88 OMC Seadrive 1.6 No RPM Not Charging

Wcsweb

Seaman
Hello,

I have an 88 OMC Seadrive v4 1.6 I have no rpm and is not charging. Does this issue point to a bad rectifier?

Also I have tried hooking the tach to the yellow wire from the stator and still no rpm. I also have a test rpm gauge that will not register any rpms aswell.

If I have to replace the rectifier looks like I have to pull the flywheel. Am I able to use a harmonic balancer puller to do this?

Thank You

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 OMC Seadrive 1.6 No RPM Not Charging

do these test first. i don't know which rectifer you have so here are both set of test http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190638

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190636

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

Wcsweb

Seaman

OK Tash.. Thank you for the response.

I was able to get the rpms working by connecting the gray wire to the yellow/gray wire. So does that mean the rectifier is bad?

Also in the meantime until I get the rectifier off my other motor is it ok to run the rpms hooked to the yellow wire?

Wcsweb

Seaman

Would a bad rectifier make your motor bog?

I had it out on the lake today and anything over 2000rpms she would bog. She ran great with muffs..........

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

did you clean the carbs,you did change motors receintly ,correct,if the eng laid around for a long time ,its likely your carbs tarnished

Wcsweb

Seaman

Hey Mike,

Yes I did swap the motor and the motor was laying for sometime. I have not cleaned the carbs yet. I guess thats a place to start. Would a bad rectifier cause bogging?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do the carbs, all the recitifier does is convert the AC electricity from the stator, to DC electricity to charge the battery, and send the pulse to tach.