98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

AList233

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
46
Hopefully someone can give me a little info as what to look for in regards to a 1998 5.7Gi DuoProp. I am looking at a freshwater '84 Albemarle 24 Express with 785 hours that was rerigged in '98. I'm assuming that it was a new unit at the time. My experience has been with OMC/Mercruiser and I'm just looking for a few pointers.
 

QC

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
22,783
Re: 98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

I am going to move this to non-repair I/O discussions. Maybe you could repost the other questions in this section, but let's keep the I/O stuff in that section. Helps with the archives etc.

Hours are total on boat? Or total on Volvo setup?
 

AList233

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
46
Re: 98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

The Volvo drive setup has 785 hours on it. Unsure of total boat hours.

Sorry about the post. It was meant to be a volvo drive question.
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: 98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

There isn't much you can look for on the drive. Overall appearance and maybe the gear lube, but nothing else you as a buyer can do when buying. A test ride to make sure everthing works is the best thing to do, plus spend some money for a mechanical survey of the engine and drive from a Certified Volvo Penta dealer.
No different than any other engine/drive combination on the market.
 

QC

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
22,783
Re: 98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

No worries, I understand that another mod and I have both moved this, so you can see that even we are confused . . . Volvo's are generally considered to be bullet proof. The downside is some parts prices are high compared to Merc and service is less available. If you have a good Volvo tech in your area that can help eliminate the service question.
 

AList233

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
46
Re: 98 5.7 Gi DuoProp - What to look for?

Thanks for the input. I have always handled my own repairs on the mercruisers and wasn't sure if, other than a good test drive and a check of the fluids, there was any major concerns. I plan to have a survey done and the current owner is a marine service principle. I feel the asking price of 20K is a little high, but I'm kind of partial to the early formula 233, bertram and albemarle hulls. I haven't seen too many freshwater albemarles and this one is what I would consider excellent condition.
 
Top