94 OMC trim problem

Wisconsin Boaterer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 8, 2018
Messages
5
Hello everyone,

This is my first post as a new member.

I have a 94 Four Winns Freedom 170 with a 3.0 OMC (Volvo Penta)engine. The trim does not move. I have tested the switch and it engages the relays for both directions. I tested the voltage coming out of the relay and am getting a strong 12.59 volts but the motor will not engage. I took the motor out thinking it was bad. I straight wired the motor to the battery and it works fine in both directions. It has me baffled. Now, I did test the motor without the hydraulic lines attached if that makes a difference. Help please! lol
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,584
Howdy
It could be the motor even though it does spin, but more likely the rump could be corroded up. Remove and get into it to have a look
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,584
So if you can put the motor back on and it runs then maybe it was a small something that kept it from running. If it goes back together and still won't turn the pump then its the motor. Maybe some shorted internal winding's which make it weak
 

Wisconsin Boaterer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 8, 2018
Messages
5
Thanks. I found out it was the relay/circuit breaker. Aparently it wasn't returning to the closed position fully! Thanks for your help!
 
Top