93 Crownline 196 deck and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I forget to get pictures but the foam is in. It was actually not as bad as I expected. I did some rough calculations on the first few compartments as suggested by WOG and was able to guess most of them from there on out. I did have a couple that I missed and they oozed over, but for the most part things worked out great. I was truly amazed at how much the foam stiffened up the deck. I had heard members talk about it but wow. I went ahead and cleaned out my holes so I can get straight to PBing the pucks back in. With any luck, this job should be done tomorrow and maybe a partial layer of CSM on the deck. I'm really shooting to be ready to lay carpet by the end of this week. By the way rick, here is the link where I plan to purchase carpet. www.boatcarpetcentral.com

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Glad to hear the foaming went well. I've got the carpet place bookmarked and it looks like they have good stuff at good prices - best I've seen!

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really meant to update before now, but no time. Yesterday I got the pucks PBed in and all sealed up.

I went over today after a night of drying and sanded down the deck where I had high spots from the PB and actually started with the first layer of CSM on the deck. I only managed to get the bow section in before I decided to shut down shop for the night. At least its a start.

For the bad news......I start tearing down the outdrive and inspecting the bellows, bearings....etc. Well I split the drive to inspect the water pump housing and oil is everywhere, so from what I know and have heard this means I need the seal in the bottom of the housing. Also from what I understand, to replace both, you have to disassemble the upper unit. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. Next, I opened up the water pump and the impeller is fine but terrible grooving in the housing so add another part to the list. Already highly disappointed at this time, I decided to look the gimbal housing and bellows over and low and behold the drive shaft bellow has a tear. So when does the bleeding stop?? The only good thing is that I don't feel any slop in the gimbal bearing. I couldn't physically turn it (hopefully because my hands were greasy), but it is also only a little over a year old. I'm currently pricing parts and tools to make all of the repairs and am actually debating going ahead with the gimbal just in case, but I'm going to see what the damage is first.

I might need to post this question elsewhere, but if anyone reading has done an upper unit seal kit, feel free to chime in on the amount of trouble it is.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Sorry about the outdrive... sometimes you just wonder when you'll stop finding more stuff to fix, eh? On the plus side, your deck looks great. I bet it feels good to walk on a nice, solid deck! Hang in there, you're doing fine work! Jim

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes it does feel great walking on a level surface Jim. The outdrive is a bummer, but glad I can catch everything now instead of the week after I get back on the water.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I'm down to 2 quarts of resin until my 2 new gallons arrive. I ordered from US Composites again because one gallon locally was going to cost me 57.75 plus tax where I can get two gallons for that price from USC. Also ordered a few pigments for gel coat just in case I ever make it to that point.

I jumped over and started on the two panels that need rebuilt and oh boy were they a mess, but they were original.

These are the crumbs that I managed to salvage. With all of the other things wrong with the boat I am not replacing any upholstery at this point, just rebuilding panels that were completely shot. Luckily the two bow panels are all.
I have found all of the parts that are needing replaced on the drive, but I haven't pulled the trigger on buying yet. Man the total hurts but that will be a few more things I can mark off the list for next year. I'm thinking all of the drive work is going to throw my schedule back by another week. I considered farming out the drive work, but they are proud of their work at the local shop and I can buy 2 or 3 sets of specialty tools for what they want to charge me in labor. Also from studying the repair manual, I have come to the assumption that I won't have to re-shim and check reset preloads from just putting the seals in. That was a breathe of fresh air.

Until next time guys and happy boating for all those of you already on the water. I envy you at this point.

Rickmerrill

Hang in there Andrew, you are in your element now with the mechanical stuff so trust your judgement and fix what you think needs fixing. Another week or so won't matter in the long run but I know the expense hurts. Try not to let "the schedule" take over. You'll be on the water soon!

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well guys I am behind on updates so with work starting full force tomorrow I'll try to catch up. My resin came Thursday so I went over and got the CSM layer finished up.
20140626_193944_zpslelekw1u.jpg
Today I went ahead and got the tabbing installed and worked a little more on the front panel that I am working on. I tracked my carpet and it will be here Monday so the plan is to finish up the deck so I can get the carpet in the and start on the few other interior components and then the drive and motor. The list is getting shorter but still several things to do.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I have been jumping around a good but trying to get some of the small thing done. These two panels that I built from rotten wood have been a pain but I'm tickled to death with the outcome.
20140701_211500_zpsezlbrxws.jpg
So far I haven't gotten any of my tools or parts in so no progress there. I'm also working on the carpet but getting the old glue off of the sidewalks is slow. So far the best tool I've found is the scotchbrite pad that mounts to a drill. It seems not to clog compared to other methods. I had to order some stainless staples online and they should be here tomorrow so the panels that need covered will get finished tomorrow hopefully. The two gallons of resin that I ordered were not quite enough so I ordered two more. According to my calculations that should be more than enough but I thought that last time too.

Rickmerrill

That's some very nice woodwork! Friscoboater ended up using MEK, without the 'P' to remove his carpet glue but I guess it depends on what type of glue they used.

tpenfield

Staff member
Looking good . . . I am enjoying watching the progress. :thumb:

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I started back chipping away at some of my smaller tasks. I got one of the bow panels upholstered and even added the extra speaker that I have been wanting to add since day one. You simply cannot hear the music in the bow if the boat is moving. It came out pretty decent knowing that I used existing vinyl since this years budget is shot for any new.

I also couldn't hold back any longer so I put in one of the side carpet panels in, but after looking at the pictures just now, I realized that I got my buggy ahead of my horse and did not get my kick panel mounts in. No big problem, I will just have to break the carpet loose in two places. Anyhow here it is....

The brown truck ran today to so I received my upper unit seal kit, transom seal, water pump rebuild kit, 2 more gallons of resin, and the spanner wrench. I'm not exactly sure when I will start on the upper unit, but I have the parts to finish it now. Bellows and etc... should be here next week.

Rickmerrill

Man Andrew, that reupholstering came out nice. I like that color on the carpet. Any details when you're doing the mechanical stuff would be helpful.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am behind on updating but I have accomplished several small things over the last weekend. I managed to get the other sidewall carpet in and started putting some of the interior back in that would not get in my way. I also started re-routing the wiring that had been tucked under the dash for so long. It is no longer a jumbled mess.
20140706_184100_zpsua4onsh5.jpg
20140706_184126_zpsublxtnkd.jpg
I am out of country again since Monday and will not return until sometime Thursday so once again another delay. Rick, I plan to start on the mechanical repairs this weekend so I'm sure the upcoming post will be filled with that. My final delivery of parts and tools should be at my house before I get there so no more excuses. I will update as I make progress.

Rickmerrill

Great, and thanks. It's starting to look like something you can drive around a lake again!

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started the outdrive tonight and it went so smooth that I'm actually scared. For those of you that haven't done this, I'll point out a few things that I noticed during the tear down. While taking the top cap off of the drive, part it slowly with a screwdriver because it houses the upper bearing carrier. Also, after removing the bearing retain, tap on the U-joint and the bearing and input shaft assembly will ease right out. I strapped the drive down so I could get the leverage I needed to break the retainer loose. Here is everything disassembled.

The seals looked a little better than I expected, but I'm going to replace everything that I can since it is already broken down. I'm going to upload my trusty shop manual to my ipad so that I can have it with me tomorrow for part 2 of the outdrive work because some of these seals are not the easiest to locate.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well today was pretty successful even though I quite a little early. Otherwise I would still be there now. I started back this morning with picking up where I left off with the outdrive. I installed all of the seals that I knew belonged but I got a little stumped when I found this one (in the back).

I was lost because It is a double lip and is slightly shorter than the 2 that go in the so I began to question whether there was another model that accepted a single seal. After a little more work, I think I found its home in the oil cap under the water pump. I would have thought it wouldn't be included in the upper unit kit, but I could also be wrong. This whole job didn't take but about another hour including reassembly so I was rather pleased.
Next I started the water pump rebuild. The grooves worn in the upper housing is why I decided to do the complete kit.

The kit also came with the new oil seal cap that I mentioned above. It has to be pried out with two screw driver the the oil somewhat forces it to pull a vacuum so it was a little difficult to start moving. When I was replacing the new on, the manual said not to hammer it, but to force the fluid down I had to apply some slight love taps to get it to seal. I do not have the guide pins recommended to install the water pump but their primary purpose is to center the shaft to the opening on the upper housing. I just started my screws and manually clearanced the gap by eye.
I then dropped the upper unit back on and we are ready to go with the drive.

FYI. I don't have an outdrive stand but this setup above worked pretty well. I screwed the 2x4 down since I was walking around them alot and It you need to anchor it to torque down on anything, you can use a rachet strap.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This was supposed to be all one post, but I hit enter at the wrong time.

The was going so fast I decided to start the disassembly of the gimbal housing. First thing I found was a broke part on my port trim sender.

I looked at some used ones and they run about $50 but I found a new set on Amazon Prime for $65 so thats a no brainer. I had actually considered replacing them anyway so what the heck. I popped the hinge pins out and yes they were pretty tight so I had to get a cheater pipe on my 1/2" drive ratchet, but that was enough encouragement. I broke everything loose from the bell housing without much trouble. The retainer ring for the u-joint bellow was the only other thing that needed a little encouragement. After you get the bell housing out of the way it's pretty much picking which clamp you can reach the easiest. I ended up having all of the bellows and hoses out within an hour or so. Everything had went good up until I started removing the lower shift cable. I made a removal tool out of an extra 9/16" socket we had. I set the tool on the brass nut that threads into the bell housing and it would just turn. I ended up having to cut the cable, then use a dremel tool to cut the upper portion down so my extractor would get in there. This worked pretty well, but I did try a few other methods before finding one that worked. Here's a couple of pictures of the culprit.

With all the clutter out I figured I might as well double check the gimbal bearing and sure enough it was froze up. I'm guessing between the hole in the bellow, the ding where I hit the seal on the last install, and no alignment last time, I wasn't surprised. I had only had the boat less that a year so I was completely green on the whole subject. Luckily the kit I ordered had the bearing, I was just planning on saving it if I didn't need it. The bearing came out super easy and the seal is still in great shape so I won't be replacing it this time. So at this point, this is where I am.

You can see from this picture that the grease told the tell of water being around the bearing and the ding I put in the seal.

Tomorrow I am going to start putting some of the parts back in but I don't want to get too far ahead since I need to order the senders. It can be done with everything in, but I would much rather have the extra room to route the wires. I still have a few other things that I can do in the mean time so at least I can still make some progress. If anything interesting happens, I'll try to give an update.

Rickmerrill

Good info, I don't understand all of it but I will need it once I get there. I learned a valuable lesson on how important it is not to have grooves in your water pump housing when I was about 16. Replaced the impeller on a 5hp Evinrude but still low cooling water flow. Took the assembly to a shop and the guy showed me the grooves and told me how that messes up the suction.

Status
Not open for further replies.