'89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

RCrockett

Seaman
Re: '89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

2012-08-11194326.jpg

you can see here the deck by the ski locker is all rotting out too. Looks like i had the same issues as Tthomp3 inb his thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=536467

RCrockett

Seaman

IMAG0409.jpg

All ready to pull the motor. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. Then I can focus on the floor replacement.

Trooper82

Commander

The side of the boat with dry foam still might be wet underneath.....you can make a tube drill from a piece of pvc to get foam out all the way to the hull...mine was dry on top and wet on the bottom....

RCrockett

Seaman

With the foam wet on one side, I am going to assume it is all wet. After the motor is out i will take up the deck and see how bad the stringers look. I am figuring on the worst case scenario. My plan is to totally replace the deck, stringers, and foam. All this depends on how bad the motor is messed up. I still think i can fix it for less than buying a new boat.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-24193031.jpg

Well the motor is finally out of the boat.

2012-08-24194011.jpg

2012-08-24194021.jpg

these cracks look really bad now! They do not go all the way back to the transum. I am holding out hope that the transom is ok. Will drill some test holes soon.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-24194323.jpg

Now i just have to figure out how to attach this to my engine stand...hmmmm

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-26115758.jpg

Took the bell housing off then the coupler and flywheel.

2012-08-26134959.jpg

I hooked the stand up like this. I hope I chose the right holes. I am getting ready to drop the oil pan to see how much damage has been done.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-26140708.jpg

Seem to be pretty stable...but looks a little top heavy.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-26134959.jpg

Ok I pulled the motor and hooked it up to an engine stand...

2012-08-26153256.jpg

We dropped the oil pan and looked inside and....Everything looks good. grrrr!
The bearings are showing some wear but nothing seroius. There are not and chunks of metal, everything looks good. We did find chuncks of magnet all over the place on the front of the oil pan...Could that have made a screeching noise and stop the motor?

I also posted this in another thread in the motor section. In this post..
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=568916
Things that make you go hmmmmm!

RCrockett

Seaman

I think I found my problem with the motor...
2012-08-27133810.jpg

2012-08-27133819.jpg

I found all of these pieces in my stator assembly. I can see where it rubbed up against the motor.
One problem solved (I hope) on to the floor.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-27161147.jpg

2012-08-27161323.jpg

2012-08-27161110.jpg

This looks ugly! looks like the floor has been replaced before. I see cut marks in the foam and stringers. All the stringers are bad. The front motor mount is soft and by tapping on the transom I can tell there is a hollow spot so I am assuming it is bad too. The floor seems soft all the way to the nose. I was hoping the transom would be ok but....

Well, I was expecting the worst and I got it. At least the motor seems to be ok.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you get the motor running? I think most Iboaters abide by the rule: no running motor, no restoration. From personal experience, if you are not prepared to spend whatever it takes to repair or replace the current motor, then I would make sure that you are 100% satisfied with its operation before you sink a dime into that particular hull. At least the possibility exists that you can break even or maybe profit on money spent on repairing the motor and outdrive. It is practically impossible to recoup funds spent on replacing stringers.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Take plenty of core samples from the transom if thats ok carry on. This is the toughest part of the job...not knowing whats next and where to go. If the transom is good cut the floor with a circular saw just total destruction..get a angle grinder...36 grit sand paper..resprirators..be careful and have at it. Dont worry its just like ripping a floor out of a house..its just glued together...:D

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc-sanding-disc-accessory-pack/p-00916045000P

Thats the sand paper mount it on the grinder it cuts glass and foam like butter..Just be careful.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-28184415.jpg

No Gator i have not got it running yet, but i found out what the problem was. I turned the #2 rod bearing. Taking it to a machine shop to have it looked at. Also the magnets were coming out of the rotor around the stator.
2012-08-27133810.jpg

All in all i think this will be an easy fix for the motor. It was running real good before this happened.

My wife and I have discussed this and have come to a decision. We are going to fix this boat! I am having more fun tearing into this boat and learning what to do. I know in the end I will have put a lot of money in to it. I am learning how these boats are put together and loving it. I figure the motor will run me less than $1000 to rebuild and around $2000 for the floor. I plan on keeping this boat for many years so I am not worried about getting my money back or making a profit.

Thanks for the link Tail Gunner, I have an angle grinder and just got some 36 grit wheels for it at home depot last night. I wan t to pick up another cheap grinder from somewhere (maybe Northern tools) because I know that dust can get into it an ruin it. Someone suggested coffee filters around them to keep the dust out...Is that a good idea? I think the floor is going to be more of a spring project, weather is starting to get cooler. I think by the time I get all the grinding done it will be close to winter and too cold to fiberglass. I don't know yet. I do know that i want that motor fixed and back together!!

Thank you for all your help and support, It really helps! I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you. I am looking forward to watching it all come together.

Have a good weekend.
Gator

RCrockett

Seaman

Sorry I have not posted any updates. Because of a torn hamstring putting me out of work for a month...Money has been tight. Besides, winter is coming!!! trying to get everything ready for winter has kinda put the restoration in hold. I am however getting ready to get the Crank out of the motor and send it to the machine shop. Since i have to take the head off I am going to pressure test all of that to make sure it is good.

I am most likely going to have to replace the rod with the bad bearing...Should I replace them all? If so, where is the best place to get them? Having a hard time finding them.

With the motor out and all the fluids (i think) drained...Is there anything I need to worry about freezing? The Outdrive is on a stand and still has the oil in it. Not sure about any water though. Is there anything I should do to winterize it? My garage is not heated.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Rcrockett glad to see my thread could help you! Its bizarre that your boat, thats identical to mine, had the rot start in the same exact spot as mine. Looking through these pics of yours takes me back. After looking at your pics, i don't believe your floor has been replaced before, or if it has the stringers were not replaced. The stringer design is identical to mine and most people are too lazy to replace it exactly how the factory built it. These boats were built like a tank. Take plenty of pictures to help you in the rebuild process and my advice would be to get the boat completely grinded down over the winter, you don't want to be sweating while your covered in fiberglass dust. You might find that your budget of 2000 for the floor might be a little low once you account for all of your grinding wheels, masks, and all of the other little 20 dollar items that add up. All said and done my 186 cost around $3800 to rebuild, but this is including all new upholstery and custom made captains chairs from vaeda, and a large roll of marine grade carpet that cost a pretty penny. Exclude those items and you should have a ball park figure for a budget ;) Im glad to see that your putting the time in to restore this great boat, the hull design is timeless and they look great in the water. If you need any advice shoot me a pm I'm here to help!

RCrockett

Seaman

Hey thanks for checking in Tthomp3! I want to be working on my boat so bad right now. But the temps here in Maine, and my job, are keeping me away from it. I am getting ready to order a bunch of stuff for the boat, prob from US Composites, any idea how much stuff you used? At least all of my interior is pretty good, none of it has to be redone. That is saving a little bit on the budget. I have some engine guys helping me and saving me some money on the engine rebuild. My original estimate is a little low, but we have made the decision to do this and do it right. In the end we will have a boat that will last us many years.

RCrockett

Seaman

What a long winter this has been. I wish I had heat in my garage! Also wish my boat would fit into it! But, it is starting to warm up around here and I am very anxious to get at it. The 15 inches of snow we got last week set me back a little. It is supposed to be in the 40s all week this and I hope to get into the boat and get started with the deconstruction. I am trying to put together my shopping list and get prices for the fiberglass and resin.

Bottom line is I cant wait to get it in the water! would like to be splashed by memorial day, but I think the 4th of July is more reasonable expectation. Wish me luck, I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

RCrockett

Seaman

2013-02-09_12-20-08_689.jpg
[/URL]

We still have snow on the ground here so getting started is delayed a little bit.