95 5.7 gxi-jf start relay not working

kj freeman

Recruit
i have 12 volts on y/r wire from key switch have 12 volts on red wire comming from fuse to relay also have contenuity from relay to starter on y/r wire. only way it will turn over is to hook a extra ground wire to the b/purple stripe.

Scott06

Admiral
If you have to add a ground check your ground connections from battery to block

kj freeman

Recruit
If you have to add a ground check your ground connections from battery to block
ground seems to be good i did take the ground off to check see if they were broke or bad connection. Thing i was most concerned about is the b/p wire goes from relay to computer on engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Have wiring diagrams thru GXI-D
Your GXI-F, with a Black/purple going back to the ECM and not ground from the start assist relay coil return, this is different.

If it doesn't go back to the ECM and does go to ground, then agree its the grounds on the motor.

kj freeman

Recruit
Have wiring diagrams thru GXI-D
Your GXI-F, with a Black/purple going back to the ECM and not ground from the start assist relay coil return, this is different.

If it doesn't go back to the ECM and does go to ground, then agree its the grounds on the motor.
Mine goes back to the ecm. Thats why i am concerned about adding a additional ground
Its a 95

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This doesn't make sense, I don't believe the 5.7 GXi-JF (fresh water cooled GXi-J) was made until after 2006. If that is the case the ECU is probably Volvo Penta not MEFI so the wiring diagrams won't be of much use. I don't know if your ECU controls the crank cycle and if it is being inhibited or not.
Maybe the kill switch ? I can't think of anything else they would want to stop the crank cycle for?

jomamma1

Cadet
HI KJ....Did you figure out your problem? I am having the same issuein My 2006 GXI-E