96 48 spl recitifier question.

s3v3n50

Cadet
I bought a new tach because the old one was pegged at 7. It is faria tach with system check on it. Well I plugged it in and show only to move to zero. Adjusted poles to the right place. Still nothing. I get 12v on the battery when motor is off, and it rises when the motor is running. Can anyone help me with the test of the rectifier on the steps on what to do. There are four wires 3 yellow, one gray I think. What do I need to see if i am getting signal.

john from md

Commander
Re: 96 48 spl recitifier question.

The grey wire is usually the tach signal wire and will read AC. Two of the yellow wires are stator ouput wires and will read AC, One wire should go to the battery either through a circuit breaker or directly. It does not have to be connected at the battery, it can be connected to the battery wire at the starter solinoid. Some rectifiers have a grounded case and others have a black ground wirel

You should get 14 to 14.5 volts at @ 2000 rpm. As your rpm increases, rectifiers tend to let the voltage increase and some can go as high as 16volts.

Hope this helps,

John