98 Evinrude 115 carb adjustment?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey All. I took the project triton out yesterday and it would not start or stay running. I took the cover off and held the throttle open just a little bit while the Mrs. tried starting the boat.

It did start and ran really well for about 15 mins then felt like it lost power, when I put it back in neutral it stalled out and we could never get it started again. Anyone have an idea what the issue could be? I was told the carbs need adjusted.

On a side issue, when trying to start it, the starter only engages about 3/10 times. The other times, it sounds like the starter is just spinning but never engages the flywheel. Could that be bad connections that need cleaned?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 different 115 HP models in 1998.----Model # or pictures required.-----Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 or is automatic oiling in service and working properly?-----Post results of a compression test.-----Water pump impeller replaced ?-----Overheat horn tested ?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are 2 different 115 HP models in 1998.----Model # or pictures required.-----Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 or is automatic oiling in service and working properly?-----Post results of a compression test.-----Water pump impeller replaced ?-----Overheat horn tested ?
Sorry for the late reply, Just noticed the notification.

Model is E115GLECM

I just replaced the impeller and it is working good.
We replaced the VRO to go straight mixed gas.
The overheat horn does work but does not sound when we have the issue.

Image shows what I hold open manually to start the boat.

Attachments

• TritonThrottle copy.jpg
    TritonThrottle copy.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 7

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have the battery load tested.----Post the results of a compression test here.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On a side issue, when trying to start it, the starter only engages about 3/10 times. The other times, it sounds like the starter is just spinning but never engages the flywheel. Could that be bad connections that need cleaned?
Yep. Check your battery connections and also the state of your battery. Also make sure the spiral shaft of the starter the bendix rises on is clean and lubed.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looper Engine.
As racer said, compression test.
Also does the engine have Spark, good enough to jump a 3/8" Gap?
As mentioned, clean all the Electrical Connections between the Battery and Starter, and clean the Bendix and lube it. Is the Battery in good shape, still having most of it's Capacity?