89 Reinell 215 CSF Cuddy

Imagenatas

Recruit
Hello Every one! I just wanted to intruduce myself. I have recently bought a boat for some ocean fishing. I know nothing about boating but i'm here to learn. If any one has any information specific to this boat please share as I have received little information about it. <br /><br />My one and only story about my boat. I had it all checked out and test ran on the dry dock. Everything sounded fine and lookeed good. I put it on the ocean and it overheated. I turned off the motor and allowed it to cool. I tried to start it back up but the engine wouldn't budge. Somehow the motor seized. It cost me $250 to get myself towed back in. Thank goodness i wasn't out further! Theough further investigation of why this happened my cousin determined it to be water in the tank. The boat sat for 5 years with condensation buildup and went coverless for about the entire time. Somehow water made it's way in there and even with all the engine checks and certifications from mechanics i could not avoid this event. Any who the boat is now in the hands of a pro and they will drain the tank and provide me with a rebuilt motor. <br /><br />That's my story... I'm still waiting on landing the big fish.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: 89 Reinell 215 CSF Cuddy

Ouch! sorry to hear about the seized motor on your first outing. At least you will be assured your motor is in good shape on your next venture out. It would be prudent to change the water pump impeller and gear oil in the lower unit before you go out next time. Water in the tank shouldn't have caused an overheat problem. More than likely, the water pump was bad from sitting. The impeller should be replaced every season, as well as the gear oil. If you are new to boating, you should check out some of the other forums and read up on maintainence procedures. You will find some good tips that will help avoid costly mistakes in the future. You don't want to be a long way offshore and have something break down. Also if you are planning on going very far out, you will want to make sure you have a good working VHF radio as your cell will not work.