. Let her sit......repeat a couple of times.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, Those PTT units can trap air, and look to be full of fluid.

Run the PTT motor up and lift tilt the motor by hand. Get some help, if you can as they can be heavy. Block it up with the manual lock and let her sit with the boat level. Now refill the reservoir, replace the cap and run her down and help it up again. Let her sit......repeat a couple of times.
I did just that, unscrew the fluid cap, hear it hiss, raise it all the way up add more fluid, take it all the way back down, did that 4 times. This is as high as it goes

Attachments

• B1391369-F9BA-41AA-B47C-A407B749C3B7.jpeg
    B1391369-F9BA-41AA-B47C-A407B749C3B7.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 4

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I did just that, unscrew the fluid cap, hear it hiss, raise it all the way up add more fluid, take it all the way back down, did that 4 times. This is as high as it goes
That with the trim button? Looks plenty high.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, most of those PTT units must be filled when tilted all the way up. If the cap is opened and the PTT unit is not all the way up, the fluid will run out.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gee, most of those PTT units must be filled when tilted all the way up. If the cap is opened and the PTT unit is not all the way up, the fluid will run out.
That was pulled up with an engine hoist, lock engaged and then filled when the large middle cylinder was at its high travel point . I could not get the motor to raise up without using an engine hoist. Filled it up until the fluid ran out. Brough it back down and vented the air 3X.
the unit still will not raise by itself. I do not want to drop $400 on a new hydraulic unit.

Does anyone have a manual for one of these old 90 HP crossflow units?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
That was pulled up with an engine hoist, lock engaged and then filled when the large middle cylinder was at its high travel point . I could not get the motor to raise up without using an engine hoist. Filled it up until the fluid ran out. Brough it back down and vented the air 3X.
the unit still will not raise by itself. I do not want to drop $400 on a new hydraulic unit.

Does anyone have a manual for one of these old 90 HP crossflow units?
You don't need a manual for that....they all work the same. Believe it or not the pumps do burn out. Find a used one or replace the pump.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You don't need a manual for that....they all work the same. Believe it or not the pumps do burn out. Find a used one or replace the pump.
OK, new pump motor,are there better deals or is Sierra a good brand when it comes with seal. Does the seal on the center hydraulic s look suspect? If I'm replacing that seal, how do you replace that and where do you get the 4 prong tool to remove the cap?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Center Seal.JPG
    Center Seal.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Trim Motor Seal.jpg
    Trim Motor Seal.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally you use a spanner with 2 studs to remove the hydraulic cylinder caps. They are avail on Amazon for small $

A Sierra PTT motor is likely good. Normally I use ARCO, but it likely mach nicht.

Repair kits for the entire PTT unit are avail. They contail orings and seals. I would get the part number from crowleymarine and see what kind of price you can get, if you need it.,

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
OK, new pump motor,are there better deals or is Sierra a good brand when it comes with seal. Does the seal on the center hydraulic s look suspect? If I'm replacing that seal, how do you replace that and where do you get the 4 prong tool to remove the cap?
Thanks,
I said pump not motor....if motor spins than most likely it's fine.

The whole rebuild kit is the way to go.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1682866974460.png
Is the pump # 36 and 37 in this picture? Crowley marine is the way to go? Also the main/middle piston does not push the motor all the way up, which points back to the pump. part # i found for the O-ring kit was 0434519. Thank you for all the advice, the boat is almost ready to get in the water.

Last edited:

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking up J90TSLECM shows this part diagram. I circled what I think is the pump. I ordered the complete trim tilt Oring kit with filter. Or is the pump rebuild or pump ordered separately?
1683413727318.png

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The oring set should have nearly everything you need to rebuild the entire pump. The kit shows 22 orings, the filter and a clip, plus some other stuff..

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Chris,
I had thought the reason my tilt unit will not raise the motor was it had a bad pump. the motor will trim up but not raise the engine, going/trimming down the center hydraulic works; Is it possible one the relays is bad? Thanks again for your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The PTT motor is either on or off. If she spins, the relays are fine.

To clarify, the motor will raise up a bit on the tilt rams, but the center tilt ram won't move? is that your issue?

Could be a bad trim piston seal.