'96 lund tyee 1850 floor rebuild and foam replacement.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
story: bought this boat a few years back, got it cheap, needed motor due to improper winterizing. found rebuilt 4.3 from jimmy, used allold parts from boat, all done 1000.00 bucks. great. runs great, except for a hesitation that i've yet to be able to find, will deal with that later in the engine section. anyway, boat seemed heavy, previous owner told me the floor was soft, so he replaced it. he obviousy didn't do it right. weight of boat and trailer is approx 3700 pounds, weight at 3500 with trailer tires on scal, and truck off scale. approx 150- 200 tongue weight. so im guessing my foam is wet. open a rear portion of the floor, foam is wet, but not completely. wood was saturated however. the foam was very wet about 2 inches up, and the top was crispy dry. the foam came out easier than i thoufght, but still took about 7 hours total. will update as i go.
only doing up tp the console for now, as fishing season starts in one week, and i wont miss that. will do the bow in the winter. pics to follow soon.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '96 lund tyee 1850 floor rebuild and foam replacement.

any idea where i can find epoxy resin, not sure what that is. all i know is fibreglass resin. thanks.

TyeeMcGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm rebuilding an 88' tyee, stripping it down to the metal. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.
I bought my epoxy from www.uscomposites.com.

FarmallM

Seaman Apprentice

Are you replacing the Lund decals/striping? If so, where are you ordering from? I have a '92 Lund Pro-V that I replaced the deck, pumps, plumbing and could use a paint job also.
Marlin

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

finally some pics.
boatfloor028.jpg
this is where i started. wanted to see how bad it was.
boatfloor023.jpg
drywall saw works great for cutting foam
boatfloor022.jpg
try not to punch through the hull, not sure if this is possible, but im not going to risk it!
boatfloor024.jpg
as these stringers are like i-beams, i cut a groove and the pulled the sides toward the center of the void.worked about a quarter of the time.
boatfloor021.jpg
this is how most of it came out.
boatfloor026.jpg
you can see some water trapped by the foam against the stringer. was like this everywhere.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

vid showing how much water foam can hold. this pice wasn't even fully saturated.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor014.jpg
undeer side of gas tank cover
boatfloor032.jpg

boatfloor035.jpg

boatfloor034.jpg

boatfloor033.jpg
you can see the deck is still solid, but very wet.
more to come when i figure how to get them off my phone.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This job should should be a relative breeze to restore since its an aluminum hull. Worst case you have to pull the engine, drive, and gimble housing to fix the transom. After that its just putting down a deck that will repel ingesting water well.

If circumstances permit, I recommend gelcoat, Durabak, or some other marine grade floor cover other than carpet. With boat carpet, if you spill a large amount of oil, gas, or fish grime, its going to get ruined quickly.

I delaminated a section of carpet on my boat by spilling a test gas tank of 1/4 gallon of gas, man I wish I had gelcoat on my deck then. Got to find time this week to splice in carpet for the repair.

Worst case with that gelcoat or smooth Durabak stuff: spill a ton of fish guts, gas, or oil. Just rinse, degrease, hose off, dry, and done.

If I ever redo a boat floor again, I'm going all gelcoat except for upper side panel areas.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I feel your pain on the foam:facepalm:

This is going to be a great project:)

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

quick update. all foam is gone now, new deck is cut, sealed, epoxied, and screwed in. carpet is cut, has gone in to have vinyl edgeing and snaps put in. still debating painting the deck under the carpet under the deck in case i ever use the boat sans carpet. was thinking epoxy shield paint with non-slip sand added. used it on basement floor, and it held up really well, and had great traction. pics are currently uploading to photobucket as we speak. will post them when they are done.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor037.jpg

boatfloor038.jpg

pics showing how foam was from factory. note theere is drainage down the middle, but still the foam was wet. no drainage from the sides, or along the stringers.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor040.jpg

boatfloor039.jpg

removing foam from stringers.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor043.jpg

you can see the wet foam is darker in color, and looks like it came through the floor here and had nowhere to go.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor044.jpg

boatfloor045.jpg

boatfloor046.jpg

all foam removed, except the little tiny pieces. shop vac works very well here.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Foam....

Glorious foam....

oh wonderful foam.....

oooooooohhhhhhhhhh how I love theeeeeee!!!!:)

(I just now made that song up. Yup, right here on the spot. Awesome eh?:D

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

boatfloor047.jpg

boatfloor048.jpg

total of ten garbage bags, just for foam. carpet and d eck are loose. found a few broken screws on the foam. from when PO changed the decking, but not all of it, and didn't touch the foam.
should have weighed the bags but didn't. will wait till this is done and put her back on the scale. starting weight of boat and trailer, approx 3700 lbs.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

Foam....

Glorious foam....

oh wonderful foam.....

oooooooohhhhhhhhhh how I love theeeeeee!!!!:)

(I just now made that song up. Yup, right here on the spot. Awesome eh?:D
i now hate that stuff. great in theory, and if the boat is taken care of, but otherwise, its garbage!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Aww cmon' Bruno! Maybe you need to sing it again, "thhheeeeeeeee" is a real long drawn out high note, real fun like:D

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

0507122026-00.jpg

0507122026-01.jpg

laying out the new deck! seems a long time coming. but now it feels as though i'm getting something done, and going in the right direction.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

0507122041-00.jpg

the two sides

0507122053-00.jpg

fuel tank and bridge decking