93 vp aq570 with 280 drive hydrolocked??

kenny nunez

Captain
The worst one I have seen is a piece as large as my hand blown completely out in that area. Then one that was a pinhole that was squirting water into the distributor housing causing the engine to miss and pop back through the carburetor. One thing about water, it cannot be stopped frozen or turned to steam.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Does anybody know if a truck 350 4 bolt main roller cam will work after gaskets changed if it's a tbi . Will my intake with 4 bbl holley be compatible??
Thanks
The SBC is the Mr potato head of motors. Any post 1986 block and heads will work.

If you want to keep your existing manifold, you will need to check it for freeze cracks. And if it's good, you are looking at a 1986-1995 motor

I personally would go with vortec heads (1996 and later), so you would need a new manifold. It's also a good 30+hp

Stick with a 1995 or earlier block for the mechanical fuel pump

You will need brass core plugs, marine head gaskets.

A truck cam is close to a marine cam, so if you want, use the truck cam. I'm the guy that would put a higher flowing marine cam while I have the motor out

You should get a new marine water circulation pump.

Your marine starter, fuel pump, front accessories, ignition and carp can migrate over

At this point I would suggest adding a heat exchanger as well

Since the block is freeze busted, I would assume that your current heads, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are also cracked

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
The worst one I have seen is a piece as large as my hand blown completely out in that area. Then one that was a pinhole that was squirting water into the distributor housing causing the engine to miss and pop back through the carburetor. One thing about water, it cannot be stopped frozen or turned to steam.

The SBC is the Mr potato head of motors. Any post 1986 block and heads will work.

If you want to keep your existing manifold, you will need to check it for freeze cracks. And if it's good, you are looking at a 1986-1995 motor

I personally would go with vortec heads (1996 and later), so you would need a new manifold. It's also a good 30+hp

Stick with a 1995 or earlier block for the mechanical fuel pump

You will need brass core plugs, marine head gaskets.

A truck cam is close to a marine cam, so if you want, use the truck cam. I'm the guy that would put a higher flowing marine cam while I have the motor out

You should get a new marine water circulation pump.

Your marine starter, fuel pump, front accessories, ignition and carp can migrate over

At this point I would suggest adding a heat exchanger as well

Since the block is freeze busted, I would assume that your current heads, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are also cracked
Thanks once more. If I use vortec heads the intake manifold is different but the same exhaust manifolds will work assuming they're OK?
The hunt is on.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks once more. If I use vortec heads the intake manifold is different but the same exhaust manifolds will work assuming they're OK?
The hunt is on.
yes.

some light reading of me doing the same. some of the pics are missing because I was using webshots at the time for picture storage. later used photobucket.

the key will be to acetone test your manifolds. if you even think there is a crack, replace them. manifolds are much cheaper than taking out a motor.

stock VP dual alloy 4-barrel marine intake is basically an Edelbrock 2516 intake with Volvo Penta vs Edelbrock. (same casting house).

if you go heat exchanger, you can use a standard 2116 intake manifold

talk to your local machine shop, especially if you are near a dirt race track. many used to run vortec heads, and most machine shops had them on the shelf all ready to go for $400 a pair. They may also have a deal on a remanufactured shortblock.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
yes.

some light reading of me doing the same. some of the pics are missing because I was using webshots at the time for picture storage. later used photobucket.

the key will be to acetone test your manifolds. if you even think there is a crack, replace them. manifolds are much cheaper than taking out a motor.

stock VP dual alloy 4-barrel marine intake is basically an Edelbrock 2516 intake with Volvo Penta vs Edelbrock. (same casting house).

if you go heat exchanger, you can use a standard 2116 intake manifold

talk to your local machine shop, especially if you are near a dirt race track. many used to run vortec heads, and most machine shops had them on the shelf all ready to go for $400 a pair. They may also have a deal on a remanufactured shortblock.
Ok. Thanks, I'll start doing some more research.
If I were to seal the cracks that are visible and the system then held pressure, would that be an accurate indicator of condition of heads and manifolds. Sorry for all the questions, these cooling systems are new to me.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. Thanks, I'll start doing some more research.
If I were to seal the cracks that are visible and the system then held pressure, would that be an accurate indicator of condition of heads and manifolds. Sorry for all the questions, these cooling systems are new to me.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
And yet another question. I have located a complete mercruiser 5.7 vortec with fresh water cooling. It was taken out of a boat with rotten stringers and supposedly has been compression checked, etc. Comes with manifolds, risers, etc all palletized. I think I can buy it for $2k. Can I make this work in my raw water boat? Even if I have to switch it back over to raw water it may not be a bad deal.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
And yet another question. I have located a complete mercruiser 5.7 vortec with fresh water cooling. It was taken out of a boat with rotten stringers and supposedly has been compression checked, etc. Comes with manifolds, risers, etc all palletized. I think I can buy it for $2k. Can I make this work in my raw water boat? Even if I have to switch it back over to raw water it may not be a bad deal.
Here's a couple of pics of the mercruiser unit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_140911_01.jpg
    IMG_20230729_140911_01.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1000005180.jpg
    1000005180.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 13

captmello

Captain
that motor could be made to work, but the exhaust manifolds won't match up, nor will the merc wiring etc. so you'd end up using half the parts...I'd go scotts route of buying the short or long block and using your parts from the bad motor. personally, I would replace the exhaust manifolds regardless of testing. also, if boating in salt, I would consider the heat exchanger, but only on a remanufactured block, not a used one.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
All right. Thanks. I thought that may be an easy way to convert to fresh water also. After reading Scotts post I was under the impression that the Volvo manifolds would work on the vortec heads. Also didn't see much in the way of electrical; alternator, coil sensors, electric choke etc. I'll check with other vendors when they open on Monday

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
Regarding the heat exchanger, the raw water is plumbed through the on board hot water heater, does that count?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
What vintage is the Mercruiser motor?

Full system or half system?

Exhaust manifolds need to be changed to match up with the VP y-pipe

Flush your cabin heater and test it. It may have a freeze busted core

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
I ran casting #14093638, it actually comes up as a 87-95 pre vortex. He didnt know what year the boat was. The guy is not sure if it is full or half system. Would I be able to look at the plumbing in the pics to tell? I've been talking to this guy for a month or so. I really think he thought it was a vortec

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
I ran casting #14093638, it actually comes up as a 87-95 pre vortex. He didnt know what year the boat was. The guy is not sure if it is full or half system. Would I be able to look at the plumbing in the pics to tell? I've been talking to this guy for a month or so. I really think he thought it was a vortec
It looks to my novice eye like it has a full system. 2 intakes on the risers?

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah.
Would the closed system transplant into my boat by changing it to vp exhaust manifolds? I just thought it would be nice to have if it's doable. Capn

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
Captnmello is skeptical. It would be quicker than waiting a couple of months for a reman build but if it would drop in without to much trouble it would be nice.
Another option is I could get a running sbc out of a truck for about a grand, maybe a vortec , and "marinize" it and stay with raw water cooling.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Volvo manifolds are a bit more restrictive than Mercruiser on the water side. Volvo never offered more than a half system on the SBC motors. But the VP manifolds do flow exhaust better

That being said, it could be modified for either a half or full system. You will have to fabricate a block-off plate for the VP manifolds, however the trick to find an elbow that can be modified with a water inlet fitting. Could always have stainless elbows made.

I ran a similar HX as a half system on my AQ271

I would want a compression test and a bore scope look in every cylinder to buy a motor sitting on a pallet.

I would want compression of 140-150psi. I would want to see a light charcoal coating on the piston tops and cross-hatching still visible on the cylinder walls without gouges

Maybe offer $1500?

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
I had to think for a minute but get what you're saying about the block off plates needed for a closed system between the vp manifold and riser, then an inlet for raw water on the top end. I would really like to get this this boat in the water quickly if possible, I'm paying for an empty slip now also, maybe I'll try to get a running 350 vortec and a marine manifold.
I just finished reading your "venture" thread. Wow! I have a 19 ft open bow with a 5.0 and a quadrajet. I can only open it up for a short burst without having to change my shorts, guess I don't have the "need for speed".
This boat is a floating condo, just need it to be dependable.