88 40hp johnson vro, lower unit oil chng.

BABYNINO

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
2
I just recently changed my lower unit oil, I just recently obtained this engine and noticed that there are 3 screws in the lower unit, bottom is for drain, middle im assuming is for the fill level, now there is a third screw just below where the lower unit seperates..anybody know what that screw is for...any help muck appreciated..<br /><br />thanx.
 

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
245
Re: 88 40hp johnson vro, lower unit oil chng.

If you are referring to the phillips head, do not remove. Thats the shift fork pin.
 

BABYNINO

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
2
Re: 88 40hp johnson vro, lower unit oil chng.

THANX ALOT FOR THE RESPONSE, NOW SHOULD I FILL THE OIL TO THE UPPER MOST SCREW, IS THAT THE LEVEL IT SHOULD BE AT..
 

ob

Admiral
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
6,992
Re: 88 40hp johnson vro, lower unit oil chng.

Yes.Fill from the bottom hole until it weeps out the top.
 
Top