88 Glastron wood and glass repair newb

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still reading about things like fiberglass materials and resins, using a resperator..As I cleaned more of this new(to us) boat I found more than I would have liked..
I was hoping at first that I could just do a couple of patches..But I have to admit this bare spot of transom has me worried..
It doesnt seem soft to the touch, but it was wet before I cleaned out the bilge area.
The fiberglass does only seam to got up the transom a short distance like I have read on another Glastron restore thread..
I have read a little about core samples...Should I really consider testing before I go any further.
It is our first boat and I dont want the drive to fall out the first time out..Motor is out for rebuild .
The rest of the deck seems rigid enough , motor mount as well..
Just looking for pointers or advice
TIA

Attachments

• 20 65.jpg
    20 65.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-66.jpg
    20-66.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20 64.jpg
    20 64.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20 67.jpg
    20 67.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 88 Glastron wood and glass repair newb

Sorry Tia .. Looks like a full blown uncap resto from your pics.

Could you scab in here and there..possible..but more time consuming and not as good as a full resto..

Inspect a little more if you like..but those pics dont suggest well for the rest of the boat..

YD.

rickryder

Commander

I would bet that rot is everywhere and the foam is soaked....core samples will give you the answers.... Good Luck !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First of all Welcome to iBoats!!!!

I have read a little about core samples...Should I really consider testing before I go any further. YES
It is our first boat and I dont want the drive to fall out the first time out..Motor is out for rebuild .
The rest of the deck seems rigid enough , motor mount as well..

Based on your above statements, I really think for the safety of all those who will be riding in this boat, you should do everything you can to ensure that this boat is SOLID and the transom and all structural components are in tip top shape. DO NOT take any chances.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am with yachtdr on this one. It looks pretty bad, and will need a complete restoration.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am with yachtdr on this one. It looks pretty bad, and will need a complete restoration.

Thanks all..
I was hoping it wasnt that bad , but I will investigate..I DID think it was a heavy tow when I pulled it home last year..
I am still trying to figure out where all the foam is on this thing..Most posts I have read , the foam is under the deck.
So far I am assuming I at least have foam under the lounge seat boxes, and the two boxes in back..The bilge, tank area and ski locker pretty much account for the middle of the hull.
So I am guessing there could be some on the outside of those stringers?
Judging by the hole in the pic its pretty empty in there..hmmm
Trying to compare my layout to your 81 sx. Looks kinda similar except for the motor mounts and deck layout for the seating ..

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

..I DID think it was a heavy tow when I pulled it home last year..

Water soaked wood and foam can add hundreds of pounds to a boat. I know I've weighed a few over the years. The last "really bad one" I redone was 480 LBS lighter when the restore was complete. That's like two extra adults in the boat with ya...

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Water soaked wood and foam can add hundreds of pounds to a boat. I know I've weighed a few over the years. The last "really bad one" I redone was 480 LBS lighter when the restore was complete. That's like two extra adults in the boat with ya...

Thanks again for the replies.
I guess I will have to go digging..I was wondering, is it a bad idea to put a hole in a stringer? I can easily try that from the fuel tank area.The reason I ask is to check for any water without digging out the lounge seat base.
Not sure if a 3/8 hole would drain any water in the foam or not..or go big enough to get a core sample..Waiting on a respirator before I do any drilling or cutting..
I am just starting to understand the structure of these boats.
I have seen a couple of good pics where the deck was tore up and I could see the layout . Of course diff boats than mine..
Is it possible there are only 4 stringers on my hull? it seems like there is only a small width of deck on either side of the tank/ bilge stringers before I notice what seems to be the fiberglass of the hull coming up to the sides..Not sure if that makes sense..
If you look at the blue carpet of my pics where it meets the deck, look at the section that is angling up towards the storage..This is the area I am wondering is just fiberglass hull? Or would the deck be built to angle up towards the sides with the hull??

Thanks in Advance
Chris P.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dug a little more today. Doesn't seem to be much foam under the deck. At least in the rear section of the boat. Just in the 4 boxes. Foam on port side was damp not soaked.. I will start here and see how far I get with examing this stringer. The other side seems a lot drier.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, more pics required. Hard to tell from your description exactly what you are describing.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok gang..
Tried to get a couple pics, but it was dark and starting to rain so I grabbed these quick under the tarp .lol
The pic of the hole is the area of deck between the lounge seat base(filled with foam) and the area of the rear box(filled with foam ) .(pic in the first post with the blue carpet) port side..no foam under there. I had cut this hole looking for foam , just going to rip it up anyway..oh well
The two pics with the cap popped off exposing the foam is the port side lounge seat base.
I will try to get better pics next time I am out there trying to get this section of wood deck out...
Will pull this foam out as well and see If I cant get a better look at this stringer ..
Still trying to figure out best way to detach the fiberglass overlapping the deck to hull side..guess grinding
At this point I am only coming up with these two major stringers in the back section of this boat..
Thanks

Attachments

• 20-69.jpg
    20-69.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-70.jpg
    20-70.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-71.jpg
    20-71.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0

rickryder

Commander

I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut along the plywood deck and the gunnel (hull side).

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut along the plywood deck and the gunnel (hull side).
I'm guessing you stay a safe distance away from the hull and grind the rest once the majority of the deck is removed..It looks so easy to go through..:eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend a circular saw. Set the blade 1/16" more than the thickness of the deck. That will insure you DON'T go thru the hull. Once you get the majority of the deck out then use the grinder. I like to use Sanding Discs with a Backup Pad, NOT the Flap discs. 24 or 34 grit will chew up anything it touches and do it FAST!!!! YOU MUST use a Respirator and goggles. NOT a DUST Mask a RESPIRATOR.

100 bucks for this one, no goggles required.

3M-6000-Full-Face-Respirator.jpeg

Or

$25 for this one Goggle required
3M-Organic-Vapor-Respirator-Kit.jpeg

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd recommend a circular saw. Set the blade 1/16" more than the thickness of the deck. That will insure you DON'T go thru the hull. Once you get the majority of the deck out then use the grinder. I like to use Sanding Discs with a Backup Pad, NOT the Flap discs. 24 or 34 grit will chew up anything it touches and do it FAST!!!! YOU MUST use a Respirator and goggles. NOT a DUST Mask a RESPIRATOR.

100 bucks for this one, no goggles required.

3M-6000-Full-Face-Respirator.jpeg

Or

$25 for this one Goggle required
3M-Organic-Vapor-Respirator-Kit.jpeg
A bud let me borrow one with the tin can screw on cartridges..Hopefully this will be OK..
I may have to run to the depot for some 24/34 grit discs..roughest I have now is 60..
Guess I really dont understand what to do with the wood glassed to the hull..At this joint or bond my hull sides are already coming up at an angle.talking the long way..I can only think to carefully grind the overlapped corner or cut shy enough to leave some deck bonded to the hull..No way I could get close enough without going through at that depth..
I am sure I dont want to just lift as I am guessing I could break the hull?
Still searching the forum for pics as to how others did it..
Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to get with in a inch or so to the edge of the hull. If your deck is 3/4" thick and you set the blade to a depth of 13/16" there is NO Way you can cut thru the hull. You can then use the grinder to grind off the "LIP" that will be left. DON"T worry about it, just dive in and get started. It'll be fine.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should be able to get with in a inch or so to the edge of the hull. If your deck is 3/4" thick and you set the blade to a depth of 13/16" there is NO Way you can cut thru the hull. You can then use the grinder to grind off the "LIP" that will be left. DON"T worry about it, just dive in and get started. It'll be fine.
OK I am on board with what you are saying now, thats the picture I had in my mind...As soon
as I start cutting I will get some pics and post back.
Thanks so much guys, very helpfull.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I started cutting and have come to the conclusion that I need to try the die grinder/deburing bit trick for some of these corners IF I go any further....
Finding out what you guys already knew..
While the stringer looks nice and covered in fiberglass, it is definately saturated with water and so is the transom. poked around with a 1/4" drill.. some areas were damp others nice and juicy..
Now the decision making...I didnt mind the idea of working a new deck...Not sure how I feel about stringers and transom...
I had 200lbs bouncing on the drive..seems solid, but I guess it wont last for long..
And even though the foam is not mush, there is water still sitting under the deck, Could it still be draining from the foam??? being above the deck I am guessing no, but I could be wrong..this thing was outside uncovered...
Hard lesson.. Good points are...i have a 3.0 just about ready to rock , new seats and aI Love the style of the boat....I am already being told to move on and find a boat that just needs a motor...not ready to give up just yet.. Really like this Glastron
Not sure just yet

BTW I think I will be looking at a full face respirator..I dont feel the one I had fit my face 100%

Attachments

• 20-75.jpg
    20-75.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-77.jpg
    20-77.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-78.jpg
    20-78.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-73.jpg
    20-73.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry Tia .. Looks like a full blown uncap resto from your pics.

Could you scab in here and there..possible..but more time consuming and not as good as a full resto..

Inspect a little more if you like..but those pics dont suggest well for the rest of the boat..

YD.

I have been watching..

This is why I Strongly suggest pics and evaluation Before asking the next step.

This boat is a full blown resto.. I knew it when the first set of pics came in..

This is going to cost you big bucks m8..and alot of time/measurements/supplies etc..

Your choice.

YD.

PS. At least some of my suggestions of Proper Safety Gear is rubbing off here from other posters ( Like the Full face respo .. and links to go with it :) ) .