89 Maxum 1700 SR possible project...

jbowling

Cadet
Obviously, I am new to iboats. I have owned a 24' Crest Pontoon for a few years now and looking to purchase a bowrider. I am looking at one which fits my budget. It is a 89' Maxum 1700 SR 17' with a 3.0 Mercruiser I/O. I am having the engine checked out at the moment by a shop in ATL. Once it is cleared I plan to check the stringers and transom. I have been told that the deck has a soft spot in the bow (4"-6" in diameter). The seats are mostly shot but I am ok with recovering them myself. My question is, if the engine, stringers and transom check out (fingers crossed) is $2250 a good purchase. I'm sure I will put another $1000 into carpet and vinyl, as well as, stereo system. I also would like some info on how to check the transom and stringers myself. Give your opinions and suggestions please.
-BOX
max1.jpgmax2.jpgmax3.jpgmax4.jpgmax5.jpg

jbowling

Cadet
Re: 89 Maxum 1700 SR possible project...

Also I know that I will need to replace the soft spot. Any suggestions with that. I am a very handy guy but replacing boat decking is pretty new to me.
Thanks again,
BOX

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Take a flash light. Use every crook and cranny to look below deck. Ski Locker, Engine Compartment etc...Look for ANY indications of water. If there is Foam Look for any indication of the foam being saturated. As for the transom. Look inside the motor housing and on the outside for cracks in the glass/gelcoat, empty bolt/screw holes, discoloration etc. 22 year old boats that have been stored outside for any length of time or for that matter that have been used a lot will have some damage. A soft spot in the deck can be a good indication that you have some problems below. Do a search on the forum for deck and stringer and transom replacements and you will get plenty of examples of what all COULD be in store. Plan for the worst and HOPE for the best. IF you have to tear out the deck and replace the stringers and transom, you are looking at 100 to 200 hours of work, 1 - 2k dollars. BUT when you are done. The boat will be better than new and will be there for your grand kids. Lot's of help here so you CAN DO IT if you have the Time, Dollars, and willingness to "Git Er DUN!"

SigSaurP229

Commander

Obviously, I am new to iboats. I have owned a 24' Crest Pontoon for a few years now and looking to purchase a bowrider. I am looking at one which fits my budget. It is a 89' Maxum 1700 SR 17' with a 3.0 Mercruiser I/O. I am having the engine checked out at the moment by a shop in ATL. Once it is cleared I plan to check the stringers and transom. I have been told that the deck has a soft spot in the bow (4"-6" in diameter). The seats are mostly shot but I am ok with recovering them myself. My question is, if the engine, stringers and transom check out (fingers crossed) is $2250 a good purchase. I'm sure I will put another $1000 into carpet and vinyl, as well as, stereo system. I also would like some info on how to check the transom and stringers myself. Give your opinions and suggestions please.
-BOX
View attachment 87890View attachment 87891View attachment 87892View attachment 87893View attachment 87894

No I would not pay $2250 for a boat with a soft floor. $1500.00 MAX and only if EVERYTHING else were in immaculate shape.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it all depends on if you really like the boat enough to spend 2250 then buy it but it sounds like you know what your getting into.
Woodonglass gave you great advice.

jbowling

Cadet

I really love that model boat and I think with a little care and a nice face lift it would be a great looking boat. I know i will be replacing the soft spot, and may have to do the stringers and transom if need be. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best like woodonglass said. I am looking forward to getting up to the boat and checking it out. I plan on talking the guy down a bit, I guess it helps that my occupation in finance at a car dealership, so I'm sure i can.

Friscoboater

Captain

It looks like there is moisture on the glass in one of those pictures. If it was covered and that is what it looked like when you took the cover off, you have a wet boat. Look at my thread for what it takes to fix a wet boat. Mine was doing the same thing.

jbowling

Cadet

I doubt it was covered before the pics were taken. I think it is some sort of filmy grime on the windows, however, I do not doubt that it is a wet boat. I still haven't seen it in person or purchased it. I have a refundable deposit on it while the engine and drive are being checked. Thanks for the link, I'm sure I will put it to good use.
-BOX

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to check the engine thoroughly

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking at that last pic, I would really look the hull over for any glass damage or cracks if you find damage then I would pass on that one.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

I have about the same boat (2000sr) in roughly the same shape when I got it, and paid 1800 for mine. I do feel like I paid a maybe 100-300 more than I could/should have, but it all comes down to what's available and how much you like the boat. I will say the front part of the deck will be harder to repair than the back since you are talking about getting under the bow seat frames. Hard to say exactly. You most likely have rot under the back seats and the deck as well. If the engine checks out with compression and what not it will be a solid runner. Alpha one will need maintenance, impleller, perhaps gimbal bearing, etc. but your mechanic will be able to tel you.

All that said, boats cost money. I like mine because it is not a bayliner and it is not white :). And mainly because it's mine. Here's a thread with some pics from mine.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2606199#post2606199

jbowling

Cadet

Thanks for all the support guys. I found this 20" 87 Chaparral Bowrider today. Think I am moving on it this weekend. Solid boat and water ready, but will know more when I can check the engine and everything else. I will keep ya'll posted. Hopefully it will be in a currently splashing forum. :D
Chap1.jpgchap2.jpgchap3.jpgchap4.jpg

jbowling

Cadet

Yeah she should be a nice ride. Can't wait to splash her. Sitting in my office all day getting the lake jitters.
-BOX