89 Sylvan Supersportster

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 Sylvan Supersportster

Thanks!

Its my first boat, and I havent talked to many that know sylvan's. I did ZERO research before I bought it, and I am still happy I bought it. I do have a bunch of pictures I could show.

I Am planning on sticking the batteries up front, to hlep the weight balance and free up some room in the back. I will need some pointers before jumping into that project

Attachments

• resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey all,

So I spent the afternoon investigating my transom/splashwell leak, and found a couple of interesting things.... on my sylvan boat, the splashwell is bent DOWN, and then screwed to the transom. Seems to me like a real dumb idea, but what do I know.

So question one for anyone with experience, should I just remove the screws, clean out the space between and put a good bead of 5200 in there, then replace the screws? or should I screw in a larger screw to try to get a tighter fit?

Second question, you can see in the first picture the area that is still damp, there was a triangle shape of foam there. IT is clearly holding mostiure as I have had the boat of the lake for a month, and it is eating up TONS of room. Do I really need that foam, or can I secure my batteries in that space, and just enjoy the extra room i get?

Thanks for any advice, I am learning as I go here...

Shane

Attachments

• DSCN0434RE.jpg
    DSCN0434RE.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0433RE.jpg
    DSCN0433RE.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0435re.jpg
    DSCN0435re.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I was hoping someone might come along with better advice but since they didn't...... If it was me, I'd do as you propose with the 5200 and I'd ditch the foam.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, its the best solution I can think of. I am jsut worried that those screws will back out first time on the lake, and I will have a leak again. I will see if i can get a little larger screw maybe..

I was also going to move my batteries all the way up from so I would have more room in the back, but now when I ditch that foam, they will tuck nicely under there, so I am happy about that!

Anyone else with experience with this set up of transom/splashwell any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shane

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am jsut worried that those screws will back out first time on the lake, and I will have a leak again. I will see if i can get a little larger screw maybe.

Have the screws backed out before? I wouldn't bother with replacing them unless they are giving you troubles. Just clean everything up real good (acetone works well) and apply the 5200.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I am going on my third year with the boat, and I just finally pin pointed my leak ... I will just tighten them and keep an eye on them

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

well bad news for me...

The majority of the screws dont tighten. they get snug, then pop out loose...

I ahve to ideas, jsut looking for opinions.

should i just screw in bigger screws, or should I do that plus drill new holes between the screws and screw in more screws??

thanks

Shane

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just go with the next size up screw. Getting them a little longer might help as well if these were short. Just make sure they don't go through the other side.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

It does look like I will be able to get then a little longer and get away with it..
I got one in my pocket, will be going to lowes after work today..