'90 15hp merc. cold start issue

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
I posted about this before I rebuilt my carb. and was originally pointed in the direction that I need to have the motor lync 'n sync'd. I just want to get a second opinion before paying a tech because money is tight right now.

Before I rebuilt the carb it wouldn't stay running, it would make a puff out of the exhaust and die. Now that I cleaned it and put in new gaskets/needle it runs like a dream when it's warm... but, when starting it cold, it still makes the puff noise and almost stalls out and does this for a minute or two until it's warm.

If it's a timing issue I'm going to have to pay to have it done. But, could it be something more simple like plug gap, or plug wires? Wires appear to be fine. I bought new plugs and the guy at the merc. shop said they were pre-gapped. Anyone know what they're supposed to be gapped at? BR8HS 10.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '90 15hp merc. cold start issue

Anyone have this happen before???

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the idle mixture screw turned 1 1/4-1 1/2 turns out from seated.
I only ask because I bought a 8hp mariner and the guy got it running
after 2 pulls but when I tried to start it 2 wks later, no go. After I wore
my arm out pull starting it I checked the idle mix screw and it was set at 3/4
turns out. Its started on 2-3 pulls ever since I adjusted it.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure specifically where it's at right now I just backed it off of being fully closed by a few turns. I'll set it to that setting and give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the response

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you check out your fuel pump?

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah the fuel pump is attached to the carb. and the rebuild kit came with the carb. rebuild, so it's in new condition.