87 Four Winns 210 Horizon resto

rickryder

Commander
Well now that it's winter my mind is filled with all kinds of ideas for more boat work... I just bought 2 new bucket seats for the helm...when we were doing the resto a few areas were just done quickly and on the cheap. Not anything with the structure just cosmedics.

The gunnel side panels were covered with a cheap carpet and within the last few years is shot. My new thought since this is primarily a fishing rig is to lose the carpet and glass and gel those panels.. ok so here is the question...poly and glass over the wood then gel coat or epoxy on wood and gel?

Thoughts??

I am also thinking of adding docking lights in the hull...a windlass and pulpit for the anchor and split nav lights on the bow..that's a good start. Lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Compromise...Vinylester and then Gel!!!!

Hope you and the Admiral and the Rest of your family have a...
Blessed and Merry Christmas!!!!

rickryder

Commander
So I won't need any glass if I use the vinyl ester? Sorry never used it before...

Last edited:

rickryder

Commander
Here are the seats I picked up on Iboats :biggrin1:

Thinking of these nav lights

I really like these docking lights

The dock lights come with a halogen 35w bulb but the housing is rated up to 50w so I'm thinking a 50w xenon upgrade would make these good driving lights....they are also adjustable 15 degrees up & down.

Still looking around for a windlass and pulpit....
Some of them have a big price tag....that's beyond Bust Out Another Thousand :jaw:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes, sorry you still need to use CSM with the Vinylester, it's just that VE is a better adhesive on wood and has more epoxy type qualities. A bit more pricey but IMHO worth it. I'll be using it in most of my projects in the future, especially in areas where "Flexibility" may be an issue. When poly flexes The more I research it, the more I'm impressed with it.

rickryder

Commander
Hmmmm guess I'll have to weigh all the options, cost and time... time being the thing I have the least of..... need to measure up all the area and figure out sq footage and run the numbers ;)

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ifn' you're wantin' to save money you could use the Old Timer's Formula on the wood and then Paint it and it would last for Decades!!!:D

rickryder

Commander
Well I seem to have found a windlass... I checked my bow area to see if I had the room to mount and the room for the rode to free fall into the anchor locker. I should have enough room.

Now mounting the windlass and bow roller... I was thinking of cutting a piece of 3/4" ply...csm and resin... and add that at the bow under the cap and then mount all the windlass parts through the cap and plywood so to transfer the load and torque on the fiberglass cap. Do you think I should PB the ply to the cap or just let the hardware bolted through it hold it in place?? It's really in a tight spot to work so grinding or glassing ain't gonna happen.

The windlass

I want it something like this but my access will be under the bow seat cushion.

rickryder

Commander
I think I will be adding a bow cleat also so I can tie off to that and not rely on the windlass to hold it..

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
RR, sorry to hear about the wife buddy, glad to hear she's getting better.
Nice helm chairs you picked out. Will you have to cut and install the docking lights or does your boat already have them installed and your replacing them?

rickryder

Commander
Hey PG I have no lights in the hull so I'll be cutting them in along with the nav lights..

I haven't really updated on the little woman but we have been swept backwards and it's coming back with a vengeance....not looking good but we are trying to stay positive....Maybe we can see another Christmas next year...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Only the Best you You and your Queen. I hope the New Year brings you and yours only the best.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hope you post pics or a vid on how you cut them in and seal them up. Really cool stuff buddy.

You have a PM

rickryder

Commander
No Title

This was spring this year...first ever striper trip for the Admiral She hauled in these 2- 40" beauties. We hope to get out again this spring if she is up to it...

Attachments

• photo213559.jpg
    photo213559.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: