91 225 j225txess wont shut down?

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 91 Johnson 225, motor has had a rebuild internals, ran fine for over a yr then started to run rough, had carbs cleaned , found magnets busted and rebuilt, replaced warn base timer due to wobbleing mags, motoer worked fine all summer . now I lost one bank of cyl #2,4,6 put on new power pack and still no 246, tried swapping leads from stator and still no 246. disconnected blk/yel wire and 246 came alive. tried new ing switch and lead cable but motor wont shut down, changed back to old lead and motor drops out 246 but still runs ?????????

thank you for any help

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 91 225 j225txess wont shut down?

I am not real familier with your engine, but you have to ground the yellow/wire to shut the engine off. It souds like a power pack problem.
Go to the CDI website and look up your engine and use their troubleshooting guide to help you find your problem.

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the power pack and same problem. I will check the yellow wire :) thank you Davit

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Your first post is somewhat confusing.
Just so we are talking about the same thing:
2,4,6 is the cylinder bank on the port side.

You replaced the power pack but with all the wires connected back up that bank still doesn't fire.

When you disconnect the black/yellow wire to that side of the pack the engine runs on all cylinders.

With the B/Y wire still disconnected and the ignition switch switch OFF 1,3,5 should shut down but 2,4,6 will continue to fire and the engine will continue to run (poorly). With the B/Y wire still disconnected that side of the pack cannot be shorted to ground through the ignition switch. Is that the case?

When you say you replaced the ignition switch and lead cable I don't know what lead cable you are referring to. Can you clarify?

With the new ignition switch and new lead wire does it run on all 6 cylinders with the ignition switch ON?

With the new ignition switch and new lead wire does it run on all 6 cylinders with the ignition switch OFF? If so you do not have a path to ground from one of the M terminals (black wire) on the ignition switch back to the ground on the engine or you have a break in the B/Y wire between the engine harness and the switch. The B/Y wire connects to one of the M terminals and the Black Ground Wire connects to the other M terminal. With the switch OFF the m terminals contacts in the switch are made and the B/Y wire is connected to ground and should kill both sides of the pack.

If you can answer those question we may be able to help.

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the port side will not fire with the blk/y wire connected, you put the lead out and 2.4.6 will fire up, the lead is the cable coming from the ing switch to the motor with the red plug. with the new cable and ing key switch I can start the motor but it wont shut it down.but all six cyl will fire. it sure sounds like a ground problem
With the blk/y wire connected the 2,4,6 will not fire, disconnect it and they fire up with both power packs.

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice

Ok seemed I have a shortin thecotrol cable from helm to motor, replaced the cable and motor still would not shut down but all cyl's fired . under the power pack there are the 2 kill leads and one of them was no good , so when you tried to shut down motor it wasn't grounding out, fixed lead ....fixed problem :) yea. But heres the rest of the story .... new cable is 2 feet to short to reach helm LOL