'97 SeaRay 230BR with Cap damage & seperations, repair ideas needed !!!!

mnlaker

Cadet
I have '97 SeaRay 230BR with Cap cracks(port) & bunch of scrapes. While stored inside, something hit windshield & across the cap (boat) with worst damage on port side. Cracked cap (port) & seperated about a foot long from hull at each area of cap damage (both sides). Also scuff at bow with rail damage. Also a section gouged out around port glovebox, have part of piece gouged out to glue /bondo back on, then vinyl repair it(?). PORT CAP REPAIR: Do I cut thru cracks at cap on port side, remove cap section, 5200 the cap back onto hull, glue wood strip under cap piece crossing crack ends to solid cap to line up cap(?) & glas in with weave/mat under cap piece to reinforce(?) Use epoxy or poly glas(?). How to fill in the 1/4-1/2 inch cut ends at crack sites(?) epoxy butter mixed with cut glas strands/hairs? Gelcoat over? Can I use this bent windshield frame again, if straightened out?? ANY OTHER HELP OR SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Attachments

• bow- scuffed.jpg
    bow- scuffed.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Port side-inside.jpg
    Port side-inside.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Port side-cap.jpg
    Port side-cap.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
  • starboard scrape-cap.jpg
    starboard scrape-cap.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dash-glove box damage.jpg
    dash-glove box damage.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: '97 SeaRay 230BR with Cap damage & seperations, repair ideas needed !!!!

Hard to tell by the pics but I would guess you would be better of parting this boat out and starting over. Windshield cannot be reused and will cost several grand to replace, then you have lots of upholstery repair and a substantial amount of structural work to do. A good fiberglass shop is going to charge around 3 grand to fix it right and unless you really know what you are doing, you are going to end up with stress cracks as the cap on this boat is a big part of the structure of the boat. Have you also checked out the underside of the boat to make sure that whatever landed on the boat did not cause damage to points where the boat meets the trailer. I guess it depends on how much you can do yourself and how much you have into it already, and will it be worth less than you have into it when you are all done.

mnlaker

Cadet

Other than area around glove box, & small panel inside (port side), no upholstery problems. Hull been inspected over, & very good. The 7.4 Lx EFI- bravo III , is in great shape. Agree windshield will be costly if replaced new, (starboard glass is ok). Very handy DIY, & worked with glas in past (but new to iboat site). I will need to pull rail off to see extent of any actual seperation, if any. Snow storms threatening, but weather slowly warming up. Orig thread is just outline of what I am probably looking at, know more once we pull rail. Thanks.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

While stored inside, something hit windshield & across the cap (boat) with worst damage on port side.
What his this poor ray?! A frond end loader?! Poor thing!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

That is like my rig's big brother and man is that a shame (no insurance?) take your time and make it right I would just take your time and becarefull of removing the cap if that's the plan. PM oops I bet he'll have a good game plan for you he lives for this stuff.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Too nice a boat to junk. OOPS or Woodonglass can give you some really good insight on the specifics.

Welcome to iboats!

Sorry your intro was like this!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.......EZ asked me to join in.....

the boat is junk ...
ill be happy to take it off your hands for free.....please send address and title asap ! :D

seriously.....that is the kind of stuff i make money on.

check your local searay dealerships for the windsheild frame.
i just saw a half container of them being allmost given away.

as far as the damage....

if you really know what you were doing you COULD fix it from the out side......but...lots of time fairing, and you better be good with your materials or it will craze.
if i was in your shoes i would pull the cap on that one.
your rub rail looks toast... (or sections of it) and semi rigid is cheep.

once the cap is up......you could flip it and start the repairs from underneath.
you will have to grind the areas of damage to get to the glass....
the trick will be straightining out the area, here you will have to get inventive.......even by screwing 2x4's to the cap to hold it straight while you glass it from the inside.
glass it with csm and 1708.....poly or VE resin is fine.
epoxy will be expencive and not nessary IMHO.

once the cap is straightend and fixed from the inside, flip it back over and grind out the damaged areas .....remove the gellcoat and get to the cracks
glass with 2 layers of 1.5 csm.........sand flat. mix a gellcoat paste.....and lightly use it as a filler......then fair.
then re gellcoat the areas sand/fair and buff.
i would smile if you brought that to me as the glass and gellcoat alone would be in the 4000 range without seeing more.

shop around for the windsheild frame.....it could come cheap......and if there is a boat builder in your area, buy a bottle of wine for the head secratary and see if she will order you some rub rail at there cost.....

if you cant get the items you need stoopid cheap.....iboats is as good as a store and anywhere and great prices.

pm me the link to this thread if you need more info.

cheers
oops