91 celebrity first splash, issues??

MikDee

Banned
VC, I don't know how much experience you have with boats? But, glass "like a lake" water is not the best for speed, it holds you back, because of suction.
A small, to medium, chop (like a machine gun) airs out the hull providing the most speed! A Q-jet is the basically same auto, or marine, but the marine version is somewhat sealed to prevent no loss of vapors, (but still made to work on), it also has a waterproof plastic filter cartr idge, where the "metallic stone" is normally located in the Q-jet.

By the way, I also got 50mph out of an old 20' SeaRay bowrider with a 228hp, 4bbl 5.0 Mercruiser, fully trimmed out, on a slight chop, and a new 14"x19" pitch Black Max alum prop!
But, I also tweaked it a bit with a polished bottom, synthetic oil, and Thru-hull exhaust. Before the new prop, 47mph was the normal everyday trimmed out WOT speed.

So, considering our boats were about the same weight, and yours has the 5.7, and a hull more designed for speed, I'd say there's a lot more potential there!
Who doubt's me now? :D

My 79' SeaRay specs: http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Sea_Ray_Boats__200_BR__1979/bp/66b76079

Last edited:

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really appreciate all your guys time, help and info!!! Ill make to sure keep updating this thread as I find things out. I've been boating for about 3years now. This is my second boat. But don't read that as lack of experience/knowledge.

NHGuy

Captain
You are getting into the 50's I know it. And I appreciate the kind words about speed, but I want to tell you there are days I wish my boat had a deeper deadrise (bottom angle) so it would ride better in chop. That would mean less top speed. But I have what I have.
I do the same thing with my early & late day rides. I like to get pretty flat water for a bit of high speed. It really is one of those favorite things.

MikDee

Banned
You are getting into the 50's I know it. And I appreciate the kind words about speed, but I want to tell you there are days I wish my boat had a deeper deadrise (bottom angle) so it would ride better in chop. That would mean less top speed. But I have what I have.
I do the same thing with my early & late day rides. I like to get pretty flat water for a bit of high speed. It really is one of those favorite things.

My Bayliner 19' skiboat has a more flat vee, with extra strakes for speed, compared to the standard Bayliner Capri's, so I know what you mean about the ride, it also is very low, so all the time, you're either squatting, or kneeling :rolleyes: But if that Celebrity has the same speed designed hull as my old 225 Celebrity S.S. then it's like a perfect combination. :) That's why I'm stuck on this thread.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm surprised you guys have stuck around with thread. 3 pages..whew. :). Much appreciated. Ok so I got to check the timing tonite. The balancer was already marked with paint marker. On the line. A dot about 2degrees either side of the line and a line a little down which I'm guessing is the total advance mark that someone made. I turned the timing light to 8degree and it was pretty spot on. More like 7-3/4 degrees.. So that was all good. I was kind of hoping for off timing so I could correct it lol. I took video that I'll upload to YouTube soon. I'm really thinking majority of my issue is a carb/fuel issue.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are a few more pics showing the hull shape. Also the motor. Thats just a cheap tarp untill my westland exact fit cover comes. also a pic to show how tall the sides are.

IMG_20140628_122227_zps9deb4e0e.jpg

IMG_20140628_122240_zps77ad108a.jpg

IMG_20140628_145357_zpscd3b3ccf.jpg

IMG_20140628_145342_zps1cc75d10.jpg

IMG_20140629_135329_zps1bf0cddd.jpg

Heres a short video clip, yes I realize that I recorded it the wrong way. Also I recorded in HD yet after going to youtube its only 360p.. lame! Does the engine sound ok? its running about 650rpms at idle.

http://youtu.be/JZwiAG73kkA

MikDee

Banned
Yeah, that looks like a similar hull design to my old 22' Celebrity cuddy, a Fine design, not to shallow a Vee, nor too deep, and plenty of lifting strakes!
Hey, why does your spark look intermittent? You don't have one of those flat Dizzy caps ("a crab cap") do you? They've been known to cause running issues. I'd check out the rotor, cap, and wires If not a steady spark.

Last edited:

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed that.. But only after I recorded it. So wasn't sure if it was video skipping. And yes I think the cap does look more flat. Wires and plugs look fairly recent.

MikDee

Banned
The flat Dizzy caps plastic is too thin, it cracks almost invisibly, and the wiring shorts out inside causing problems. An internet search will turn up many hits for this (crab cap). A few people have gone to NAPA's Best Chevy 5.7 1500 Truck cap with heavy duty plastic, & brass, or copper terminals, as long as it's not too high, and fits on?

Last edited:

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I googled it. And my cap still has the plugs coming out of the top but is more flat... Its not the real flat kind that has the terminals coming out the sides... Also the cap and rotor doesn't seem to be the kind that can be replaced by vehicle components??

MikDee

Banned
So I googled it. And my cap still has the plugs coming out of the top but is more flat... Its not the real flat kind that has the terminals coming out the sides... Also the cap and rotor doesn't seem to be the kind that can be replaced by vehicle components??

Alrighty then, just check it all out, so you know what you've got.

NHGuy

Captain
I'm jealous of your engine access, my rear seat back is about 6" from the crank pulley, and it's a pain to R&R. Your motor sounds good. I keep mine idled down around 725 or so to get 650 in gear. It will actually shift and run as low as 625 neutral - 525 in gear, but that's right on the edge of stalling.
If you look on your ignition control and it's a Thunderbolt IV you can see what it does for advance. It should say V8 22 or V8 20 where the # is the amount of advance it will do at "all in". So if you want every pony at wide open throttle take your all in # and subtract that fro the module advance to decide beginning advance.
Mine is a V8 22 and I want 32 all in, so I have my idle advance at 10 degrees. Mercruiser says to do 8 degrees BTDC, I assume that is to avoid detonation claims.
If you give it extra advance make sure to listen for detonation and don't go wide open without perfect cooling, it kills motors.

MikDee

Banned
Good info NHGuy, Your BAHA, must be a slick boat! :thumb: VC, another thing to check is if the flame arrestor is clean? You seem to know Q-Jets, from what you mentioned, so that's a good thing, not much different rebuilding if you hafta, then an automotive one. Actually that engine looks fresh, and clean as a whistle, like the rest of your boat.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine is very clean other than the gritty dust that collects. The spark arrestor was filthy when I got the boat so I cleaned it real good. Also, it was idling under 500rpms.. Would barely stay running and was hard to start. I turned the idle up to approximately 650-700 and it sounds much better (or does the idle seem too high in the video?).

Bondo

Staff member
Engine is very clean other than the gritty dust that collects. The spark arrestor was filthy when I got the boat so I cleaned it real good. Also, it was idling under 500rpms.. Would barely stay running and was hard to start. I turned the idle up to approximately 650-700 and it sounds much better (or does the idle seem too high in the video?).

Ayuh,.... Spec per the manual is 650/ 700 rpms, in the water, in gear,....

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the idle mixture is correct on all circuits, idle speed stop screw is set correct, and timing is right, you probably should be able to maintain steady idle at 640 to 675 range at load in gear no problem. Typical "ball-park" idle speed in neutral in the water should be close to 750rpms, however its the idle mixture setting, idle speed, and idle smoothness at load in gear that counts.

Recommend you take the guesswork out and buy a mechanic digital tach or you can buy a timing gun with this feature built-in.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll look at some TACHS. My main objective here is to figure out why I can't run wot at 4,400-4,600 rpm's with a 19p prop and hit the projected 50-55mph. Like it seems I should be able to.

NHGuy

Captain
trimmed up a little, low fuel, slight chop should get you max speed. f you have a smartphone try a smartphone gps app. Maybe the boat speedo is low, though I think more read too high than those that read too low.

NHGuy

Captain
Now that I think about it I had a 19 at one point and the boat would run out of rpms at 49 or 51 mph, as I recall.