87 bayliner capri floor restore

baylinercapri89

Recruit
i am trying to restore my bayliner capri and ran into what i think is a problem when i removed the carpet. The wood seems rotten, can i sand the floor and re seal or should i go the extra mile and rip out the old floor and redo it? what is the floor resealed with? if i do remove the floor what is all involved? any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 bayliner capri floor restore

Welcome to iBoats!

I KNOW you won't want to hear this, but....I don't think your floor can be sanded and restored.:( It will NEED to be replaced. Do an advanced search here on the Forum using "Deck Replacement" as your key words. You'll find A LOT of threads showing/telling you what all is involved. You may LUCK OUT and not have any damage below deck BUT... be prepared there could be a LOT more work hiding under the deck for you.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome! Look for threads by friscoboater. I hear his fiberglass rebuild videos and threads are close to the gold standard when it comes to glass. Can't say for sure because my beauty is all aluminum ;) ... but check him out.

P3FE

Seaman

No, you cannot just sand it. Get a grinder, grind the glass off and pull up the deck. Then grind off the stringers and check them too. Also inspect the sub-deck foam. Willing to bet you that the stringers and other areas are rotten too. I had a similar problem: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383182
Good luck-