88 bayliner capri restore!!! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! NEW TO THIS!

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 bayliner capri restore!!! PICTURES..finally!

I might be breaking the rules not sure someone tell me if I am please. But I would go online with marinepartssource.com and call them they usually have the best deals that I know of to get parts.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I might be breaking the rules not sure someone tell me if I am please. But I would go online with marinepartssource.com and call them they usually have the best deals that I know of to get parts.

I don't think you are, we are always putting up .coms here as sources of information for each other...but if we are, one of the mods will jump in and let us know...:redface:
Also, when you are shopping for parts or supplies, it pays to do a lot of it...ask vendors questions like, "Do you Price Match"...If thay are within reasonable driving distance, ask if you can pick up to save on shiping costs...

njboatman

Cadet

well thanks again maagee, ill check out that site right now

njboatman

Cadet
Re: 88 bayliner capri restore!!! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! NEW TO THIS!

well i havent done much more to the boat this passed week. i might try to get some done tomorrow morning because its back to work again on monday and after work, the time isnt working out too well for me.

thins to do are cus into the rear port and starboard seating frames to pull the rest of the deck up, ill check my motor mount block and the bulkheads between the stringers...after that, measure how much CSM i am going to need to do my job of fixing it properly!

njboatman

Cadet

well its been a couple of weeks since i have had any progress. I ended up just cutting out most of the framing to pull the floor up on both sides of the motor. I did not pull the motor, too much of a hassel! Ill try to get a season out of it and maybe ill worry about replacing the transom next winter if it is bad! doesnt look bad not tho!

now to get some grinding done and cleaning! then buy all of my materials i need from uscomposites.com! they seemed to have the best deals and prices out of a handfull of websites i looked at!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Man I tried to do the same thing you did. Thank God I went for a trial run before I did interior work. I set her in the water and she proceeded to sink right on the trailer. If you can at least install the bilge plug and fill the bilge with water. You will see it come out around the drive long before it goes into the bellows if you have a rotten transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you "Core Sampled" the transom. If it's bad and you don't do it now you WILL have to remove the New Deck you put in and PUll the motor to replace it when it goes bad in the future. Just so you know.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you are running an omc....that is a diffeent anumal than the mercs....

i have not torn apart an omc..(i refuse to).....but the parts needed for it are not the same as the mercs.

since you have ripped and stripped the frame around the motor...

now is the time to look very closely at the transom...it is far easier to do it now than later....so have a good look.
if you need a transom, and dont do it now....you will need to rip the rear deck back up...cut the stringers,,,and re foam.
so now is the time to do it.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If u replace it now. You will thank all of us later.

njboatman

Cadet

well, i guess i have a few questions to ask before i proceed with the core samples. where do i drill? how many holes? how big and how deep? :p i looked at the transom where the steering linkage goes to the outdrive and it is very dry and very clean wood. would that matter? does it mean that the transom is not bad at the bottom or is it gonna be bad?

i have an OEM OMC service manual at my shop, should remove everythign (engine and outdrive) and put it back together on a makeshift transom, or should i put the engine on a pallet and the outdrive on a seperate stand?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the picture of the transom I posted. I dont care if it is a merc or a omc they all start rotting there. I pulled my outdrive and strapped it on the wall. Engine stayed on the puller. Transom was done in one day. Reinstalled the drive train the next. As far as drilling I do not see anyone being able to take a core sample as low as my rot was. At least with the engine in place. All you need to do is drill in about an inch. That should get you through the first layer and into the second. It needs to be low on the transom. I would use a 3/8 drill or a little smaller. Be careful I have done this and let the water out of a soaked transom.

njboatman

Cadet

so i messed up and started a new thread, my mistake and should have just kept this topic in this one! well i have not put any money into this boat except to buy 1/2" foam for templates. but still, i talked to a friend and he said is it really worth it to put all my time and whatever money it costs to rebuild this boat, get a starter which is like 150, fix the prop shaft which is bent, rebuild the interior and other stuff for a boat that has a motor whos parts are obsolete?

he said to save my money and put it towards a newer boat, that doesnt need any work and that has a mercruiser engine in it...which sounds great to me. but i just dont know for sure what i want to do....any tips?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Do what feels right...in the end it is your money and sweat that go into it...if you can save up enough cash to buy a newer, ready to splash boat...then by all means go for it...if, on the other hand, money is hard to come by and you have the time and desire to tackle a very rewarding project...well, I know where I stand on that...

Whatever decision you make, make it for your own reasons, limitations, desires, and aspirations...when the bell tolls, it is the only opinion that matters...

Best of Luck on whatever you decide and know that the Iboats community will back you up...

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with GT.

When I purchased my boat I had no idea what I was in for. Looking back I paid about $500 too much for the boat because I had boat fever and wanted it. I had no idea what I was in for until I came to this forum and started reading. Careful shopping, and only spending money where it was needed, and time got me in the water that first season. The next season I wet sanded and buffed the cap, this year I am going to buff the hull and add my fishing gear to the boat. I plan to keep it a couple more years and yank my gear and buy a newer boat.

Now, with that said, sometimes it is better to cut bait and run for shore before you sink. I made dang sure I was going to stay within a budget and not get crazy just for the sake of having a nice boat. I was fortunate, while the interior is not all that pleasing color wise (late 80's pastels), it is still somewhat presentable. If the interior had been totally trashed i probably would have passed on the boat altogether.

Ultimately it is your decision. If you proceed, you will end up with a solid 88 Bayliner if done right.

Note that GLM has a line of parts for the Cobra drive. A prop shaft is about $254 for a Cobra http://www.iboats.com/GLM-22414-replacement-parts/dm/view_id.459362 , plus all other items need for reassembly. Just about any part you need is out there. I will say some will cost more than that of a Merc, but you can get them.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You also have to look at newer boats, Are you buying a newer pile of rot? Ask Frisco or check out his Searay thread. I looked at many rotten hulls and just so happen to get struck on my Baylinner cuddy with OMC drive. I can always install a Merc out drive if I need to We have been using this boat for 3 to 4 years without trouble. Lots cuss the OMC but I love mine.

rickryder

Commander

Ahhh another Jersey guy! Let me know if I can lend a hand if your going to rebuild something;) I'm in Franklin Boro. Sussex Co.