88 Sea Nymph Fish N Ski rebuild

coxswain

Cadet
Re: 88 Sea Nymph Fish N Ski rebuild

Nice project. Very similar to an SC SS. Is most of your corrosion in areas where the foam was? We have a theory that the foam traps water (possibly salt water) against the hull and causes corrosion. That one of the reasons why many of us have gone with sheet foam or noodles in our rebuilds. I powerwashed my hull inside before Gluvit-ing it and it came out really nice and got all the limber holes pretty well blown out.

I really don't think your going to find a better sealant than Gluvit. I did all my rivets and seams in my 18' with 1 quart. If you went with two quarts you should really be able to seal it up well. I would not mess with the bedliner.

Nice job on the power wash. I'll be thrilled if i can get mine that clean. Yes, all the corrsion is under where the foam was. Sides and transom look good.
I'll probably go with a gallon of gluvit, only a few bucks more than 2 qts. and I and slather it about with reckless abandon

Any thoughts on using the bedliner in leiyu of carpet? I'm hearing good things about it and really dont know of an alternatve to carpet.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There are marine specific non-slip coatings. Cabelas, BassPro, Overtons, have their own brands of it. Might want to look into those as well as Durbak and Kiwi Grip. I'm a pretty big fan of the marine vinyl that I went with. I wholeheartedly agree on the no-carpet.

coxswain

Cadet

Looks like a fun project! I too am a Nymph fan!

Be watch'in your progress! Have fun with it!

Welcome Aboard Broadcast. As mentioned in my first post, i'm not in a great hurry to finish but i will post pics as i go now that i've broken the ice. I'll be on vaca to Vegas next week so no updates then.
I like your rig, looks cozy in that cabin and good protection from the wind

coxswain

Cadet

pro boat cleaners use industrial toilet bowl cleaner.......this is an acid wash.

it will clean all gook off the boat......

im not a tinny guy so you might have to treat the alum with something else to seal it....

Thanks for the Tip, Opps!
I guess it would be poetic justice to use toilet cleaner on this Tub!

clint243

Cadet

I used the duraback on my older boat and I really liked the outcome ...and its very tough....but if you go with the non skid ...put two coats of it down and then a coat of smooth ...it costs a bit more but is very well worth it

Clint

coxswain

Cadet

DSCN3608.jpgDSCN3607.jpgDSCN3605.jpgDSCN3604.jpgDSCN3606.jpgDSCN3608.jpgDSCN3607.jpgDSCN3605.jpgDSCN3604.jpgDSCN3606.jpgOK...Its been a while since i updated this thread. Although i'm a lazy bum, i have been able to get some things accomplished. My priorities have changed a bit since i started this project. My main goal now is to get it in the water as its fishing season here in the sunny south. The main issue with this vessle was the fact it was taking on water fairly heavily. 2 to 3 or more gallons a trip. It was the galvanic corrision that had eaten right through the hull in several spots and a couple almost through.
I solved this by using SS bolts with JB Weld smeared on bot sides of the holes. See pics.
I then used Gluvit all over the inside of the boat. I bought a gallon and used it all. a bit overkill but its done.

coxswain

Cadet

Floor going in, livewell and consoles painted, front fishing plstform started

Attachments

• DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0

coxswain

Cadet

front fishing platform, consoles in

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0

coxswain

Cadet

Rear seat platform in, rear transome floor area. I bought an above deck 12 gal. gas tank to replace the 2 ancient 6 gal ones. more pics and progress tomorrow

Attachments

• DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00013.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

coxswain

Cadet

In the interest of getting this boat in the water, i'm just going to paint the floor with porch and deck paint, adding the non-skip pellets to the paint. Here it is primed and ready for a top coat. I figure i will build some storage/shelfves on the sides and box in the rear fuel area later.
Next big item is wiring this weekend003.jpg005.jpg002.jpg001.jpg004.jpg

Dave Brick

Seaman

coxswain...

Nice project! I have a 1987 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special 175, that really looks like it is pretty much the same boat. I'm thinking about a re-do as well. A couple questions:

-was your boat generally run in the ocean? I have no corrosion or pitting problems in mine at all, but I'm in the great lakes.

-The front seat/fishing deck...I have access doors to the storage space underneath. I'm wondering if you decided to get rid of those, or if that model never had them.

coxswain

Cadet

coxswain...

Nice project! I have a 1987 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special 175, that really looks like it is pretty much the same boat. I'm thinking about a re-do as well. A couple questions:

-was your boat generally run in the ocean? I have no corrosion or pitting problems in mine at all, but I'm in the great lakes.

-The front seat/fishing deck...I have access doors to the storage space underneath. I'm wondering if you decided to get rid of those, or if that model never had them.

Hi Dave,
how about some pics of your rig?

yes, there were original hatches in the front bow area. the floor up there was the first thing to go. My buddy stepped on a weak spot and went right thru the floor. I did a quickie replacement of the front floor in the bow section and didnt bother cutting in hatches.
I'll probably buy some hatches to cut in up there soon. wasnt a priority right now.

I have only own this boat 3 years and dont know the history of it so i cant say if it was in salt water. The pitting and corrision was due mostly to "galvanic corrosion" I'm assuming.
Maiden voyage was done on thursday of this week. I have family in town and had the boat finished enough to take them out for a couple hours.

5 people in the boat, not a drop of water came out of the drain plug after a day on the lake.
Mission Accomplished!!!
Good luck with your project. I'll post some more pics soon

Bill

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great Job on your rebuild! Your pace has mine beat and I want mine done quickly! I have a 1986 Sea Nymph Fish N ski its 15.5 ft and I have been working on it for almost 3 years threads oh here if ya wanna take a look. Got a quick question for ya... Were your consoles in that good of shape? Mine are full of holes and I am trying to figure out a solution... whether to just cover it with vinyl or plug the holes with something. Not sure if i have any pictures up but trust me it looks like someone took a shot gun to it. Any help you can give would be great! Post some pics of that beauty wet... everyone always loves a happy ending!

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

Looking good guy, I'm in the middle of a simalar project on a Sea Nymph Striper 191. Painting that might get you on the water faster but I don't think you'll be happy with it in the long run.
Keep posting! Your comming right along!

coxswain

Cadet

hi,
thanks for checking out my thread. i had to step up the pae because i had family visiting last month and theywanted toget out and do some fishing. My consoles we in pretty good shape, they had the holes where they screwed the vynal into them but that was it. I painted them up with some spray cans from the Depot and they came out good.
Maybe you could put some aluminum screen behind the holes and use some bondo to fill them in. as long as they are sound the rest is just asthetics.
I havent finished the sides yet, i dont think i will replace the metal shelf that was there, they are'nt really any good for road storage and that is what i need so i'm still planning a solution. may just use some thin plywood and build something. I'm too busy using it right now so that may have to wait till winter before is tackle that issue.

coxswain

Cadet

Looking good guy, I'm in the middle of a simalar project on a Sea Nymph Striper 191. Painting that might get you on the water faster but I don't think you'll be happy with it in the long run.
Keep posting! Your comming right along!

Welcome Ozdog,
yes, i cheaped out on the floor but figure it will suffice for the season and then i can re-think a solution next winter. I like your vynal floor. carpet is def. out. my main intent was to seal up the hull, i was taking on water. mission accomplished on that front, dry as a bone now!I love the funtionality of this boat. It suits my needs exactly. good for fishing with the pedestal seats, dry and no wind underway. I'm finding I may want a bit more room, the 17' is OK but gets a bit cramped at times. I cant find anything bigger thats has all the features i want though