89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

lookin good max,
It would clean it up a lot if you boxed it in, but that could be a lot of extra work to make it look good.

I'm having a time trying to decide what to do back there.
Boxing it in sounds good, simple, clean and neat. Whatever I do, I need to gain strength at the transom that's for sure.

Have a great day! :)

Attachments

• Picture 2230.jpg
    Picture 2230.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

I originally went out to do some work on the gunwales of the boat today and ended up pondering all the other problems with the boat.
First I found the steering cable had locked up solid and the resin finish on the wooden cable trough I had built in the deck had let go and the wood was soaked with water.
My bilge pump will need replacing with a new one.
I'm about ready to pull the aluminum fuel tank out and switch to a portable tank, just about tired of fighting trash every season from the boat setting over the years.
Not all is lost! At least I know what direction I am going in on the boat now.:rolleyes:

max!

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

I tell you what here is a vote of confidence. Your project has made me believe that you can make about any boat whatever you want it to be. Instead of someone going a buying a new one just redo the one they have. unless you want to get a longer boat. Then you would have to just extend the hull like oops. Good job man nice work
Darrin

maxum247

Lieutenant

Thanks Darrin!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I recently got a good look inside the fuel tank, it appears to be clean, finally. I did some other odds and end work getting the gas tank sealed up and ready to receive gas and checked the gas tank vent hose to be certain that it is clear and will vent correctly.
I purchased an "attwood water seperating fuel filter kit" for the outboard motor. I should have done that a long time ago.

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Went to Walmart and purchased a new attwood TSUNAMI series 800 GPH bilge pump today, upgraded from the 20 year old 360 GPH attwood bilge pump that had stopped working.
Also picked up a new 12'x24' tarp to cover the boat with as the old one had started leaking pretty badly.

Attachments

• Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Have a question for the fiberglass guys here on the forum. I am building plywood gunwales (washboards) on my 1989 Maxum fiberglass boat, and am wondering what type of fiberglass cloth I should use to make the gunwales (washboards) sturdy and strong?
The gunwales will be roughly 6 to 8 inches wide. I would like to use one layer of cloth if possible to complete the project. I will be using polyester resin as this is what the budget will allow.
Included is a rough picture of the plywood gunwales that I built on the boat when it was a bowrider, but this will be a Center Console and have gunwales running the entire length of the boat instead of part of the way like the bowrider.
I will be entering and exiting the boat by useing the gunwales as a stepping stone if you will and the gunwales will be supported with framing to the deck and hull but I would like to make sure the gunwales are strong.
I am familiar with fiberglassing but have done mostly finishing type fiberglass work on boats, not much structural experience, so my experience with different cloths is limited.
Thanks for any advice you may be able to share.

max

Attachments

• STA70902.JPG
    STA70902.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 481.jpg
    Picture 481.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello maxum, I am new to the site and have been reading your posts. I think you have a great looking boat there. I am also restoring an old Bayliner and have been thinking of changing the layout of the inside. But anyway as far as your gunwhales, what if you put wood on the inside edge going from the gunwhale/step down to the floor. Then you could cut out doors in that and have some extra hidden storage boxes in the sides.

maxum247

Lieutenant

88 I was reading your thread about the time you were responding to my thread. I'll be checking out your rebuild. Thanks for the storage idea.

max

maxum247

Lieutenant

Need your opinions on fiberglass cloth to use on my plywood gunwales:confused: Heres an example of what my gunwales will look like sort of.

Attachments

• STA70869.JPG
    STA70869.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Need your opinion guy's please read quote's above. Thanks!

max

bear_69cuda

Commander

Max,

I'm no expert by any means... But I would guess heaver cloth like 10oz, 17oz, or maybe 1708 Knitted & Biaxial, would give great strength.... I think the heaver the cloth the stronger it will be... Then you may get by with one layer...

Can't wait to see her finished! Great work dude!

maxum247

Lieutenant

bear,

Thanks for the reply.
I have done some studying today and have about decided that 1708 biaxal may be the way to go as you mention. Seems like the mat on the underside will give the weave of the cloth more strength.

Anyone else have an opinion of the type of cloth I should use on my plywood gunwales? Here's another picture of what the gunwales will resemble when finished but will be almost twice as wide. thanks!

Attachments

• STA70970.JPG
    STA70970.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 470.jpg
    Picture 470.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude,

Did you have her out today???? Is that a recent pic????

maxum247

Lieutenant

That's an old picture I used as an example to demonstrate the sort of gunwale I am planning on building on the boat.
I'm hopeing to use the boat some this summer, but it will probably be unfinished for some time.

max

maxum247

Lieutenant

While it was raining today I rigged up my 8 hole finish sander to a shop vac for sanding the interior of the boat. I don't know how well it will work at scooping up the fiberglass dust, but I figure it will help some.

Next I rigged up a second shop vac with a small plastic storage container that will hopefully work to catch more of the sanding dust as I sand.
I'll let you know after I try them wether they work well or not.

Later I went to Home Depot and purchased some 60 grit hook and loop sandpaper. I wanted 40 grit but they didn't have it.
I also purchased a hooded paper suit to wear while working on the boat.

I have a little deconstruction to do in the bow area of the boat before I get started sanding. I need to remove a shelve that runs along each side of the bow of the boat.

Here's a picture of my shop vac set ups and a picture of the boat showing the carpeted shelves that I want to remove as soon as I get the chance.

Attachments

• Picture 105.jpg
    Picture 105.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
  • STA70868.JPG
    STA70868.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Maxum, I also think that you should go with 1708 Biax for the gunwales. I have actually done a lot of research and it seems to be very strong and cheaper then using a layer of 8oz mat and then a layer of 17oz cloth. If I am not mistaken that is what 1708 is. But just to make sure you may want to ask a fiberglass seller.
By the way, that is an awesome shop-vac set up.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey Maxum, I also think that you should go with 1708 Biax for the gunwales. I have actually done a lot of research and it seems to be very strong and cheaper then using a layer of 8oz mat and then a layer of 17oz cloth. If I am not mistaken that is what 1708 is. But just to make sure you may want to ask a fiberglass seller.
By the way, that is an awesome shop-vac set up.

1708, 17oz. of cloth and 8oz. of mat is correct from the studies I've done.

I've sanded about half of the interior hull with 60 grit on the orbital sander with the shop vac set up and it's doing a pretty good job of smoothing out the lumps and bumps in the fiberglass and keeping the dust down, the 8 holes in the pad are nice for picking up the dust. A little coarser grit paper would have been nice but 60 had to do for the moment.

The plastic tote didn't work well, a gallon milk jug with a smaller surface area might have worked better.

max

Attachments

• Picture 253.jpg
    Picture 253.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I had mentioned earlier removing the shelves in the bow area but I ended up taking my jigsaw and trimming down the width of the shelves in the bow area instead because of the way the shevles are glassed into the hull. Removing the shelves would affect the thickness of the bow area that the gunwales fastened to, the area would end up being paper thin so I just left them to be covered by the gunwales.

max

Attachments

• Picture 279.jpg
    Picture 279.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

Seems like everytime I turn around it's raining!
I took off work a little early yesterday to work on the boat, drove home and almost as soon as I got home it started raining and rained the rest of the evening, and it's misting rain today again!
Guess it will stop raining when it's ready and I will likely be at work when it does!:(

max

Status
Not open for further replies.