89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

Yeah Joe, mine are rivited thru the hull with cutouts for the ribs???

North Beach

Commander

OK, we?re still tryin to keep it movin here so late this evening after work I broke out the drill and the pry bars and went to work on removing the splashwell. This was accomplished by basically removing the rearward splash pan that goes up and over the top of the transom. After removing all the thru transom bolts and drilling out all the factory rivits you have to razor knife the sealant and it pops right out. This allows you to bend the rest of the splashwell assembly towards the center and pop it out. Here?s a shot of it all out of the boat.

Mariner39.jpg

What we found under all that was that the hull is still in good shape. The transom wood however will need replaced. Most of it is wet and we found a bunch of ?festering? goin on in there. Here?s a couple shots with the splashwell out.

Mariner42.jpg

Mariner43.jpg

Mariner41.jpg

We did find a little damage to one of the knee braces and we?ll repair that when we start putting things back together. The knee braces are thru bolted to the transom and riveted on the bottom thru the bow to stern stringers that are also riveted to the hull. As I said earlier, this is a change from the 66 model Starcraft that just has blind rivits connecting the bow to stern stringers to the hull stringers.

Mariner45.jpg

Now we?ll order new douglas fir marine grade plywood for the deck and transom replacement and begin cleaning up the bilge for rivet tweeking and gluvit. I?ll also begin plotting on exactly how I want to beef up the foam damaged stringers. We also need to remove all the vinyl on the topside and decide whether we?ll go back with new vinly or clean and paint.

Mariner44.jpg

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

NB,

Good progress. Those bilge pumps must be clogged solid. Keep at it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you are plugging away, nice work man!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Whale of a job on the splashwell removal....maybe a movie in the making..."free wellie".....ok ok I'm hanging my head in shame on that one{lol} Nice progress NB!!!

North Beach

Commander

Oh wow, looks like I got another promotion:)

sprintst

Commander

Cool. Might be able to pension out with those promotions and do this stuff as a hobby :)

North Beach

Commander

Yeah it hasn't been paying too well so far:)

Didn't have a lot of time to work on the boat today. Still playing around with rigging stuff up for the tractor-fuel tank and pump and all that stuff.

But I did manage to complete the demo of the floor and foam under the splash well, remove the tray for all the lines that run from the console to the stern and basically just get everything cleaned up.
It was almost dark when I finished so the pics are a little fuzzy:)

Mariner46.jpg

Mariner47.jpg

Tomorrow I'm gonna pull the transom wood and if there's enough time, give the bilge a final going over to pick any small peices of foam out and do a real scrubbing of the bilge area.

I'm also thinking I'll go buy some blasting sand and see if I can get this thing stripped inside and out. I've also got to order some gluvit. I think this one's gonna need a tad more than the LL did. I have noticed a few loose rivits and even a couple missing ones. It's also time to order some plywood.

Overall, the hull is in fairly good shape considering the foam related damage and the PO abuse in salt water. The pics make it look a little worse than it actually is and I'm confident that when we finish, this is gonna be a great fishin machine.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NB - That transom is festered pretty bad. Good thing it's coming out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

FISHING MACHINE is right! That rig will be sweet for that sort of fun on the water! Rock on NB!

Dallenx

Seaman Apprentice

NB...when you get a chance, could you measure the throttle and shifter cables? The previous owner of my boat did some cable work and put them on top of the deck. When I needed the boat for a summer trip I replaced the rotten deck boards but left the cable on top. I'd like to get new cables and put them under the deck again. Thanks.
Nice progress on your hull.

North Beach

Commander

D I'll be more than happy to measure when I go to installing the new ones if you'll post up a bigger pic of you boat!

Ok so we got fired up a little earlier today and decided that before the day was over the danged transom wood was coming out! First thing to do was remove the outer rubrail vinyl insert and the rubrail. Since so many folks are always asking, here?s a couple shots of what you find under the cast stern and bow trim once they?re removed.

Mariner48.jpg

Mariner49.jpg

You just drill out the rivet, insert the end of a screwdriver and pry the end up. Grab it and run. We?ll throw these away since they?re damaged pretty badly. We ran into a problem with the rub rail itself. Unlike the Liquid Limo, which was thru bolted, this rubrail appears to have been maybe air screwed. The screws are stainless and WILL NOT back out. After stripping several, I did a test drill and it looks like we?re gonna have at least a full day getting them off. We?ll come back to them later.

Not to be denied on the transom removal, a quick pry with the flat nail puller and the two top pieces of the three piece transom wood came right out-piece of cake.

Mariner51.jpg

Now to remove the cursed bottom section. I found a couple pieces of light chain in one of the mcguyver piles we keep around here and some 6? roofing screws and fastend two of them into the top of the transom wood.

Mariner50.jpg

Mariner52.jpg

We hooked up the new JD and while the tractor pulled, my nephew gave it a few whacks and she came right out!!! Here's a short video.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/HillbillyBowyer/89%20Mariner/?action=view&current=TransomPull.flv

For those of you who don?t want to watch the video, here?s a pic.

Mariner55.jpg

Once we got the wood out I took to hitting the inside of the transom aluminum and the back couple of bilge sections with a cheapo wire brush on my cordless Ryobi. What we found wasn?t good. I?ve seen this on a couple of the other Starcraft threads. The aluminum was pitted so bad on the transom that the holes go all the way thru.

Continued due to too many pics.........

North Beach

Commander

The pitting areas are about the size of a couple grapefruits but the severe areas that go all the way thru are much smaller. There is also some pitting in a couple small areas in the floor bit it looks as if we got to them in time. Here's a pic first of the transom and next of the bilge.

Mariner53.jpg

Mariner54.jpg

Looks like tomorrow when I return from looking at another boat trailer I?m gonna pick up a couple bags of sand and fire up the blaster to try and clean out the inside of this boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WAIT DON'T TOSS OUT THAT RUB RAIL JUST YET! I might be able to use it! Is this what you have...
P1000950.jpg

Hey look at that! That JD already paid for itself, sweet!!:)

North Beach

Commander

Dude the insert is not salvagable. Some of it looks just like the transom. I don't know what the heck happened to it???

This boat HAS NOT been very well taken care of. I guess it was time for me to tackle one in this condition. I already have a plan for the transom, and I know I'm gonna need at least twice the gluvit I used on the LL!

I'm measuring 1 9/16" thickness on the transom wood. It's swollen and decayed in places. Does that measurement sound right?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dude the insert is not salvagable. Some of it looks just like the transom. I don't know what the heck happened to it???

OK, cool thanks anyway. I think I only need about 8 or 10 feet to splice into what wasn't destroyed on my port side. I'd like to keep it original if I can help it.

Maybe a sasquach fish got to it? Happens like that sometimes ya know.

Cheers Buddy!

bananaboater

Ensign

I found a couple pieces of light chain in one of the mcguyver piles we keep around here and some 6? roofing screws and fastend two of them into the top of the transom wood.

I never thought of it but I have a McGuyver equipped shop. :D

North Beach

Commander

I found a couple pieces of light chain in one of the mcguyver piles we keep around here and some 6? roofing screws and fastend two of them into the top of the transom wood.

I never thought of it but I have a McGuyver equipped shop. :D

HaHa, my son ran the race car for a while and now the rock crawler so we try to keep anything we think may come in handy for hack fabricating:D

Status
Not open for further replies.