88 bayliner capri restore!!! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! NEW TO THIS!

njboatman

Cadet
Hello all,

New to this so here i go. i bought this boat in june 2011 for $300 because it had no spark. Put a $6 condensor in it and started right up within a few minutes. but as for my first boat, i didnt see any rotting, didnt really know what to look for i should say! just that the seats were crappy. so after getting it running, i then found the soft spots. So recently i looked at videos from Friscoboater's youtube page on his sea ray and made me wanna dive right into my boat. So on sunday, i completely tore into it...all the seats, all the vinyl accessories, windows and carpet (except motor cus i have no way of getting it out). I then ripped up some of the floor and found a swimming pool next to the stringers with water logged foam. tearing everything out is the easy part. but now i am stumped...i have back to back seat bases glassed into the floor and the side of the boat. i have the bow seat framing also glassed all over and same with the two seats in the back of the boat on either side of the motor which that wooden framework is glassed into back of the boat and also slapped against the transom and glassed. transom looks to be in good shape along with the stringers. so my main concern is once my new floor is down, how can i guarantee that i can place all of the correct framing in the same exact spots that i cut it out of? i was thinkin of maybe throwing down that pink foam insulation, tracing where everything is before i cut it out and then once the floor is down, uses the pink template to trace the bases...please any and all help is appreciated!!

sry for any confusion, its hard to explain what i need and what im looking for.

thanks for all your help!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri

hi....welcome to iboats.....

first off.....lets get more info on your stringers and transom....

lets also check if the foam is good or if it needs to come out.....you had a wet floor, so im betting you have a bit more than a swimming pool.

ok.....take a pvc pipe and cit two teeth into it.......then jam that into the foam at the back of the boat near the motor and stringers.

pull out the pvc and look at the core.....is there water in the foam?...if so, the foam needs to come out. it wont ever dry out, and if it ever gets wet again it will be like a sponge.

lets find out about that before we have you replace the deck...

click the link in my sig for some of the other info you were asking about...

when you are ready, we can guide you step by step thru this...you will be boating by spring !

cheers
oops

njboatman

Cadet

okay well i dug into my boat more today!! i drew up a few templates for my seat bases so i know exactly where they go when i put down my new deck. then i got into the bow section of framework. i got a template out for the very top of the wood frame...only made one cus the boat is symmetrical. but as i got to the once vertical side panel....i noticed that it is not right up against the hull, has about a 3/4" gap from the very tip until it hits the deck then it is seated on the deck. any ideas why that is??

njboatman

Cadet
88 bayliner capri restore!!! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! NEW TO THIS!

okay...here goes nothing!! i am fixing up my boat to get it ready for the summer. watched all of Fiscoboaters videos and looked at pictures on his website and what a ton of info!

but anyway let me begin, has I/O 3.0 OMC, 19 footer 8 seater. now i started the demolition on sunday now im down to tearing out the seat frames. but i am unsure of something, im at the bow and i noticed that there a significant gap between the hull and a bunch of the framing pieces. almost 3/4"...it runs down the hull and then finally it meets the floor deck and it is sitting on top of it...i dont get it!.

is the wood on the hull not supposed to touch it? why or why not?

is the wood for a new deck supposed to have a gap also all the way around the boat to be filled in with resin?

i have seat framing in the stern for two seats on either side of the motor. (motor still in boat) the framing is tied into the back of the boat, how can i get it cut out without having to remove the motor?

is it possible to cut out the back to back seat framing, clean it up and reuse it and put it back in where it was once the new deck is down?

im trying to make templates for everything but man what a long tedious task!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 bayliner capri restore!!! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! NEW TO THIS!

hi jersey.

welcome to iboats.

as far as the gap.....bliner was not the best in those years....lol

but we really need to see pictures of what you are talking about.

if you take pictures, up load to photo bucket......then re size to 640 x 480 (or close) then just copy and paste the img tag in your post.

the seat framing can be salvaged.....and just put back on the new deck.

as far as the motor....pulling it is easy and for a rotted rear deck in a bliner, i would suggest it.

there a bazzillion threads on the same boat as yours, hit search, and you will see them.

but post pics to your project and wee will guide you to a great restoration.

cheers
oops

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you look at the bottom of your thread you will see several threads on similar boats. Like OOPS says PICS really help us to see what you are seeing and then we can give you some educated advice on how to proceed. Stringers are kept off the hull to prevent "Hard Spots" on the hull. These spots will cause the hull to crack due to the inability for it to flex under stress. The PB or PL bedding material will allow the hull to flex and avoid this cracking or checking. 1/8 to 1/4 inch is all that's required.

njboatman

Cadet
Re: 88 bayliner capri restore!!! PICTURES..finally!

this is my progress...or lack there of haha. started last sunday tearing into it. didnt work everyday, only when i had time. i have almost everything out except the two seats on either side of the motor, still undecided on what i am going to do with the seat framing...here are some pictures! and ill point out where i was talking about the 3/4" gap in the front piece of the seat framing where it came up to the hull in the bow.

after all the interior accessories were taken out, this is what i was left with.
2012-02-13_17-27-59_672.jpg

2012-02-13_17-57-40_541.jpg

as you can see here where there is no foam, there is a 3/4" gap i can stick my fingers between the wood and the hull
2012-02-16_21-25-15_216.jpg

another picture of the big gap i have...should it be there? when i prepare the new seat framing, should i just keep it the same way?
2012-02-16_21-24-58_927.jpg

after using my grinder with a 4.5 cutting wheel and a sawzall
2012-02-18_15-51-50_594.jpg

njboatman

Cadet

95 percent of the insides of this boat are out.
2012-02-20_18-49-52_956-1.jpg

here is whats left to remove...not sure how i am going to do this if i dont remove the motor
2012-02-20_18-54-23_138.jpg

my only concern is the framing you see directly in the center of this picture. it is glassed into the back of the boat. is there anyway of cutting this out so i can repair the floor and remove the rest of the wet foam without taking the motor out?
2012-02-20_18-52-44_301.jpg

this is where it goes up the back of the boat...both sides of course
2012-02-20_18-53-13_623.jpg

here is some rot in the rest of the deck in the rear of the starboard side...someone told me not to even bother tearing it out...cut it open and take out as much of the wet foam i can get, glass it and put a new piece of wood over that same with the rear port side. seems like the easy way to do it but it isnt the right way.
2012-02-20_18-53-30_708.jpg

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. is there any way to replace all of the framing that goes up the back of the boat and glass it correctly without removing the motor? could i maybe cut out just the wood thats only the deck directly so i can replace the rest of the rotten deck? all that is left of the deck is the rear starboard and port sides and those pieces are 12" by 24" long.

thanks for all the help

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like that u r fixing the boat but my question is y the byliner they r one of the worst build boats out there. Is there something u like about it? Im not trying to be mean about ur restore but most people wouldn't bother with it. Also what motor and drive does it have? If they r anything but merc u will have a very hard time finding parts for both WHEN u need them.

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am no expert but from what I have read here one of the more expreienced people will tell you that you NEED to pull that motor, tear up that floor (because it probably way worse than it looks) Drill some cores samples of your transom and go from there. I am assuming those stringers are bad, but you prolly wnt to core those too. You may need to pull the cap if you are doing the transom.

For the OMC, I want to say that looks like a Cobra, may be Ok to keep since I think they are easier to convert to Merc (if needed) than the older OMC's.

Bayliners do have sorta a bad rep, but all rebuilt they can look pretty sharp.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you want to do it right, the motor needs to come out.

njboatman

Cadet

Well maagee, i wasnt planning on doing so much work to this boat but seeing that i only paid 300 bucks for it, i think it was a descent investment to put some money into it and make it right so i could possibly make my money back and then some when i go to sell this boat. the motor is a 3.0 OMC with a cobra outdrive, the boat parts shouldnt be an issue as long as i look around for what i am going to need to get good enough pricing.

njboatman

Cadet

I know i have to pull the motor...not something i really want to do but i guess at this point, i have no choice. if i want to fix the rotten deck correctly, thats what i have to do.

like i said, the stringers look really solid. i guess it wouldnt hurt to do a core sample on them and also the transom. the transom on this boat is only about 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet. so it seems. doesnt look bad either but ill have to dig deeper.

now if i decide to take the motor out, should i put the trim down and remove the outdrive so it is completely vertical?

will i need to buy seal kits to put everything back together?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Well maagee, i wasnt planning on doing so much work to this boat but seeing that i only paid 300 bucks for it, i think it was a descent investment to put some money into it and make it right so i could possibly make my money back and then some when i go to sell this boat. the motor is a 3.0 OMC with a cobra outdrive, the boat parts shouldnt be an issue as long as i look around for what i am going to need to get good enough pricing.

Hi and welcome,

Hope everything works out...I'll be watching as you progress

JMHO...I don't think you should be thinking about re-couping your investment...from what I have seen here, some of the most expensive boats are those that we bought cheap or got for free...:)

The advice of the gurus here is the most valuable asset of iboats, most have been there and done it...;)

Best of Luck,
GT1M

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AYes I would buy all new seals and gimbals ***. As well as a new bellow, gimbal bearing ect.as for making any money on it not sure I bought and sold a 88 2 yrs ago and only got 1700 for it and it wasn't in bad shape.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I hope you are not doing this to make money. That is a parts boat to use on one to make money. I love the Bayliners I have a 88 model cuddy. I will almost bet the transom is rotten. I do not think I have ever seen a Bayliner with a good transom that old. Yes you will need a transom kit and an alignment tool to put it back together. My transom looked great at the top.

PIC_0391.jpg

Top section in the picture is the bottom. You have a great looking boat. To make it a great boat it will take time and money. My 88 isnt for sale I love it. But I built it solid with no intention of recouping any thing but fun from her.

I wish you the best for your build and hope you see it though to the end.

njboatman

Cadet

dont know what happened, messed up my post haha will continue with correct one!

njboatman

Cadet

Hi and welcome,

Hope everything works out...I'll be watching as you progress

JMHO...I don't think you should be thinking about re-couping your investment...from what I have seen here, some of the most expensive boats are those that we bought cheap or got for free...:)

The advice of the gurus here is the most valuable asset of iboats, most have been there and done it...;)

Best of Luck,
GT1M

well thanks!!

yea i mean i dont plan on just dumping this boat off after im done with it! id like to use it for as long as i can until i find something better/newer that doesnt need any work.

when it comes time to sell, i know that i did this boat correctly and it may be worth something!! or maybe i just keep it and start a boat collection along with my 1993 sweetwater pontoon boat and maybe another newer one haha

njboatman

Cadet

AYes I would buy all new seals and gimbals ***. As well as a new bellow, gimbal bearing ect.as for making any money on it not sure I bought and sold a 88 2 yrs ago and only got 1700 for it and it wasn't in bad shape.

well do u know how much $$$ i am looking at for new seals, gimbals, bellow, gimbal bearing ect??

ill spend the money no matter what, just wanna get an idea! thanks

njboatman

Cadet

I hope you are not doing this to make money. That is a parts boat to use on one to make money. I love the Bayliners I have a 88 model cuddy. I will almost bet the transom is rotten. I do not think I have ever seen a Bayliner with a good transom that old. Yes you will need a transom kit and an alignment tool to put it back together. My transom looked great at the top.
You have a great looking boat. To make it a great boat it will take time and money. My 88 isnt for sale I love it. But I built it solid with no intention of recouping any thing but fun from her.

I wish you the best for your build and hope you see it though to the end.

not looking to make money, just a thought! i would like to keep this boat for a few seasons. maybe some long road trips with her too. i am going to try to remove engine and outdrive this weekend! HOPEFULLY!! i do have an OMC cobra outdrive service manual so i am sure ill find the correct steps for removal so i can dig into my transom!