89Force 125HP Tilt and trim bleeding off....

redneckboater

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 89 Force 125hp outboard and the trim and tilt bleeds off slowly... If I tilt the motor all the way up within 5mins the motor has came all the way down to full draft. The whole system has no leaks and works perfectly going up and down just wont hold its position. I have never changed the oil in the system either. I hope someone can help me... Thanks

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89Force 125HP Tilt and trim bleeding off....

I have the same year and horsepower engine does the same thing!
Force system, the trim cylinder and tilt cylinders are serviceable. The shock absorber is replaced as an assembly. The valve body is not serviceable and is replaced as an assembly.
There are leak down tests that can be done to determine the problem areas.
A clymer manual for your engine is a good investment, will walk you through the test so you can figure out what you need to replace or rebuild. max!

mcruea

Seaman

a good person to talk to is rritt, this guy help me rebuilt my valve body and it stop bleeding down. its just a few o rings to do , this guy is probly one of the best when it comes to this power trim , he knows what he is talking about
mcruea

clanton

Rear Admiral

The check valve seals are bad, cost about 6.00 located in the pump housing, a search of this site should locate the Merc part number and photo of valve.

RRitt

Captain

The check valve seals are bad, cost about 6.00 located in the pump housing, a search of this site should locate the Merc part number and photo of valve.

yup, almost certainly the check valves. In some literature they may be referred to as manual release plugs. You can buy the valve from mercury. I think the part number is F17620. You will need two of them along with a #11 oring for slider piston. However, I think they are more like $60 each than $6.

I am not sure what to say about DIY. It is very possible to get a cheap and easy fix. But I think it's equally likely to mess up your pump. Whatever you do, don't remove the bolts holding together the two halves. If it gets to that point then send your pump off for professional rebuild. The other "don't do that" is to use the wrong retaining rings. You want 9/16" stainless steel. The slider piston is not replaceable. If one of your plugs pops out and the slider piston goes to bottom of lake with it then your pump is pretty much ruined.

and here is the test.
1) raise your engine & block into place.
2) Take tube that leads to bottom of tilt ram loose from pump.
3) Cap off the tube using 3/16" inverterted flare fittings from any NAPA.
4) Remove engine blocking and observe.

If engine drifts down then tilt ram is bad.

If engine stays up then either pump or trim cylinder is bad.

If color of trim fluid is red then it is a gamble but probably the pump.

If fluid is not red then it is almost certainly pump. trim ram almost never fails unless the fluid is ATF

redneckboater

Seaman Apprentice

Alright ill try that im convinced its the pump too... Ill do the test and get back to yall with my results. Thanks Again :D

clanton

Rear Admiral

The check valve is 60 or more ,if you can find, but the valve can be disassambled and the small seal replaced.