93 OMC 3.0 starter question

bubbajim

Cadet
I recently re-installed my engine after along wait. I only have the big red wire from the solenoid going to the starter, no wire for the 'S' connector, I looked everywhere. Is it possible it was just a jumper from the big red wire to the s connector? If I hold a screw driver across these it will crank okay. Thinking about doing this since I cannot find a wire to go there.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 93 OMC 3.0 starter question

I recently re-installed my engine after along wait. I only have the big red wire from the solenoid going to the starter, no wire for the 'S' connector, I looked everywhere. Is it possible it was just a jumper from the big red wire to the s connector? If I hold a screw driver across these it will crank okay. Thinking about doing this since I cannot find a wire to go there.

Ayuh,... Yer lackin' 2 wires, for the 2 small terminals...
Ya gotta find 'em, 'n hook 'em up where they go, or you'll have Nothin' but more problems...

bubbajim

Cadet

Thanks, I'll try and find a diagram. I have another question if anyone can help. I've always had problems with my starter and one of the problems was the long bolt in the starter was broken off in the block. So only having one bolt holding the starter it would end up breaking the small bolt tab on the starter. Went through several starters before I had the engine rebuilt and the bolt fixed. I always just went to Napa and got the same starter. But even after installing with both bolts starter seem funky, loud, some grinding etc... I know it might need shiming but my question is my starter and the ones I've been using have 9 teeth, and the 93 OMC 3.0l starters I've been looking at are 11 teeth. Have I been using the wrong starter or will a 9 tooth and 11 tooth interchange.

Thanks
Jim

bubbajim

Cadet

Okay.I found out that a 9 tooth and 11 tooth starter pinion gears are interchangeable depending on the starter. So I got a new gear reduction, high torque on the way. I did get the newly rebuilt engine cranked and it sounded awesome. Can anyone provide any help on setting the timing correctly. I currently have it set at 4* BTC.

Jim

bubbajim

Cadet

Ayuh,... Yer lackin' 2 wires, for the 2 small terminals...
Ya gotta find 'em, 'n hook 'em up where they go, or you'll have Nothin' but more problems...

I found my service manual and looked up the wiring diagram and it only shows the one big wire going to the starter. I also found an old starter and it still had the jumper on it. Anyway, I ordered a new gear reduction high torque starter and it starts and runs very nice. Hopefully I'll get it registered and out to the lake this weekend.